Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 21-04-2018, 03:20 PM
Guide

Unhappy A name

During meditation, at the nothingness stage, I'd been like that for what felt like a long time and right out of the blue came two spoken words. I stayed in the nothingness stage for a good while after but nothing else happened. The words appeared to be a name and on looking it up I was a little distressed to say the least.

I have no idea where it came from, why it came and what it means. I do know that I don't like what the name represents and whilst I'd never heard of this person before, I'd like to wash away all that I've just read about him. It was very little, I didn't like what I was reading so stopped. I get the idea of what he's about and it's not for me in any way, shape or form.

This name popping up out of the blue wasn't one of my thoughts. The name was Aleister Crowley although for some reason I felt spelling of Aleister was Alaistair. What possibilities are there that can explain this?
Old 21-04-2018, 09:50 PM
Master

I don't know why this name would be spoken to you in meditation but don't be put off by Crowley's reputation. The press may have called him the "wickedest man in the world" but there is a lot more to him. He was highly intelligent, a published poet, a world-class mountaineer and chess player. He was a man of great potential but who lost his way in his pursuit of occult knowledge and the practice of Magick. But in that pursuit he was willing to push himself to the limits (and beyond), ignoring the rigid conventions of society.

His fundamental principle is often quoted as "Do what thou wilt", which many interpret as a license to behave however they want.

The full quote is

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will.

which has a somewhat different flavour.

Who knows why this name was spoken to you, and it is up to you whether you pursue this any further. But many teachers who go against the norms of society are widely criticised (Gurdjieff is another example that comes to mind), and we have to go beyond the public perception to get a fuller picture.

Peace.
Old 27-04-2018, 03:09 PM
Guide

I did a bit of research and feel I could have been given any other name of somebody known to live outside the constraints of what society considers the norm so still not sure why it was that particular name that popped up other than maybe it was to give an extreme example. I wonder if it was meant to bring my attention to 'authenticity'

I do know that my whole being has always refused to conform to society and the well mannered, polite human I was indoctrinated to be caused a lot of inner turmoil and conflict with myself because of it. People society consider to have 'gone off the rails' refuse to conform and just don't hide it. I tried to conform and couldn't so instead of being true to myself, I've kept it for the most part, hidden. Being conditioned and programmed to live a lie causes great anguish over the years, you just don't realise how much constraint there is till you wake up to it.

Thank you iamthat, I would have taken a lot longer to look at this had you not responded with the information you did. I was taking something sinister from it when there was no need
Old 27-04-2018, 03:22 PM
Master
Crowley was a very advanced soul but his story should serve as a warning for those on the spiritual journey. Crowley did not deal with his ego whilst advancing spiritually, hence he became very advanced but was at the beck and call of his ego, which made him very dangerous.
Old 27-04-2018, 05:23 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
Crowley was a very advanced soul but his story should serve as a warning for those on the spiritual journey. Crowley did not deal with his ego whilst advancing spiritually, hence he became very advanced but was at the beck and call of his ego, which made him very dangerous.

I also watched a documentary about him but the way it was put together seemed 'silly and daft' to me. Its one of the oddest things I've ever watched. Perhaps I'm not dealing with my ego, maybe that's why I was given the name and needed to look at the man behind it?