Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 25-11-2013, 01:28 AM
Raven Poet

[quote=pgrundy]The pony video reminded me of when my husband's Malamute came to live with us. QUOTE]
Hi pgrundy. I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved four-legged friend. I too am a dog person - I can never see myself living without a dog in my home.

Here's a weird connection I had when you said the pony video reminded you of a dog - a Dakota Elder recently shared a powerful story with me, in which a Medicine person brought gifts out of a sacred fire for 4 young men on a journey to help their community. One of the gifts was a small four-legged being that eventually turned into a HORSE, but when it first came out of the fire, the Medicine person called it a SACRED DOG.
Old 25-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Suspended
[quote=Raven Poet]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrundy
The pony video reminded me of when my husband's Malamute came to live with us. QUOTE]
Hi pgrundy. I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved four-legged friend. I too am a dog person - I can never see myself living without a dog in my home.

Here's a weird connection I had when you said the pony video reminded you of a dog - a Dakota Elder recently shared a powerful story with me, in which a Medicine person brought gifts out of a sacred fire for 4 young men on a journey to help their community. One of the gifts was a small four-legged being that eventually turned into a HORSE, but when it first came out of the fire, the Medicine person called it a SACRED DOG.

Excellent Post. Thank You.
Old 25-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Medicine_Dog

Indeed Raven Poet, excellent

Makes my Username feel even more powerful!

Thanks for sharing
Old 27-11-2013, 03:37 AM
Medicine_Dog

I think the topic has reached its high, a lot of us shared what we thought about the wheel; each perspective valuable and noted. I would now like to offer some comparative concepts from other cultures.

1. Alchemy- "Squaring the Circle" this translated as: square being the physical world, the four cardinal directions,the four major elements, etc.. And a Circle represented the spiritual world. The process of squaring out a circle was the method for scientifically measuring the spiritual world. Alchemist truly believed they mastered this concept; ultimately with modern math they deduced it's not physically possible to square the circle without rounding the numbers off. No surprise, science can't answer all the questions; hence no lead into gold.

2.Freemasonry- The "Square and Compasses" ultimately represent the same as in Alchemy. Blending science and spirit again with the Circle encompassing the Square.

3. The Medicine Wheel- Quartered Circle , each quarter representing physical elements, all of which encompassed in the spiritual circle. (No more explanation necessary I think)

Blending the Physical world with the spiritual is the common theme. Each example tracing its roots back to different areas of the world in antiquity..

The Native Americans appeared to have some of the earliest examples of this concept.

Collective unconscious or Coincidence? You decide
Old 27-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Suspended
The circle can be mutated into many designs and concepts, by various people, to fit their ways of thinking and perceiving. We must be careful not to diagram and divide the circle so much, that we turn it into a co-co clock that runs backward.

The Medicine Wheel is a spinning living concept that must not be held still to long, or it will die. Thus, if you "Square" the circle it will die.
Old 27-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Medicine_Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Bow
The Medicine Wheel is a spinning living concept that must not be held still to long, or it will die. Thus, if you "Square" the circle it will die.

Perhaps that's how it existed for so long amongst native cultures.

The Alchemist where the ones who where doing the squaring; And Like I said-- it's impossible..

Quote:
In 1882, the task was proven to be impossible, as a consequence of the Lindemann–Weierstrass theorem which proves that pi (π) is a transcendental, rather than an algebraic irrational number; that is, it is not the root of any polynomial with rational coefficients. It had been known for some decades before then that the construction would be impossible if pi were transcendental, but pi was not proven transcendental until 1882. Approximate squaring to any given non-perfect accuracy, in contrast, is possible in a finite number of steps, since there are rational numbers arbitrarily close to π.

<from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squaring_the_circle >

The expression "squaring the circle" is sometimes used as a metaphor for trying to do the impossible.

The wheel lives on, I'm not sure it can really die; maybe just to us....

*Edited by SF Staff to add link to source as required by law.

Last edited by arive nan : 27-11-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 27-11-2013, 07:47 PM
pgrundy

[quote=Raven Poet]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrundy
The pony video reminded me of when my husband's Malamute came to live with us. QUOTE]

What a good story.

An Ojibway friend of mine told me a story similar to that a long time ago after I'd been through a big loss. She said she had a small table that was really ugly that she picked up for free out of the trash. One day there was a house fire and by the time she got home, everything was burned except the table, which had so many coats of paint on it that all the fire did was melt the paint. Under the paint was a beautiful and carefully crafted picture made with tiny piece of wood (I think this is called marquetry).

I guess that doesn't have anything to do with a dog.

The point of the story was that going through fire is sometimes necessary to reveal the deeper, truer nature of a thing (or person).

This woman and I cross each other's paths and become close again at regular intervals, like we are on the same spiral or something. We have both noticed this. I think maybe that is what is meant by medicine?

Thank you for sharing the dog story. I miss that dog.
Old 31-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Experiencer
I guess this is getting a little more literal about the wheel than most people would suggest, but when it comes to the colors of a physical medicine wheel, does anyone know if it is all right to... well... customize the colors? I understand that the most common colors seen all stand for something very special and important, as well as the colors of the compass. I've commonly used the European (I suppose) colors of the compass (Green, Yellow, Red, and Blue). Since it's for my own personal use (and I have more than a little European blood in me), would anyone be terribly offended if I used the colors I'm used to?

Or is that just not kosher/cricket/done/etc.?
Old 16-02-2014, 12:32 PM
MrKappa

I honestly wondered if there is any purposeful shared symbolism between a Medicine Wheel, and a Dream Catcher.

Shamans sitting in the center, preparing for astral journeys or spiritual awakenings.