Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 26-07-2014, 07:40 AM
saxonaxe

Good day

To those who follow the Northern Tradition ( I don't) happy Sleipnir Day
Old 26-07-2014, 07:50 AM
Master
Me neither, but have a great day :))
Old 27-07-2014, 07:35 AM
Ascender
I have never heard of this day, and I've been a follower of the Norse Gods for 5 years now. Is it known by any other name?
Old 27-07-2014, 08:37 AM
saxonaxe

Hello Lilyth, I too was surprised to find a reference to Sleipnir Day, but wasn't sure and have no real knowledge of such a day as I follow the Saxon Heathen way. It's in an old diary for 1977 that I was given recently. There are many days marked, for instance 31st July is shown as Lammas Eve dedicated to Loki and Sigyn.
Old 27-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Suspended

Hi Folks..

As Im truly fascinated by all forms of Mythology (believe fully that at one time in our history,such things were very real,based in facts),I can tell you th following about Sleipnir Day..

Its Asgardian,obviously,Norse gods and deities..Around Asgard once stood a massive wal to protect the land fromthe giants..However,at some point part of this wall is destroyed in a war - and for some reason,these "gods" cant rebuild it until eventually a "wandering stonemason" turns up and offers to help..

He demands the goddess Freya be his wife,and as payment he wants dominion over the sun and the moon..Loki devies a plan to trick the mason so they get their wall fixed for free,and they agree to pay the demand only if the wall s finished withn 6 months..

Now the mason agrees,says yes but wants to use his own horse for the work,a magnificent stallion..He begins to work and soon is almost finished and it seems he will complete in time after all..Odin tells Loki if they end up paying the demands,then he will kill Loki for his error - so Loki,ever devious - takes the form of a mare,entices the stallion away and keeps it from its work..This enrages Sleipnir the "mason" who takes his true form becoming a rock giant and attacks the gods..Your man Thor does the business with his hammer - they all live happily ever after..

Strangely - I have to ask - how come "all powerful gods" cant even do a bit of brickwork without help.?..Go figure......
Old 27-07-2014, 03:32 PM
saxonaxe

.." This enrages Sleipnir the "mason" "...

I'll leave that one to those who know about Asatru..I thought he was the All- Father's 8 legged horse....
Old 27-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Suspended

Hi Folks..

Saxonaxe; I do apologise - my mistake..Got a bit ahead of myself there as its been ages since I heard this - came across it playing Dungeons and Dragons of all things,years and years ago..lol...

The mason,was actually called "Blast" - and you are correct - the union between Loki in his horse form,and the giants stallion produces an 8 legged magical horse named Sleipnir,which Loki then gives to Odin to appease him...

Id still like to know though - how come they cant do their own simple brickwork if they are gods....??...
Old 28-07-2014, 06:12 AM
Naddread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC-UK

Strangely - I have to ask - how come "all powerful gods" cant even do a bit of brickwork without help.?..Go figure......

Id still like to know though - how come they cant do their own simple brickwork if they are gods....??...

Where is your "all powerful gods" quote from?

Because the Northern Gods are not all powerful. It's a Christian concept that assumes that a god must be all powerful (omnipotent). The Northern Gods live and die and are limited just like everything else within Yggdrasil (the Worlds Tree).

Doing something yourself is not the only way to get a thing done. The wall was built by those more skilled in that area.

The Northern Path understands the interconnectedness of the Tree and the importance of each things diversity and place within.

~Naddread~
They didn't build the wall themselves because the
Old 29-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Ascender
As I said, I have followed the Northern Path for 5 years. No one has mentioned this day to me. It's not mentioned in the poetic or prose eddas, nor any books on the subject. A google search turns up nothing.... and I do know the story, Pete. I follow Ásatrú, so I've read all the stories. Nothing mentions a Sleipnir Day.
Old 29-07-2014, 11:12 PM
Suspended

Hi Folks..

Naddread; Well - by the definition surely - a god MUST be "all powerful" or else the are not atcually a GOD at all..Do you see - you describe these dieties then,they have a mortal lifespan - live and die - not an eternal formless being,but tied intimately TO their form - hence,to my understanding,they are actually NOT gods - but DEMIGODS - having a source and a CREATOR that is responsible for their existance..Indeed,as you mention that particular religion - twisted half truth though that it is - still it does attempt to get to the core of the matter,because YES indeed,there is only ONE "god" - one SOURCE - and from this true god then,came all the various forms and creatures - demigods included..Indeed,I point out elsewhere many times,that THAT particular god of that religion mentioned,is likewise NOT the SOURCE,but yet another creature,a demigod..

And so I place it in the quotes like that because to me,they are not,can never be,ALL powerful,just as you say they live and DIE - hence they should NOT be called gods - or indeed,even worshiped as such,to my mnd..If they are not the SOURCE of creation itself,then they cannot BE omnipotant,and that simply is not a god,but alesser being similar to You or I..