Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Lounge

Old 06-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Mountain-Goat

HULK

Have you noticed HULK in SF?

Here's why I have been channeling him of late.
And relax, my enthusiasm for HULK will dissipate soon enough.

I've just finished my 3rd viewing of the first 4 seasons of The Big Bang Theory.

In season 3, Leonard and Howard now have GFs, and poor ol' Raj, who still can't talk to girls, does not.
So now that the gang don't hang out together as much, Raj is lonely and wants Sheldon to hang out with him to be his wing man while picking up girls.
Sheldon or course, is not in the least bit interested in girls, so Raj has to offer some valuable item for Sheldon's services.

Raj offers Sheldon his HULK fists( signed by Stan Lee).
Sheldon has envied them ever since Raj got them and upon putting on the HULK fists, transforms and speaks like HULK.
Flexing his muscles and saying things like...
"HULK WILL GO TO BAR TO PICK UP GIRLS !"
Raj says, "but you can't wear the fists when we go out."
Sheldon flexes and says ,"HULK SAD !"

~sighs ~ oh so funny.

Raj can only talk to girls if he's taken alcohol...even medicine that is alcohol laced.
They pick up two girls and bring them home.

The camera is behind one girl who is sitting facing Sheldon.
They are sitting on the lounge chatting.
Sheldon is facing the camera.
He's listening intently to the girl and he leans his head onto his fist to denote this intense interest.
He's wearing his HULK fists.

So he's leaning his head into his giant green HULK fist, with a serious look on his facing saying in normal Sheldon voice,
"This is most interesting (girl's name)"...adding more intellectual talk.
With a giant green HULK fist against his leaned head.
Bwahahahaha.

Then the girl looks at Raj and her friend, who are kissing on the other chair.
The girl wishes she was kissing with Sheldon.
Sheldon looks at the clock in the kitchen, says it times to go to bed.
The girl likes this idea.
Sheldon stands, flexes his muscles and says ,"GOODNiGHT PUNY HUMAN !", turns and goes off to bed, leaving her on the lounge alone and perplexed.

Bwahahahaha...such a funny show.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Master
Big smiles, I'd noticed HULK about and had a chuckle, ..... oh and thought of Morbo from Futurama, lol, (hmmm perhaps some inspiration there ??)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUgAL...eature=related

The Big Bang Theory is My all-time fave sit-com, loving the blend of comedy and science. Great writing and very talented to perform that in front of a live audience I reckon, (nothing like canned laughter to ruin a sitcom ).

Great episode cited as well, loved it !!, it conjures another ep, where the guys are responsible for Sheldon missing a book signing at the local comic book store, so have to drive him to Stan Lee's house. Stan answers the door and says sarcastically "well why don't You just come in and make Yourself at home !!" to which of course Sheldon takes him literally and poor old Stan eventually has to get a restraining order, hehe.
Having found no self that is not other, The seeker must find that there is no other that is not self, So that in the absence of both other and self, There may be known the perfect peace, Of the presence of absolute absence.

If only I could throw away the urge to trace my patterns in your heart, I could really see you.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Mountain-Goat

~laughs~ I suspect we could cite nearly every episode as being great.

Out of all 4 seasons, i only can cite a few moments here and there that, for me, are flat.
The overwhelming majority is very well written and acted, as you have keenly observed.

I quite enjoy the DVD docos that give more insight into what it takes for all to create such a wonderful experience.

~laughs~ The comic book signing ep is a fav too.

To me, the simplicity of the humor is exaggerated personalities and exploiting that into situations.

Sheldon, though extremely intelligent, has the social understanding less than a 4 year old, to the point of him having Aspergers.
Which sets up infinite possibilites for a laugh.
I very much enjoy his intellectual versions of insults, his literalness and his lack of understanding of social protocols ( as he calls them)
The constant discussion of taboo subjects in any social situation.
His lack of response when others insult him.

Leaonard is the straight guy of all the guys, the one who suffers the most.

