Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Deactivated Account
Sioux culture, holidays and traditions?

Hi there.
I was raised believing I was part of totally different cultures from what actually resonates with me. I have not met any members of my biological family yet but believe I am part Sioux. If there are anyone from that tribe on here that can point me towards any articles about the culture that are legit, that would be greatly appreciated!
"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be."

-Anne Frank
Old 04-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Suspended
Navajo here, sorry.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Experiencer

There are many different clan/groups... They are classified by the language.. But may be quite different..
For example, Brulee sioux or Sante sioux.. Lakota, Dakota, Nakota..etc... In order to make a start do an internet search for say Lakota Nation and see what you can find..Also 'Legends of America is a good site to research about the culture etc ..
The begining of the greatest journey begins with a single step, just take that small step...
Old 06-10-2014, 09:30 AM
Experiencer

Apologies for omitting the Teton Sioux..there are 7 council fires after all..

The Teon sioux were so named after a mountain range where they lived. The two mountains were named by a friench trapper, who named the range 'Grand Tetons' and in no way reflects the build of the Teton women..
Old 09-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Deactivated Account
Thanks for the responses! I was under the impression that Lakota and Dakota were one and the same. I've never even heard of Nakota. Lakota resonates the most so that is where I will start........as does the "Pine Ridge" reservation.

Thank you!
"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be."

-Anne Frank
Old 09-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Experiencer

Pine Ridge has 42,00 first nations people living there.. It is one of the poorest reservations.. they do have a web site..
Lakota is the one I mainly identify with..
If you really want to find your blood line with any accuracy, you can take the DNA testing which will give you a scientific answer... Good luck in your quest..
Old 11-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Raven Poet

Hi LilMariposa85 - this is kinda strange that I come across your post today.

I had recently posted a thread regarding a Lakota/Dakota couple who I see as a Twin Flame Couple. They are here where I live on the prairies in Canada. But it was removed from SF because it was deemed as "spam" because they also operate a business. Too bad, as they might have offered some help.

I work with one of those Elders and she shared a lot of info about Lakota (Sioux) teachings and ceremonies.

I hope you can connect to an Sioux Elder in your area to get these kinds of teachings. That's their role - ensuring the preservation of the ancient teachings and traditions by sharing with the next generations. Keep us posted!
Old 13-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Deactivated Account
Hi Raven Poet.
Would that be the picture I commented on in a different post? I liked that one.
I don't think its as likely that I would come across a Sioux elder where I live. I mean, its possible I might cross paths with one later on, but there are mostly Alaska Native people here.

-Anne Frank
Old 17-10-2014, 01:05 AM
Raven Poet

Hi, LilMariposa85: I can't remember ... but I'm sure it's the same as it was a picture of a couple I admire (as well as a link to a commercial enterprise, which I mistakenly violated forum rules by posting!)

And oops, I just noticed where you live! I guess it's a bit of a stretch from Alaska to the traditional Sioux territories further south!

I really hope you find something. When I was younger I too went seeking identity and spiritual teachings from my Anishinaabe (Ojibwe) Elders and teachers, and I had the good fortune of being referred to many by people who cared enough to help me.

If you'd like, PM me and we can maybe chat some more? Take care and I'm hoping hard you find a link or trail to what you need (even from Alaska!)
Old 12-12-2014, 11:47 PM
iza

I don't know if this will help, but I spent about 6-7 years intermingling with the Native Americans, mostly Lakota and Nakota. Back in the late 80's - it was probably 1987 or 1988, been so long I can't remember now - I spent 2 days/nights on the Rosebud Reservation and that was because my friend at that time felt it was safer than PineRidge, although her husband had relatives living in PineRidge. My friend had friends on the Rosebud and so we stayed with them.

It must have been in the early summer. I remember seeing papa (pemmican/dried meat, pronounced Bapa), hanging on the clothes line to dry in the sun. I remember watching a Sundance ceremony and having the honour of being invited to a womens inipi (sweatlodge) ceremony, which was conducted to help a woman who was hurting from the loss of a relative and she needed spiritual healing. No jewelry allowed inside and while it was common for the women to remove their tops, I was allowed to wrap a towel around me for modesty. The men were not allowed inside, but did stand outside to tend to the firepit. If it got too unbearable for you inside, all you needed to do was say so and the flap would be opened for a brief moment. i remember being shown what a chokecherry looked like and where to find the berries, what kind of plants were traditionally used for medicine to cure ailments like a toothache.

I remember listening to the Wakalapi (Coffee) Hour on KILI Radio on the Reservation, but only understood when they spoke in English. My friend would translate for me if I asked.

The harsh reality of life on the Reservation was shown to me when I saw desperate alcoholics stealing some sort of fuel or something from cars (can't remember what it was called now) because they were so desperate for alcohol. This was pointed out to me by my friend's husband. The hungry children wandering about and coming up to the car asking for something to eat, and while some tribal members have comfortable housing, others live in what can only be described as run-down shacks.

I also took a DNA test last year and was amazed to find out that I have Chukchi in my bloodline. Chukchi are native Greenland Inuit. I also have Yakut, Mongolian, and a trace of Irish in my bloodline. Very fascinating and if you are able to afford it, I strongly recommend taking a DNA test.