Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 25-04-2018, 12:52 AM
Newbie ;)

Spiritual gifts

Hello fellow Christians,

I’m interested in hearing Biblically based perspective on the appropriate use of spiritual gifts such as the gift of discernment, and of prophesy? Specifically, as a Christian, how might one best use these gifts to help others in a way that wouldn’t be viewed as dabbling in the occultic, or being “psychic”. I have a calling, but feel as though there are many a Christian in judgement of using spiritual gifts to help others.

Btw..I hale from the mediumship forum.
Old 25-04-2018, 01:40 PM
Master

Chapters 12 to 14 of 1 Corinthians cover this subject in detail.
Old 25-04-2018, 04:43 PM
Newbie ;)

Yes, I am familiar with those scriptures. Which acknowledges the God given spiritual gifts. Many so called “psychics” are Christians who are simply using their spiritual gifts. So why is the notion so often shunned by the church, or likewise other Christians?
Old 25-04-2018, 09:17 PM
Administrator
I Have friends who are Christians my brother is a lay preacher.i have friends who are from other faiths. I am a medium I was born with my gifts. yet I am seen as being evil why because they don't understand what my gifts are and how I use them.
I am a spiritualist I follow my own path.to me religion is about control.

Namaste
Old 25-04-2018, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator
I am a Christian myself. But many of the man-made doctrines and dogmas don't sit well with me. I have found them crippling and inhibiting. I do not feel they allow natural expansion or learning.
While I would definitely advise sharp discrimination when dealing with other dimensions, tools we use to reach those conditions, and in dealing with things we may encounter in other dimensions or in our own psyches, I feel we are also given "gifts" for a reason and those reasons are good ones. Also, I feel the expansion of our conscious awareness is a natural and wholesome thing, so long as we are observant, discriminating, careful, disciplined, and keep true to core values and ethics.
Asking directly for guidance, through prayer is always a wise thing to do -oh and being able to hear the true answer.
Old 26-04-2018, 03:03 AM
Seeker

If you're interested in exploring this from an intellectual perspective, you might check out "Mystical Tradition: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam." It's one of those Teaching Company/Great Courses Plus things, and it's a great introduction as well as a good resource for further reading. I got it through my local public library. At any rate, if you haven't already, and if it's relevant to your interests, you might want to do some research on "Christian mysticism." Read some of the history, as well as what modern scholars think.
Old 26-04-2018, 03:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelight
Yes, I am familiar with those scriptures. Which acknowledges the God given spiritual gifts. Many so called “psychics” are Christians who are simply using their spiritual gifts. So why is the notion so often shunned by the church, or likewise other Christians?

Ignorance and fear would be a reason why it's shunned. There are many mainstream Christians who focuses mainly on the fundamental moral and social aspect of the Church and seem to neglect the more esoteric and mystical aspects. Some Christians perhaps because they do not have direct experience with Spiritual gifts may see the gifts as something of a fantasy or something that only belongs in the distant past Biblical era.

The word "psychic" is a loaded term because some Christians instinctively associate that with the occult or the devil misleading people into hell. However, if we remove the word itself, and if nobody identifies with that word, people with God-given Spiritual gifts still exists no matter how we choose to label them.

In ancient times, people with Spiritual gifts in the Church are often described as saints, healers, and prophets. If you have good intentions with your gifts and you use them for God's purpose, don't let anyone dishearten your resolve. There are Christian "mystics" out there just as there are mystics of every faith and religion blessed with gifts. The most important thing is using them for Divine purpose. And if a Christian doubts your honor and of whom you serve, then you can simply tell them to test your Spirit to declare your allegiance to Christ.

If they are of God, then they will certainly understand that you are of God after the testing of Spirit. If they still shun you after your declaration then it is likely that they themselves are a hypocrite in disguise and/or being influenced by negative lower spirits. You should also test their Spirit in return if that is the case, but most likely your God-given Discernment will already reveal all that is necessary. :)

♬ ♫ ♪ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnJUS30olE ♪ ♫ ♬
Old 26-04-2018, 02:27 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelight
Not everyone who professes to be a Christian really is one and there are other spirits beside God who can give gifts to their followers. You need to compare what a person teaches with what the Bible teaches to find out if he is truly from God. Satan often appears as an angel of light and those who are deceived by him often do good for others.
Old 26-04-2018, 05:20 PM
Newbie ;)

Excellent thoughts here! Thanks for your input everyone. Most of this is very in line with my thinking on the topic as well. So this is a little confirmation for me.

I want to semi quote scripture that has always stuck with me, but I don’t remember the verses. You all will know it: “trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him (God) and he will make your paths straight.”

Several years ago, I renounced my Christianity in favor of New Age Spiritualism, and Wicca. I began reading Tarot to people I knew, for practice. My father, a former Southern Baptistist preacher who studied Apologetics at Bob Jones University passively accepted a tarot reading from me when I talked him in to doing one. He sat, emotionless and reactionless to hear my predictions. When I was finished, his one and only response was the scripture quoted above. Well, the entire tarot reading later proved to be accurate, but needless to say all these years later I can confidently say I am a Christian. I accept that my gifts are God given, and I do not believe that occult tools need to be used or should be used to reach the higher source. The gift of discernment is in and of itself the testing of spirits, and if we Christians trust the one true God who has gifted us then we are living a life of purpose.
Old 26-04-2018, 11:17 PM
Master
im not relegerss i sea thngss no els c an iv bean goin 2 a spirtalsttt churhh i hac lst 4 wks i feal mor conecreyyt 2 therf i do
i sean ths gohosttsss ghoastt clearss day in moms nursinngg hom i no wot i saw sum of staff sean 1 i saw coz i askt abot it thy toldd me ther is moree 2 sea
my relgenn ther is no rules
im a spirtalstt humsett
i can sing if i wont 2 god hlp us if i did
hav alcloeee
can dansess on 2 lft feett
hav sec befre margee if u needed 2 but im watin for rht man bt i worry im not gud enifff or he can finss sum 1 99 tims betr thn me
i can hav foods its banedd frm sertenn relegerss
evn chssess or sweets
wear u only alpd 2 hav riseee

im me o 1 elsess

i dream dreams all dreams
🌟🌟🌙🌙☔☔🌆🌆🌁😈😎😒💋💑💑💑💌🍨🍩🍔🌟🌟🌟✴🍩🍔