Howard is over the top sexually frustrated, and i love his deep voice and when he yells as his mother, and that he thinks he's god gift to women but also knows what a load of bull that is.
His flamboyant clothing

Raj is the silent but deadly one. Doesn't say much but he has some of the funniest lines.
Though he and Howard are getting more air time each season.

And the girls, Penny, Bernadette and the amazingly Sheldon like Amy Farrah Fowler are so brilliant in their specific roles.

I like the collision of emotion meets intellect.
The specific reality of nerds and geeks as it clashes with the rest of reality.
I won't go on as there are so many issue regarding human nature addressed in this very silly show.

~flexes muscles~
HULK LIKE !
Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Carpark
~laughs~ I suspect we could cite nearly every episode as being great.

Out of all 4 seasons, i only can cite a few moments here and there that, for me, are flat.
The overwhelming majority is very well written and acted, as you have keenly observed.

I quite enjoy the DVD docos that give more insight into what it takes for all to create such a wonderful experience.

~laughs~ The comic book signing ep is a fav too.

To me, the simplicity of the humor is exaggerated personalities and exploiting that into situations.

Sheldon, though extremely intelligent, has the social understanding less than a 4 year old, to the point of him having Aspergers.
Which sets up infinite possibilites for a laugh.
I very much enjoy his intellectual versions of insults, his literalness and his lack of understanding of social protocols ( as he calls them)
The constant discussion of taboo subjects in any social situation.
His lack of response when others insult him.

Hehe, I agree. I can't even remember a disappointing episode. I've seen a couple of interviews with the guys, it's amazing to learn that Jim Parsons (Sheldon) isn't remotely science orientated and has no familiarity with most of the 'sciencey' stuff in the scripts. Apparently, at the start they weren't sure how far to push his 'socio-personality quirks', having concerns how it would be received. It's been developed well.

I downloaded the first couple of eps of the fifth season but the quality wasn't 100 percent so I'm waiting for it on normal TV now. Looks good though.

Leaonard is the straight guy of all the guys, the one who suffers the most.

Hey, he's going up in the world, I recently saw him alongside Justin Timberlake in that movie 'InTime'. Great movie incidentally.

Howard is over the top sexually frustrated, and i love his deep voice and when he yells as his mother, and that he thinks he's god gift to women but also knows what a load of bull that is.
His flamboyant clothing

So funny !! I'm picturing him in those kinda, bright royal blue drainpipe trousers !!

I remember an even more outrageous 'get up' he wore, when they were going out pulling one night, but I can't seem to picture it...... Oh wait, it's coming back ........ there was an eye patch involved if I remember rightly, lol.

Raj is the silent but deadly one. Doesn't say much but he has some of the funniest lines.
Though he and Howard are getting more air time each season.

And the girls, Penny, Bernadette and the amazingly Sheldon like Amy Farrah Fowler are so brilliant in their specific roles.

Indeedy. I fess up, I've got a bit of a crush on Bernadette, I do go for that look for some reason. I dunno, is that voice for real ??

I like the collision of emotion meets intellect.
The specific reality of nerds and geeks as it clashes with the rest of reality.
I won't go on as there are so many issue regarding human nature addressed in this very silly show.

~flexes muscles~
HULK LIKE !

I bet 'The Flash' likes too, hehehe.

Great critique btw AC.
Having found no self that is not other, The seeker must find that there is no other that is not self, So that in the absence of both other and self, There may be known the perfect peace, Of the presence of absolute absence.

If only I could throw away the urge to trace my patterns in your heart, I could really see you.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus72
Hehe, I agree. I can't even remember a disappointing episode. I've seen a couple of interviews with the guys, it's amazing to learn that Jim Parsons (Sheldon) isn't remotely science orientated and has no familiarity with most of the 'sciencey' stuff in the scripts. Apparently, at the start they weren't sure how far to push his 'socio-personality quirks', having concerns how it would be received. It's been developed well.
I agree (Sheldon's quirks).
And i like the continuity\consistency of everyone's traits, in that they build jokes around them, but they make sure it's logical and makes sense and there's no contradictions in later eps.
Instead of throwing it all away for the sake of one good joke.
The creators and actors remain true to the characters.
As Chuck Lore and Bill Prady(creators) mentioned in one interview...paraphrasing, "we love these characters and we pour our heart and soul into them"

Sheldon's evolution.
Like in season 1, he only knocks once, but in later seasons he always knocks three times.
They even build jokes around this one quirk.

