Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Hypnosis

Old 02-08-2014, 05:18 PM
AnnaP

am i suggestive enough for hypnosis?

how can i tell if i am suggestive enough to be hyptnotised?
Old 14-08-2014, 04:02 AM
Master

Play one of the ones off you tube , or buy one at a new age shop , or down load one of a web site . Most work better with head phones .
Old 17-09-2014, 08:31 PM
DrCannonfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaP
how can i tell if i am suggestive enough to be hyptnotised?

Hi Anna,

The best way to gauge your own responsiveness (short of visiting a hypnotherapist) is to experiment with self-hypnosis. There are plenty of fantastic resources available to learn self-hypnosis (a surprisingly good one is Derren Brown's book 'Tricks of the Mind' though bear in mind that he takes a materialist view of what he does and is a performer first and foremost. The section on hypnosis, though excellent, only makes up about a fifth of the book). The NLP guys have a more wide-ranging (and probably more complete) vision of what hypnosis can be, and the works of Milton Erikson (who helped inspire Bandler and Grinder to start NLP) are well worth a look.

It's also worth saying that everyone is suggestible to hypnosis. Some people have more conventional triggers than others, but the ability to be hypnotised is (in my opinion) a facet of the human mind -- you may not have the same basic framework as most people, but you are hypnotisable. My wife is very resistant to most hypnosis, but when she suffered social anxiety, I was able to put her under and help her through it relatively easily.
Old 17-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Knower
I would agree that everyone can be hypnotised if they agree to it. You don't have to be 'suggestible' and for certain you have already experienced the hypnotised state thousands of times in the course of everyday living - most particularly when falling asleep and waking up. Racing car drivers usually enter the state as it can be associated with heightened performance when everything else is excluded.

The illusion of needing to be suggestible comes from stage hypnosis where the hypnotist uses various methods to choose people from the audience who wish to basically make fools of themselves! The state of hypnosis is quite natural and beneficial and, generally speaking under normal circumstances, nobody can be forced to do something against their nature. I used to be a professional clinical hypnotist...

I should also point out that you are fully aware and remember everything unless you are instructed not to!
Old 17-09-2014, 09:46 PM
DrCannonfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thDimension
I would agree that everyone can be hypnotised if they agree to it. You don't have to be 'suggestible' and for certain you have already experienced the hypnotised state thousands of times in the course of everyday living - most particularly when falling asleep and waking up. Racing car drivers usually enter the state as it can be associated with heightened performance when everything else is excluded.

The illusion of needing to be suggestible comes from stage hypnosis where the hypnotist uses various methods to choose people from the audience who wish to basically make fools of themselves! The state of hypnosis is quite natural and beneficial and, generally speaking under normal circumstances, nobody can be forced to do something against their nature. I used to be a professional clinical hypnotist...

I should also point out that you are fully aware and remember everything unless you are instructed not to!

This is excellent advice. I would add that where some people seem un-hypnotisable, they actually have a subconcious aversion to the idea of hypnotism -- often because they associate it with Svengali-like stage magic. If the experience is re-framed as 'meditation' or 'guided pathworking' or something similar, that resistance often seems to simply fade away.

Of course, these people wouldn't know they had been 'hypnotised' because they often have a completely fictitious idea of what hypnosis is. But ironically, the aversion TO hypnosis is a form of hypnosis itself!

It's true that a person won't do things they wouldn't normally do -- the whole 'cluck like a chicken every time I say kitchen' thing usually relies on the subject having a flair for performance that stage performers can count on due to the fact that they took part in the first place -- but a skillful manipulator can probably take people out of their usual behaviour by constructing the right motivations in trance state.