Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 04-03-2017, 02:30 PM
Master

Still not on any blood pressure medications. I've called my doctor and he is continuing to research and I have an appointment with him the end of this month. But no progress.

Another culprit that I wasn't paying attention to is salt. All iodized salt has corn in it. So in the list of ingredients on a label, if it says salt, it's iodized and bad, if it says sea salt it is probably safe to consume.

On the plus side, I am staying well more often. I am just about done with the learning curve. Well, I will never be completely done. I try new foods on occasion and with that I always take a chance. But when I do find another safe food, I have broadened my variety of foods I can safely eat.

An example is hot dogs. I love them and haven't found a delicious hot dog that I can safely eat. I picked (for the umpteenth time) another new variety at Whole Foods called Charcut Nuvo uncured wieners. They are totally safe and very good tasting. I was previously eating Sheldon's chicken or turkey franks. They are good but, they're poultry for crying out loud. A good beef or pork hot dog will top a chicken hot dog any day.

The first time I tried this new brand I ate it in a chili dog with the works. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.
Old 16-03-2017, 07:49 AM
Master
Heya

On the salt subject, I flavour everything savoury with onion, it does away with the need to use salt and is also a natural anti-histamine

Much more flavoursome and varied because of the different ways you can cook them

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx
Old 16-03-2017, 02:18 PM
Master

What an interesting idea Saggi. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thank you.
Old 24-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Master

I finally got around to trying Pomonas Pectin to make some raspberry jam. It is crazy easy to make, taking just a few minutes to make a batch. You do have to hot water bath can it since the amount of sugar is much less than conventional jams and jellies. To explain, normal jams and jellies have so much sugar in them the sugar acts as a preserving agent. Normal jams and jellies take 3-4 cups of sugar to make. The jam I just made using Pomonas Pectin only takes 1 1/2 cups of sugar.

Here's what I wrote on my Amazon review:

I am very happy to say this product is corn and gluten free.

Now on to the jam itself. I was more than surprised to find making this jam was easy and took less than half the time of making conventional jam using the pectin on the supermarket shelf!

I expected to be compromising some of the taste of regular jam but to my amazement it was delicious, with the fruit shining through giving me a burst of flavor in my mouth. I expected using less sugar to leave the jam wanting but, Surprise!, there was just enough sugar to give it a sweet taste without overpowering the taste of the fruit, in my case, raspberries!

I also expected the consistency to be less than what I am used but the texture was perfectly jelled and held together like it should, to be called a "jam".
Old 24-06-2017, 06:11 PM
Master

Another new recipe I found on the internet the other day. Nacho cheese powder.

Start out with regular cheese powder. You can purchase this just about anywhere on the internet. For me I have found I can eat it with no problem like I have with regular block cheese found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.

3/4 c cheese powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp paprika
3/4 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp sea salt (not iodized-it contains corn!)
1 1/2 tsp sugar

Mix and sprinkle on whatever your imagination can discover. It's got quite a zing to it!
Old 27-06-2017, 07:16 PM
Master

Before I developed my corn intolerance, once a year I used to get my prescription from my doctor for medical conditions and have my pharmacy fill the whole year's worth at the same time. As long as it isn't a narcotic they will do that. It saved me about $400 to $500 a year. I didn't need my doctor's permission, I just went directly to the (regular) pharmacy and asked them to fill all refills right then and there.

Since my allergy to corn kicked in and having found a compounding pharmacy, I was astounded how much the compounded prescription medications cost. One cost $40 a month, the other $45. So a total of $85 a month to fill the same prescriptions. I did this two months. And my insurance does not pay for compounded prescriptions. So after 2 months I was had forked out $170 out of my own pocket.