Quote:
I downloaded the first couple of eps of the fifth season but the quality wasn't 100 percent so I'm waiting for it on normal TV now. Looks good though.
Looking forward to it. Season 4 with the fullness of the 3 girls, but ending with 2 relationships in tatters and the continued development of Sheldon's and Amy's.
For me, season 4 was really getting not the heart and soul of each character as opposed to seasons 1 and 2 which was more focused n situations the characters were in.
Quote:
Hey, he's going up in the world, I recently saw him alongside Justin Timberlake in that movie 'InTime'. Great movie incidentally.
dWill check it out.
Johnny Galecki(Leonard) played the bf of Sara Gilbert(Leslie Winkle) in Rosanne, many moons ago.
He's been around a while and good for him with the rise of his career.
His Leonard is brilliant.
He puts so much into the insecureness, nervousness of the character I imagine he's exhausted after a days work.
So much goes into the body language for one.

Quote:
So funny !! I'm picturing him in those kinda, bright royal blue drainpipe trousers !!

I remember an even more outrageous 'get up' he wore, when they were going out pulling one night, but I can't seem to picture it...... Oh wait, it's coming back ........ there was an eye patch involved if I remember rightly, lol.
If memory serves correct, that's the get up with a very shiny yellow or purple or yellow and purple shirt, or he has a few with shiny clothes.
But yeah the eye patch.
His arsenel of ways to pick up chicks is always a hoot.

In the interviews he mentions how each season his clothes get tighter and tighter.
He has a huge colection of different belt buckles.
Retro Nintendo controller being the first one.
And he's always wearing a alien head pin, which is always different.
[/quote] Indeedy. I fess up, I've got a bit of a crush on Bernadette, I do go for that look for some reason. I dunno, is that voice for real ??[/quote]
Oh yeah, she's way cute. A whole lotta yum in such a small package.
From interviews. The voice is acted. It's a copy of her mum's voice.
Though she real voice is just as cute.

Though you may have noticed they dress Bernadette and Amy down compared to Penny.
Americans, i have heard, are somewhat obsessed with blondes, so Penny is the iconic hot blonde girl next door that fantasies are made of.
And she a dummy. What's with blondes and being dumb?
But that's why she's there. She is dumb intellectually , but has street smarts.
The nerds have intellectual smarts, but are street dumb.

I am not a fan of blondes, but I quite like how Penny holds herself, her body language etc.
She dresses scantily, but is not sexual about it.
As she is an ex tomboy country gal.
She's down to earth, is not about showing off in flirt mode and her body language reflects this relaxed attitude toward herself.
She knows she pretty but doesn't make a bifg deal out of it.

And poor old Amy, well they have gone all out to make her look as frumpy as possible.
But that's part of the appeal of this show, exaggerated stereo types.

Quote:
I bet 'The Flash' likes too, hehehe. Great critique btw AC.
tnx.
~laughs~ As soon as i read that I saw and heard Sheldon running back and forward in their flat,
with his Flash outfit on, yelling "ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM"
Turns and runs and "ZOOM ZOOOM ZOOM!"

Funny 'cus of the sound.
Funny 'cus of the body actions.
Funny 'cus Sheldon is a 27 year old in a super hero costume repeating words out of a comic book denoting what it might sound like when one runs quickly.
Bringing fantasy into reality as if there's nothing weird about doing so.
Which is of course, another reason i like the show.
People behaving "insanely" but they don't think so.
They are simply being themselves, and of course Sheldeon is the least bit concerned what others think of his behaviour or observations.

