Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Tai Chi & Chi Gong

Old 03-02-2015, 09:32 PM
awakeningnow

tai chi for people with mental disorders

Hello I was wondering if tai chi could have any negative effects for people suffering from mental disorders and whose energy might be wacky. as for me i often have periods of uncontrolled energy spurts and schizoid thinking, paranoia etc. when i do tai chi i feel the chi very good and it really brings me present although i feel it might be on an unrealistic plane of reality. Is tai chi still good to practice with unrealistic thinking and uncontrolled energy levels? I ask because i have read before in this chakra book that those with mental disorders should be careful when they do tai chi, qi gong and yoga etc... anyone experienced and have any advice? please and thank you...
Old 04-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Experiencer

I have worked in a mental health unit a while back, I honestly do not think that doing tai chi will exacerbate your symptons, most people find it calming and uplifting. If you are having mental health issues you need to ask for help from your mental health team, maybe reviewing your meds.. I wish you peace and happiness..
Old 26-02-2015, 07:56 PM
Guide

I think it can have positive effect, since it is about balancing the energy and getting in touch with your true self. Deep inside, we are all healthy and sane, it's the disbalance that makes us act loony.:)
Old 05-03-2015, 02:25 AM
Experiencer
^ I agree with these fellas.

Tai Chi can be great for anybody, and can really help a lot of people who have a variety of mental disorders. I think the one thing you may want to make sure of when you do it is that you don't rush through it. Doing slow movements will help calm and center you, but doing it more quickly can get energy flowing pretty intensely and this might feel uncomfortable for you given your concerns. But in any case, energy flow will result, so you might have to gauge where your tolerance lies.

I work in an acute/short-term inpatient mental health facility, and though I've never heard of tai chi specifically being practiced there, there is a yoga group that occurs 3 times/week and many people with the same symptoms you mentioned have found it beneficial. And in my view, the essential result of allowing your energy to flow more easily – as well as calming the mind – is the same with yoga as it is in tai chi, just with a slightly different process of making that happen; They're both enormously useful (I'm not as familiar with qi gong as I am with yoga/tai chi, so I can't speak to that)

Really, though, just do what you're comfortable with. If you find that you can't get past your concerns with this enough to enjoy tai chi, then maybe try yoga or something else entirely (meditation, energy work, lucid dreaming, etc.). There are lots of paths!
Old 07-03-2015, 08:52 AM
awakeningnow

Thanks for your replies.
i like to do the basic tai chi movements and feel the chi in the present moment. Its just i think i do not feel grounded in reality at all so i feel like a zombie when i look back but it must help somewhat and count for something right.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:43 AM
Master
I have just started to do mini chi gongs and finally feeling grounded for the first time ever, its about connecting to mother earth ,breathing deeply into your lower stomach and letting the earths energies draw up and into you. My husband is studying acupuncture and he has a teacher there that gives a really great version of it. I highly encourage you not to give up AWAKENINGNOW on finding a good teacher or format for QI GONG I have done yoga most of my life and it is and has been very enjoyable. CHI GONG is what you need if you want to feel grounded. Like with all things though daily commitment is required ,but you will notice the benefits and wish to keep doing it ,dont worry so much about Tai Chi at this time but concentrate on CHI GONG. Deepsoul
Old 18-06-2015, 07:55 AM
Experiencer
You might want to read about practices in grounding then. If you were to do something to ground yourself prior to doing Tai Chi (maybe even after as well if you're still feeling off), you might not feel that way any more
Old 18-06-2015, 11:36 AM
Ascender
Tai Chi is a gentler form of excersise that I was doing recovering from psychosis. I didn't like Yoga because I'm not bendy and the teacher was always telling me off for getting my arms and legs wrong.
Old 18-09-2016, 02:03 PM
Merlini

Doing chi gong is all about finding a good shift of chi within ones own body, that is why chi gong and tai chi r slow moving practises, oe ought to always refilter ones flow to see if they align with ones nature in being, so for mental disorder it is necessary to always go by what the movement is inasmuch as to follow ones energy surge so not to break out of character.
but in general it is a good practise for mental disorders and energy spurs, one just needs to recalibrate oneself more often through these issues, so read ur flow and body and do flow
Old 18-09-2016, 02:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlini
Doing chi gong is all about finding a good shift of chi within ones own body, that is why chi gong and tai chi r slow moving practises, oe ought to always refilter ones flow to see if they align with ones nature in being, so for mental disorder it is necessary to always go by what the movement is inasmuch as to follow ones energy surge so not to break out of character.
but in general it is a good practise for mental disorders and energy spurs, one just needs to recalibrate oneself more often through these issues, so read ur flow and body and do flow

What do you mean about read your flow and body and do flow ? Please explain you have lost me