Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 30-10-2017, 07:59 AM
Experiencer

a great new book

Hey guys.

There's a really good new book called Beyond Mindfulness, by Stephan Bodian.

He shows a way to be aware that's easier and more effective than conventional approaches to mindfulness.

I'm very happy with the new approach I learned from this book. It really makes awareness simple and easy.

Bodian was a Zen monk, and his wisdom comes from many years of training and personal experience.

I highly recommend it!
Old 30-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Master
' He shows a way to be aware that's easier and more effective than conventional approaches to mindfulness '

I haven't read his book but if the above quote comes directly from himself I would be wary because he cannot compare with everyone else's experiences.. Effectiveness is personal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy soul
Hey guys.

He shows a way to be aware that's easier and more effective than conventional approaches to mindfulness.

I'm very happy with the new approach I learned from this book. It really makes awareness simple and easy.

Bodian was a Zen monk, and his wisdom comes from many years of training and personal experience.

I highly recommend it!
Old 31-10-2017, 03:37 AM
Experiencer

Good point, Sky.

I guess what's right for some people isn't right for everyone.

Almost definitely Bodian's approach isn't right for everyone.

It would be naive to think that there's one way that's best for all people.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 31-10-2017, 05:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Good point, Sky.

I guess what's right for some people isn't right for everyone.

Almost definitely Bodian's approach isn't right for everyone.

It would be naive to think that there's one way that's best for all people.

Thanks for the clarification.

There are so many books out there it's impossible to say which will help who

Take what resonates with you and leave behind what doesn't, for others

Don't forget there are lots of Buddhist books which are free of charge in PDF form, look around before you buy them .
Old 31-10-2017, 08:31 AM
Experiencer

I agree sometimes when I'm trying to figure things out, I'll say something to myself like, 'Well, there are hundreds of thousands of spiritual and self-help books out there. Pick one and enjoy!'

I know we can gain understanding WITHOUT reading, but admittedly most of my beliefs and insights were spawned from books.

It seems like there are so many ideas and perspectives, it can be very challenging to make sense of it all and come up with your own coherent perspective.

Some teachers and traditions emphasize simplicity, but sometimes the dharma seems anything BUT simple.
Old 31-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Master
Quote:
I agree sometimes when I'm trying to figure things out, I'll say something to myself like, 'Well, there are hundreds of thousands of spiritual and self-help books out there. Pick one and enjoy!'

I know we can gain understanding WITHOUT reading, but admittedly most of my beliefs and insights were spawned from books.

It seems like there are so many ideas and perspectives, it can be very challenging to make sense of it all and come up with your own coherent perspective.

Some teachers and traditions emphasize simplicity, but sometimes the dharma seems anything BUT simple.

What do you mean by the dharma HS ?
Old 31-10-2017, 03:50 PM
Guide

So I have to buy the book to know what it is about in greater detail?
No presentation of his principles and methods?

Like this page
https://www.stephanbodian.org/beyond-mindfulness/
Lots of words and nothing substance.

It must be a great secret, now revealed, to those who buy the book LOL
Old 31-10-2017, 05:10 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Hey guys.

I highly recommend it!

This sounds like an advertisement.

No matter how "simple" the words, there are no shortcuts in Zen Buddhism, but hey whatever appeals to the masses.
Old 31-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Experiencer

Sky, by dharma I mean the truth, the path, 'the teaching'. I probably should have used another word because I wasn't referring only to the ideas taught in Buddhism, but spiritual teaching in general.

Markings, basically, the idea is that we're ALREADY aware, and when we deeply recognize that, mindfulness happens naturally and effortlessly. Of course, he goes into great detail, being a full length book. But that's the main idea in a nutshell.

BT, I was just trying to emphasize how highly I recommend the book. And I basically agree that there are no shortcuts. On the other hand, certain practices are more effective than others, although as sky noted, not every practice is right for everyone.
Old 31-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
So I have to buy the book to know what it is about in greater detail?
No presentation of his principles and methods?

Like this page
https://www.stephanbodian.org/beyond-mindfulness/
Lots of words and nothing substance.

It must be a great secret, now revealed, to those who buy the book LOL

I've downloaded a free sample from Amazon, I will read it later and see what it contains... who knows it might be a good book.