Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 16-02-2020, 10:14 PM
Newbie ;)

Is there a part of hinduism which tells you don't have to follow any rules?

Is there any text or scripture in hinduism that says that you don't need to follow any rules or even that you shouldn't? Could one reach enlightenment without following any rules?
Old 17-02-2020, 12:18 AM
Master
Interesting question. There are people on this forum who would give that advice. But as for a mainstream religion like Hinduism it would be quite something.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 17-02-2020, 01:12 AM
Master

I googled and found this: Why Hinduism does not force any rules like other religions?:

Quote:
The basis for this religion is Vedas. Which says belive things which you think true. It never forces you to do something which you don't belive. Beleive only if you have sufficient reasons to believe. Never blindly believe in anything just because somebody says something. But nowadays people made temple and worshping is Hinduism. But it is not. Believe in yourself that is what vedas teaches you. All other relgions teach believe in this God or that God. But vedas teach believe in yourself. You can read about this in Swami Vivekananda's complete works.
I have no direct knowledge about Hinduism.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 17-02-2020, 05:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaci
Is there any text or scripture in hinduism that says that you don't need to follow any rules or even that you shouldn't? Could one reach enlightenment without following any rules?
Namaste.

In Hinduism, the only time we do not need to "follow any rules" is in choosing whatever rules we feel comfortable with following. There is no escape from this.

For you see, even in Non Duality or Tantra "not following any rules" is still following the rule of not following any rules...sweet, isn't it?

Each Sampradaya...each school of philosophy has certain precepts that adherents must adhere to...or else they wouldn't be adherents and without discipline, there would be no disciples either...without Sadhana, there would be no Sadhakas etc

Yes, it is possible to reach Enlightenment without following any rules, but that must apply across the board of your whole existence and experience, including any rules you set for yourself or others in regards to anything..which isn't only limited to Hinduism but includes your conceptions and perceptions of the very nature of reality itself.

Oh look, my searching for a corresponding scripture has led me to the "Hinduism for Dummies" book...

https://www.dummies.com/religion/hin...efs-of-hindus/

Welcome to the forums.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 17-02-2020, 10:22 AM
Newbie ;)

Thank you for your answers.
Which hindu god is most associated with not following strict rules?
Which other religions say you don't need other peoples rules?
Is there a religion which actually encourages you to not follow ANY rules?
Thank you
Old 17-02-2020, 11:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Thank you
As I know nothing about any other religion than Hinduism, I can only really answer your first question.

Lord Shiva is generally know as the rule-breaking, rambunctious God...it is the whole reason why I am endeared to Him so much...

य (क्ष) ज्ञस्वरूपाय जटाधराय,
पिनाकहस्ताय सनातनाय |
दिव्याय देवाय दिगम्बराय,
तस्मै 'य' काराय नमः शिवाय |5||

One question though...why are you so obsessed with having no rules?

Is it so that your ego can be free to do whatever it wants without question?

Because you don't need ANY religion to do whatever it is that you please....however, you won't get enlightenment either, so if you were to choose and "both" was NOT an option, which would you prefer...doing whatever the hell you want to without anybody else ever questioning it or being enlightened?

Yes, I know that people hate rules...it is their ego which hates rules and to get enlightened, the ego must be dropped and we must suffer terribly for spiritual progress... that's if moving out of your comfort zone causes you to suffer.

You are probably better just forgetting about religion or becoming a Satanist.

I hope others can help you more...try the Wicca forum.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 17-02-2020, 06:39 PM
Newbie ;)

Thank you for your answer

I would probably choose none of them, or choose the middle way.

But if you are compassionate to others but still rule-breaking, is that still egoism? If your ego is dropped, will you never be able to hate rules or hate anything again?
Thank you
Old 17-02-2020, 06:46 PM
Master

Quote:
Thank you for your answer

I would probably choose none of them, or choose the middle way.

But if you are compassionate to others but still rule-breaking, is that still egoism? If your ego is dropped, will you never be able to hate rules or hate anything again?
Thank you
Maybe if you gave a specific example, it would be clearer to readers what you're looking for.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 21-02-2020, 06:26 PM
Master

Quote:

I'm surprised that Shivani Devi hasn't mentioned the Aghori.

I'll just quote Wikipedia:

Aghoris are devotees of Shiva manifested as Bhairava and monists who seek moksha from the cycle of reincarnation or saṃsāra. This freedom is a realization of the self's identity with the absolute. Because of this monistic doctrine, the Aghoris maintain that all opposites are ultimately illusory. The purpose of embracing pollution and degradation through various customs is the realization of non-duality (advaita) through transcending social taboos, attaining what is essentially an altered state of consciousness and perceiving the illusory nature of all conventional categories.

Aghoris base their beliefs on two principles common to broader Shaiva beliefs: that Shiva is perfect (having omniscience, omnipresence and omnipotence) and that Shiva is responsible for everything that occurs: all conditions, causes and effects. Consequently, everything that exists must be perfect and to deny the perfection of anything would be to deny the sacredness of all life in its full manifestation, as well as to deny the Supreme Being.

Aghoris believe that every person's soul is Shiva but is covered by aṣṭamahāpāśa "eight great nooses or bonds", including sensual pleasure, anger, greed, obsession, fear and hatred. The practices of the Aghoris are centered around the removal of these bonds. Sādhanā in cremation grounds is used in an attempt to destroy fear; sexual practices with certain riders and controls attempt to release one from sexual desire; being naked is used in an attempt to destroy shame. On release from all the eight bonds the soul becomes sadāśiva and obtains moksha.

But then again, perhaps breaking the rules becomes just another rule.

Peace
Old 21-02-2020, 06:38 PM
Master

Quote:
Thank you

There is Thelema, the spiritual philosophy founded by the much misunderstood Aleister Crowley in the early 1900s.

Thelema is founded on the idea that the 20th century marked the beginning of the Aeon of Horus, in which a new ethical code would be followed: "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law". This means that adherents of Thelema should seek out and follow their true path, i.e. their True Will.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law" is often interpreted to mean people can do whatever they want, no matter how depraved. Few people consider the full quote:

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will. There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt. Every man and every woman is a star.

Peace