One of the themes of the show for me, releasing\rediscovering\enjoying the child within.
The imaginative, creative, free expressing, inquisitve, explorative, questioning, always fascinated child that is encrouched upon by social conventions.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Mountain-Goat

My bad.
Sheldon's triple door knocking starts halfway into season 1.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Carpark
I agree (Sheldon's quirks).
And i like the continuity\consistency of everyone's traits, in that they build jokes around them, but they make sure it's logical and makes sense and there's no contradictions in later eps.
Instead of throwing it all away for the sake of one good joke.

Yeah, great attention to detail, I guess Ya gotta have it in that sorta paradigm really.

The creators and actors remain true to the characters.
As Chuck Lore and Bill Prady(creators) mentioned in one interview...paraphrasing, "we love these characters and we pour our heart and soul into them"

Sheldon's evolution.
Like in season 1, he only knocks once, but in later seasons he always knocks three times.
They even build jokes around this one quirk.

Lol yeah, that meany Penny opens the door after just two when he's being especially irritating .... cue the twitch.

Looking forward to it. Season 4 with the fullness of the 3 girls, but ending with 2 relationships in tatters and the continued development of Sheldon's and Amy's.

You mean 'Shamy', teehee.

For me, season 4 was really getting not the heart and soul of each character as opposed to seasons 1 and 2 which was more focused n situations the characters were in.

dWill check it out.
Johnny Galecki(Leonard) played the bf of Sara Gilbert(Leslie Winkle) in Rosanne, many moons ago.

That's interesting, didn't know that. Leslie is another great character. My fave peripheral character has to be 'Kwipki' though. Hey, they say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but these guys make art of it.

.....Oh, then there's Leonards mum, of course. Pure gold.

He's been around a while and good for him with the rise of his career.
His Leonard is brilliant.
He puts so much into the insecureness, nervousness of the character I imagine he's exhausted after a days work.
So much goes into the body language for one.

If memory serves correct, that's the get up with a very shiny yellow or purple or yellow and purple shirt, or he has a few with shiny clothes.
But yeah the eye patch.

That's the one, too funny. When I first copped a loada those outfit's I'd wondered if it was supposed to be set in the eighties. True.

His arsenel of ways to pick up chicks is always a hoot.

And not just chicks either ...... wasn't there something about his female character in World of Warcraft ?, lol *shudders*

In the interviews he mentions how each season his clothes get tighter and tighter.
He has a huge colection of different belt buckles.
Retro Nintendo controller being the first one.
And he's always wearing a alien head pin, which is always different.

Oh yeah, she's way cute. A whole lotta yum in such a small package.
From interviews. The voice is acted. It's a copy of her mum's voice.
Though she real voice is just as cute.

Put on the viewing list.

Though you may have noticed they dress Bernadette and Amy down compared to Penny.
Americans, i have heard, are somewhat obsessed with blondes, so Penny is the iconic hot blonde girl next door that fantasies are made of.
And she a dummy. What's with blondes and being dumb?
But that's why she's there. She is dumb intellectually , but has street smarts.
The nerds have intellectual smarts, but are street dumb.

Indeedy .... they 'complete' each other.

I am not a fan of blondes, but I quite like how Penny holds herself, her body language etc.
She dresses scantily, but is not sexual about it.
As she is an ex tomboy country gal.
She's down to earth, is not about showing off in flirt mode and her body language reflects this relaxed attitude toward herself.
She knows she pretty but doesn't make a bifg deal out of it.

And poor old Amy, well they have gone all out to make her look as frumpy as possible.
But that's part of the appeal of this show, exaggerated stereo types.

Zactly.

tnx.
~laughs~ As soon as i read that I saw and heard Sheldon running back and forward in their flat,
with his Flash outfit on, yelling "ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM"
Turns and runs and "ZOOM ZOOOM ZOOM!"

And the fancy dress party where they all turned up as t' Flash, lol. I remember Howard ended up as 'being mistaken for Robin Hood' or somat, but not entirely sure about Sheldon's final ludicrous ensemble. Possibly 'the Doppler effect', hehe. Not the first choice that springs to mind, eh.

