Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 15-11-2016, 08:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Sabbasava-Sutta

The Sabbasava Sutta (Majjhima Nikaya 2[4]) also mentions 16 questions which are seen as "unwise reflection" and lead to attachment to views relating to a*self.*

What am I? Did I exist in the past? Did I not exist in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, did I become what in the past? What shall I be in future? How shall I be in future?Having been what, shall I become what in future? Whence came this person?

The Buddha states that it is unwise to be attached to both views of having and perceiving a self and views about not having a self. Any view which sees the self as "permanent, stable, everlasting, unchanging, remaining the same for ever and ever" is "becoming enmeshed in views, a jungle of views, a wilderness of views; scuffling in views, the agitation (struggle) of views, the fetter of views."
Sounds good to me but to be clear, I'm not saying there is no self, I'm saying there is no self that this I can see. I also am not saying there is a Self. That's why this resonates with me.
Old 15-11-2016, 09:19 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Self
In the recent past I have realized so much about what I call the fabric of life. I can see clearly that we are an expression coming forth from a relative nothingness and returning to that same relative nothingness is a journey that I see as life.

Lately though, I see something else and that is, for this fabric to exist, as I see it, then there cannot be anything about this expression called me that can contain what some call a soul, atman or even a higher self. We simply return to nothingness. Our existence is our being but it ends there.

Furthermore, it follows, to me, that this expression must be hardwired, predisposed to act the way it does and to think the way it does. There is nothing there to act or think. Even the act to ignore ones thoughts, since there is no one to have those thoughts and no one to ignore those thoughts, is basically a hard-wired response from an individual expression which follows its own path back to its source, relative nothingness.

I’m posting this here because what I’m suggesting seems to fall into Buddhism. No self, no souls, etc.

I’d be interested in any comments. Imagine life with no self, no improving, no choice, no afterlife. Who would want that? Are we all avoiding seeing that? Is this what The Buddha saw?

Here's the thing...I hope not! lol

Thanks for listening

I know what you mean about no self. In Chinese is--- forget oneself 忘我. Like a couple telling each other , don't forget me 勿忘我when you're far away--- there's a self. When we forget ourselves is like the ones posting nonsense in the thread but forget that it may affect other viewers especially that can affecting their mind or others...... I dislike cheating and bad doing on others......
Old 15-11-2016, 10:08 PM
Suspended
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher
As I understand it, the Buddha was not making ontological statements. Again, he spoke of the Dharma as a raft, for passing over, not for grasping . Speculation concerning any "state of being" is just that, speculation, and will tend to preclude actually walking the path.

Oh I would say he was making ontological and epistemological statements. As far as grasping or speculation, that was up to the listener. Buddha was simply describing what was.
Old 15-11-2016, 10:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWind
Oh I would say he was making ontological and epistemological statements. As far as grasping or speculation, that was up to the listener. Buddha was simply describing what was.
What did he say with respect to describing what is?
Old 16-11-2016, 12:08 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWind

Maybe it would make a good thread to consider the so called "silence of the Buddha" and the various "unanswered questions".

One thing the Buddha is reported to have said is "I teach this and this alone, suffering ( dukkha ) and the ending of suffering".

Perhaps it is a mistake to bring "western" philosophical catagories to the table? When the intent of the Buddha was to communicate the "unshakeable deliverance of mind" that according to the Pali texts is the goal of the "Holy Life".
Old 16-11-2016, 01:14 AM
Suspended
Just few seconds ago, he was sending a Yin Yang sign and a pot of food to my place or me. Before it reached me, my Cupid son was informing me the items were coming and were taken by me to the thrash. How can a Buddhist do such a wicked thing that try to harm people? He mustn't or never learned a bit of Buddha's teaching or spirit.
Old 16-11-2016, 01:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher
Maybe it would make a good thread to consider the so called "silence of the Buddha" and the various "unanswered questions".

One thing the Buddha is reported to have said is "I teach this and this alone, suffering ( dukkha ) and the ending of suffering".

Perhaps it is a mistake to bring "western" philosophical catagories to the table? When the intent of the Buddha was to communicate the "unshakeable deliverance of mind" that according to the Pali texts is the goal of the "Holy Life".
That resonates as well
Old 16-11-2016, 02:09 AM
Suspended
He sent five more times of an empty big wok, brick shape dark energy, spell and two more I didn't see (dissolved by me when still in a far distance). I think most of them are kitchen stuffs. I saw actually he is a Taoist wearing Taoist yellow clothing/robes and a house shape hat.

And I warning you here, I may sent the stuffs back if you continue to do the evil monkey business to me.
Old 16-11-2016, 02:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Self
In the recent past I have realized so much about what I call the fabric of life. I can see clearly that we are an expression coming forth from a relative nothingness and returning to that same relative nothingness is a journey that I see as life.

Lately though, I see something else and that is, for this fabric to exist, as I see it, then there cannot be anything about this expression called me that can contain what some call a soul, atman or even a higher self. We simply return to nothingness. Our existence is our being but it ends there.

Furthermore, it follows, to me, that this expression must be hardwired, predisposed to act the way it does and to think the way it does. There is nothing there to act or think. Even the act to ignore ones thoughts, since there is no one to have those thoughts and no one to ignore those thoughts, is basically a hard-wired response from an individual expression which follows its own path back to its source, relative nothingness.

I’m posting this here because what I’m suggesting seems to fall into Buddhism. No self, no souls, etc.

I’d be interested in any comments. Imagine life with no self, no improving, no choice, no afterlife. Who would want that? Are we all avoiding seeing that? Is this what The Buddha saw?

Here's the thing...I hope not! lol

Thanks for listening

One night my h was looking up to the night sky and I asked him a question. "what do you think is out there, where do you think we go in death?" He responded. "nothing out there and we go nowhere, this is it". It was plain and simple to him.

It has taken me a long time to catch up to his view. I guess I added a little bit to that, in that when you become aware of yourself as nothing in terms of the creation of this life creation of you and you open to life itself in you to know you without all that, you can create yourself in any shape or form you wish, but ultimately all that becomes is the awareness that I still exist and express myself as my part. This mind body whatever you wish to call it, is very much alive and existing as itself. Everything becomes a temporary changing awareness. So who am I? I exist and live this life more aware of myself and what I am being and what I am not being..yet I am being something here in relation to creation and life itself as a piece of the whole.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 16-11-2016, 05:18 PM
Master
Thank you for sharing NF.
I'm not so sure we can be or create anything we want without being predisposed in regards to what we want. I see our expression from relative nothingness, which by the way is not nothing, very much interrelated and interdependent on everything else, so much so so that it's hard to find a me in there LOL.
I took a lot away from this thread since it started and I am grateful to all who shared. Thank you