Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 07-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Master
dont know if this helps at all chakragal, but it popped into my mind when you were speaking of shiva and ganesha etc., I see GOD like a diamond and he has many facets, some facets appeal to us others do not, but ultimately, shiva, krishna braham jesus, they are all just portals of the one god. Mother meera says in one of her books. `pray to whoever, all your prayers come to me`and this is what she is reffering too, they are ALL god.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:55 PM
chakragal

Thank you for Krishna-prem for clarifying looking at the philosophy as well.
The vegetarian part of ISKCON is fine-I'm vegetarian but do consume eggs, but no meat or seafood. I wouldn't be able to honor the egg part. I totally consume caffeine, but as a soothing morning cup of coffee thing mostly. I can live without garlic, but onions are added in my food all the time, and there is no way I could eat with my family. While I appreciate the Krishna focus, I'm not hip on total dietary restrictions like no onions as I don't see where Krishna on the total relative order of things, could find fault with that. I'm sure ISKCON has its reasons, but again, I don't like anything that makes absolute insistences like that. Just like I don't think a Roman Catholic saying ten hail Marys as penance does anything if the person turns around and does the same thing and confesses that "offense" again. It's not a laundromat. That's forced and going along with "the package deal" without really knowing why, and that is so totally not what I want-it's what I'm trying to get away from. I want something that feels natural.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:57 PM
chakragal

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
dont know if this helps at all chakragal, but it popped into my mind when you were speaking of shiva and ganesha etc., I see GOD like a diamond and he has many facets, some facets appeal to us others do not, but ultimately, shiva, krishna braham jesus, they are all just portals of the one god. Mother meera says in one of her books. `pray to whoever, all your prayers come to me`and this is what she is reffering too, they are ALL god.

absolutely. people are individuals with their own minds-good analogy! One God.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:30 AM
Krishna-prem

Hi Chakragal,

I should start this by saying I in no way represent Iskcon- I'm not even the same sampradaya as them but here is their understanding- The dietary restrictions are not about someone being at fault or done out of fear of reprisal from Krishna. It has to do with the fact that in Hinduism we place foods into three categories- Sattvic, Rajasic, and Tasmic. Sattvic foods are the foods that are appropriate for offering to God. They exclude any meat, eggs, caffeine, or alcohol. These foods move the mind toward the modes of goodness. Rajasic foods include meat, garlic, onions, and alcohol move the mind toward the mode of passion. Tasmic foods including eggs and mushrooms are in the mode of darkness and are heavily polluting. It's about the impact the food has on one's mental states. Also it's thought that only prasadam: food offered to God is fit for our consumption so rajasic and tasmic foods are out.

With Iskcon their dietary rules are in place because when they were founded they were an order of renounciants. It was not until fairly recently that there has been a rise in the congregational population who do not keep sanyasi rules.

Like I said too, people follow the rules to the best of their abilities.

Aum Hari Aum!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:51 PM
chakragal

thanks again Krishna-prem-that was helpful.
I still know ISKCON is not for me. I prefer a less visible presence, and not one that necessarily promotes anything organizational. Hinduism itself seems very free, and a home shrine would be just as well; one wouldn't have to go to a temple to "be a Hindu" or follow Dharma. The ISKCON devotees I have seen in public have always been benign, unlike flat out proselytizing Fundamentalist Christians who I truly have seen standing with hateful messages. But I prefer a quiet, totally unassuming religious/spiritual path where people find their own way.
Old 13-08-2011, 08:37 PM
aquafire

Hi chakragal...
I do agree, hinduism is something very free.. Hinduism and concepts of hinduism itself differs from place to place in India.. it is mainly a way of living which was practised within india. so depending on the main duties the individuals had, the duty to god was also different.

i am born and brought up as a hindu from south india. i go to temple like on a weekly basis.. and i pray on a daily basis.. but i dont know many mantras.. my prayers are usually -- god pls help me get this, god thank u for giving me this etc...