Funny 'cus of the sound.
Funny 'cus of the body actions.
Funny 'cus Sheldon is a 27 year old in a super hero costume repeating words out of a comic book denoting what it might sound like when one runs quickly.
Bringing fantasy into reality as if there's nothing weird about doing so.
Which is of course, another reason i like the show.
People behaving "insanely" but they don't think so.
They are simply being themselves, and of course Sheldeon is the least bit concerned what others think of his behaviour or observations.

One of the themes of the show for me, releasing\rediscovering\enjoying the child within.
The imaginative, creative, free expressing, inquisitve, explorative, questioning, always fascinated child that is encrouched upon by social conventions.

Yeah, I wanna say it kinda challenges pre-convention, but I'm not sure that's the way to put it. Pre-conceptions anyway.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:11 PM
angelleem

Lol just watched the hulk episode yesterday lol...I am in love with Sheldon quirks and all... I have seen some of the fifth episode were Sheldons girlfriend who is a friend who is a girl is played by tv.s Blossom from the early 90's...brilliant show
Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 PM
earthstarr

gotta love Big Bang.......... think I have a little Sheldon in me lol........
Old 14-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus72
Lol yeah, that meany Penny opens the door after just two when he's being especially irritating .... cue the twitch.
Haha that one, and when he's just begun a rant about something at the lunchtable at the uni and Howard interrupts to say he's thinking about growing a 'tash,
or the one where he has to keep Penny's community college history a secret from Leonard but Leonard keeps asking him questions.
Quote:
You mean 'Shamy', teehee.
Haha, there's just so much to adore inthis show.
Quote:
That's interesting, didn't know that. Leslie is another great character. My fave peripheral character has to be 'Kwipki' though. Hey, they say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but these guys make art of it.

.....Oh, then there's Leonards mum, of course. Pure gold.
The killer robot ep...Raj's asks, "what part of the country does that dialect(Kwipki's lisp) come from?

And there's a scene from the bloopers reel where Sheldon and Leonard are talking at the kitchen bench, Leonard's mum walks in, slightly bewildered as she slowly reaizies she has missed her cue and entered too early.
Sheldon and Leonard finish their dialogue then acknowledge her untimely presense with "Hello"

They both are bemused and the audience are laughing.
The script guy rushes in smiling, Leonard's mum reads the script, still staying in character apart from a slight smile.
The script guys rushes out of view, Leonard's mum approaches the two boys, resumes character and says "Sorry" and walks back to her first positon off camera.
Leonard, Sheldon and the audience crack up.

Quote:
That's the one, too funny. When I first copped a loada those outfit's I'd wondered if it was supposed to be set in the eighties. True.
Apart from Raj(thus far as i can tell) each male lead character has some quirk that signifies being stuck in the past.
Howard with his attitude towards women and his hunting for chicks outfits,
Leonard has a cordroy suit and Sheldon is the most childlike of the four.

Oh and upon my current viewing, Howard is wearing gold shoes with his eye patch outfit.
Quote:
And the fancy dress party where they all turned up as t' Flash, lol. I remember Howard ended up as 'being mistaken for Robin Hood' or somat, but not entirely sure about Sheldon's final ludicrous ensemble. Possibly 'the Doppler effect', hehe. Not the first choice that springs to mind, eh.
Howard was mistaken for Peter Pan, though he was going for Robin Hood.
What did you think his outfit conveyed?
It reminded me of Thin Arthur, a wacky chracter from an aussie comedy show back in the 80's..Aunty Jack.
Thin Arthur wore black and white ankle length wrestling type leotards with a top hat and undersized tails jacket.
Quote:
Yeah, I wanna say it kinda challenges pre-convention, but I'm not sure that's the way to put it. Pre-conceptions anyway.
Not only do i enjoy comedy just for the pleasure of laughter and other emotions it emotes, but the deeper meaning behind well written comedy.
As you say, challenging one's conceptions.
To me, the very act of finding something funny is because it is confronting one's conceptions of reality.

Comedy to me, has to be one of the most effective ways to present an observation about reality without people getting defensive.
Usually the defense occurs because the person percieves the observation is about oneself.
Comedy is written by cretive explorative people who wish to inspire others to explore, to think outside the box.
Social commentry at it's best.

Not all comedy of course.