On the 3rd month when I called to have said prescriptions filled I asked the gal if I could save by having all refills (10 months remaining on prescription) filled. She said I might save a little bit. I calculated a bill of over $800 and decided to do it. Just for the hassle of having to call in each month. I had a few phone calls from them because my compounding pharmacy ran out of a certain base medication and needed to reorder which took extra time, but I got my 10 month supply yesterday. And guess what. I saved a ton of money.

Having those prescriptions filled each month for 10 months, at the end of the year I would have forked out an additional $950.00. Plus the two months I had already paid coming to a grand total of $1,120.00 for the year.

On the 10 month supply of both medications I just got yesterday, I paid a total of $429.99 for both, just so you understand that. A huge savings.

If you do this, just make sure you order several weeks in advance before you actually need the medications. That's in case they do run out and need extra time to get a new shipment of the base medication in.
Old 17-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Master

Saw an ad in the June, 2017 issue of Rachael Ray Every Day Magazine for Miracle Whip Original Recipe. It's a full page ad on page 33. They say "Miracle Whip you grew up with is back with our original gold standard recipe that brings that one of a kind taste to all your salad and sandwiches."

For a bit of background information anyone with a corn intollerance or allergy we can't consume Miracle Whip because it contains High Fructose Corn Syrup and Corn Starch.

So this new advertisement about Original Recipe Miracle Whip was exciting news for me.

So much for false advertising.

The jar advertised has the Original Miracle Whip logo. Two words in script and has a gold seal on the left side of it that says Gold Standard recipe. Here are the ingredients on this new "Original" recipe: Water, soybean oil, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP (my caps), vinegar, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH (my caps), eggs, salt, natural flavor, mustard flour, potassium sorbate as a preservative, paprika, spice, dried garlic.

They really make you think you are getting the old recipe. Full ad says Old is New. With Miracle Whip's Original Recipe. The Miracle Whip you grew up with is back with our original gold standard recipe that brings that one of a kind taste to all your salads and sandwiches.

i know most people would take the manufacturer's word for promises made (heck, I used to!) but I will be spreading the word, loud and clear that the Miracle Whip they are now making is still poo-poo. Sorry trying to keep it clean.

I sent them a nasty email telling them what I think of their advertising and "Original" recipe (not!)
Old 17-07-2017, 09:04 PM
Master
My granny made all her salads (potato, macaroni, cole slaw etc.) with Miracle Whip and it tasted great - mayo is just greasy tasting in salads like that. But, after decades of learning about the super-bad super-evil ingredients that corporations use that we never suspected, I'm not surprised that they consider the HFCS etc. as from the original recipe because it probably was in the original corporation's recipes. I think that's just how long this crup (I HAVE to wonder WHY this 'c' word is so bad, heh) has been put in manufactured 'edibles' (ha!)

I only wonder how do you turn a good-tasting product like Miracle Whip into something that will leave out that stuff. Does anybody really know? I'd like to know.

Old 18-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Master

Actually, Silver, I use another brand that does not use Corn syrup or cornstarch. It's called Spin Blend Salad Dressing. There is also another brand some prefer titled JFG Salad Dressing. Neither has harmful high fructose corn syrup or cornstarch (like MW). I've adjusted to the Spin Blend just fine and now prefer it. I find the Spin Blend at our local City Market/Kroger store. JFG has to be ordered (I found it on Amazon) online. At least in my area. I do live in a smallish community with only 3 grocery stores.

I posted this information about the "Old Recipe" MW for those who think they are getting a healthier Miracle Whip! NOT!

I use mayonnaise as well and prefer it in some dishes and I need it to make my Ranch Dressing for salads and things like chicken finger dip. Most brands I cannot tolerate including Hellman's and Best Foods. But the Heinz brand seems to be okay.

Last edited by linen53 : 18-07-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 18-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Master
Oh, sorry to interrupt the flow - I vaguely recall a conversation here (?) about MW etc. Is Spin Blend hard to find in stores? (It's hard not to fondly reminisce about grandma's salads in this summer weather - one too many pot luck picnics with all those salads in attendance - yum!)