after reading what u have said, it seems its best u go to the temple when its not crowded and do any prayers u feel like doing, sit and meditate, or anything of that sort.. what i feel with these prayers is that its just a way to take our mind closer to god away, which ever way u choose its ok. maybe u could try some yoga, charity service which will take u closer to god than any mantras.

this is just my personal view point which i felt i should share..
Old 14-08-2011, 02:31 AM
chakragal

aquafire:
Thank you for your feedback. I am in fact going to yoga!
And as I heard the sanskrit mantras and just the spiritual message, I opted to learn more, knowing the roots are from Hinduism, kind of like a natural gravity toward exploring it. Just attending my weekly class has made me feel closer to God than ever. I also do yoga at home-a little bit every day. I listen to Kirtan, pray, and meditate on chakras. I ask Ganesh for his assistance with obstacles in my life. I set an intent, and think about dharma. It has been thought provoking. I may eventually go to a temple. There are several within 45 minutes drive of my house, two alone being 1/2 hour or less, plus the ISKCON one. But I think for me, a blatantly identified Hindu one (for lack of better description) is the way to go, and eventually I would like to visit. I want to explore more so that I feel authentic when I go. It also might be that I don't go, as going to a formal temple is not necessary to find God, although it is a helpful vehicle as it is a gathering of people worshipping together and therefore its own learning place. I used to attend Christian church every week, and I hate to say this, but it was a yawner and uninspiring where I just felt like this: . And then I've been to a handful of fundamentalist oriented ones where I just felt like the biggest sinner and better watch out and believe now or you're going to hell. Talk of "the enemy" Satan. But it is quite clear that temple is totally different, but it is also something I want to do because I want to, and not because I feel I "have to" in order to be "true".
Thanks again for your feedback!!
Old 15-08-2011, 08:10 PM
aquafire

Thats true, u dont really need to go to a temple, to be with God. he is the omnipresent one... but when u r going to the temple, i would really suggest, u go in the early morning hours , or if thats not possible, in the early afternoon hours.. usually from 11am - 4 or 5 pm , the temple is closed.. so by ealry afternoon i mean, when they just reopen.. i really love that atmosphere at that time

i do agree whole heartedly.. i also hate it when they start saying, if u dont do this this and this, u will go to hell.. (i really feel like sayign, its ok i dont mind going to hell)...

Another thing is, there are soo may scientific reasons behind many of the Hindu culutral activities. and there are many norms which are followed, although no one questions u on whether u have done it or not. To take a simple example,old people used to say, you should sleep with the head towards east and not to west etc. it seems absurd on the first sight.. but it has true inner meanings.. it might be because of the gravitational, or some forces which act like that... its just that as indians we didnt bother to research, and either followed it blindly or ignored it completely. but i would say it is a very good area for research for those interested..i was just mentioning, since you seemed to be interested in researching..

Loka Samasta Sukhino Bhavantu
Old 18-08-2011, 02:02 PM
chakragal

Oh yeah-I love researching. I'm also interested in learning, and I don't like to blindly follow things. At the same time, sometimes it just is what it is, and the spirit of God is just kind of there and I don't need then to over analyze why.
I will find myself for example, irritated thinking about how some Roman Catholics go through the motions (or so it seems to me), must go to Mass or it's a sin, but miss Mass that week, and then go to confession to be absolved so that next time they can partake in communion at church, or have to sit out until they go to confession. But then I realize, if it gives them comfort and they're not parading it in my face, what's it to me? My main issue is when people get snide and judgmental, or give "looking down upon" glances. One guy at my work (fundamentalist Christian), wouldn't even LOOK at my one colleague who had a small Buddha statue on her desk. It was THAT obvious, but it was just fine for him in front of other people to talk to another Christian colleague about beliefs so that it could be overheard. While not doing so to be overheard, he still was making HIS beliefs out there while showing disdain for others. That sort of behavior is an example of what I find pathetic.
Old 19-08-2011, 09:31 AM
krishna_lover

I totally believe in "live and let live". I have been to a iskcon temple just to see what it is like I agree with most things that they say, but I was a bit put off when I read all the rules and regulations. I say just do what you feel comfortable with, as long as you make some spiritual progression in life.

Hare krishna