Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Old 28-02-2012, 01:19 AM
TeeHee

Why interfaith marriages do not work?

When one's religious beliefs are put aside or buried deep in one's mind, interfaith marriages do not really matter. So they say, marriage is tough and has its obstacles, so the question is why go through the additional burden of dealing with issues of faith and religion when looking for that special someone?

In my younger days the promise to myself was to not be unevenly yoked, so I married a Christian woman who is active in her faith, one that shares a similar worldview. We agree on issues of faith such as premartial sex, abortions, capital punishment, the name of God, ect... We both strive to accomplish the same spiritual goals. So I'm asking those who are of interfaith marriages or in a relationship, share your struggles or share how this makes little difference in your daily lives and what you have in common.

For Christians, what does it mean to not be unevenly yoked? If you were aware of this Scripture before meeting your spouse, how did you interpret or rationalize this Scripture in catering to yourselves in your Christian walk?

Sincerely,
Interfaith curious
Old 28-02-2012, 01:44 AM
Master
When Jesus talked about being the Christ, what he meant was that we are all the Christ, it is the higher Consciousness that runs through all religions, they may have a different name for this thread that runs through all, they may have different scriptures that points to this thread, they may have a diffident organization also, but its all the same, and Jesus knew this, for the words that he used were the same words that many before him used.
Old 28-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Master
My wife is a Christian, I am not. This June we will have been married for 16 years, and together for 21. We disagree about many things, but we both agree that a spiritual path is important in life. I think our divergent faiths have been good for us. We have learned to treat other viewpoints with respect and to look for similarities rather than differences. My version of 'God' is much different than hers but we both agree that His basic nature is Love. I have learned a lot by attempting to understand the Christian faith, and she has likewise learned a lot in exploring my more new age/eastern approach.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:35 PM
NekoTheCat

i believe interfaith marriages can work out, if the partners try and accept the other's system of beliefs and doesnt try to change them :)

im single, and i wouldnt care what religion my gf would have, as long as she is respectful towards mine ;)
Old 18-04-2012, 05:30 AM
Arfie

I have only been married 32 years. I didn't know the interfaith thing was supposed to be a problem. Guess it will catch up with us any ol' time.
Old 19-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Angel quartz

My husband and I have only been married a year. He is agnostic, I am actually Roman Catholic (albeit rather a liberal one). We had a full catholic wedding, our daughter will be baptised as R.C in the next month. We don't seem to have any issues, maybe it will come up in the future
Old 19-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Guide

I've seen way too many interfaith marriages have problems, even end in divorce. I would strongly recommend thinking twice. Some very unhappy people have been the result. it's not impossible, just adds another factor to work out.
Old 19-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Master

Two mature people can overcome this obstacle. With mutual respect.

Unfortunately Christians often think their religion is the only true religion and all else false doctrine. Which can cause conflict. But their intentions are good. They just want to make sure their spouse is "saved".

It takes a mighty big Christian to allow their "non believing" spouse their own spiritual path.

Neither my husband or I have a religion. He was Christian when I met him but a non-practicing one. I was spiritual but not Christian. I allowed him his path and respected his right to believe as he felt comfortable. As the years have passed (17) our spiritual paths have merged. He no longer believes as a Christian and follows a more non-Christian path. But again, I don't try to change his mind about anything. It is his path.
Old 28-02-2014, 04:01 AM
Master

My husband and I have been together for 30 years and are of different faiths and it has never posed a problem. We respect each other's faith and have had some great conversations about our views.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 AM
LadyTerra

Not only did I have the most wonderful (Interfaith) marriage for 20 years--but I am (also) an Interfaith Minister.

We have more in common than we realize--their is room at the table for all of us.