Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 23-08-2019, 03:13 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadville
I'm always surprised how few Americans are even aware of Modern Spiritualism let alone know that it has its roots in Hydesville, NY.

I have been a Spiritualist for 8 years now. I have never seen a Spiritualist church, met another Spiritualist, and have rarely met anyone who knew what Spiritualism is.

There are church congregations, here and there. But not many. It would be analogous to the UK having one church in London, one in Belfast, and one in the Hebrides.
Old 23-08-2019, 04:03 PM
leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Behind
You know. . . I've been to England 4 times. The first 3 trips were with my wife: and I didn't become interested in Spiritualism until she passed on. The 4th time was afterwards, but the trip was with a group tour that had been arranged and paid for before her death. Time was completely booked in: no time for me to do anything on my own.

Today, I'm too old and tired, and broke and broke-down to go anywhere! But I do keep in touch with some UK Spiritualists via the internet, and have been given terrific messages.

I remember how and why you first joined us, J....

There was no need on your earlier visits to know about Spiritualist churches or the message of survival etc. Times changed but other than for interest you still don't need to experience the formalised structure of the churches. You know about survival and although there's always something still to understand, fundamentals are what matter.

The world wide web is a wonderful way of keeping in touch with those who share you interest. I hope you haven't forgotten where we are?
Old 23-08-2019, 04:11 PM
leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Behind
I have been a Spiritualist for 8 years now. I have never seen a Spiritualist church, met another Spiritualist, and have rarely met anyone who knew what Spiritualism is.

There are church congregations, here and there. But not many. It would be analogous to the UK having one church in London, one in Belfast, and one in the Hebrides.

It's 35 years 'in the spooks' for me now, J. I'm gettin' on a bit!

I haven't met many Spiritualists face-to-face in the past couple of decades or more and even online there are only a few who have any understanding. In downtown PHX, an hour away, there are a couple of nominally Spiritualist centres which I've thought about visiting but 15 years on and I've yet to do it! Maybe next winter...

Years ago I found a real Spiritualist centre in FL and that was a very pleasant experience - just as I'd expect in the UK.
Old 24-08-2019, 03:34 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadville
I'm always surprised how few Americans are even aware of Modern Spiritualism let alone know that it has its roots in Hydesville, NY.

and very few can find it on the map................

Lived for awhile in Rochester, NY.
Hydesdale not too far away.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 24-08-2019, 04:55 AM
leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
and very few can find it on the map................

Lived for awhile in Rochester, NY.
Hydesdale not too far away.

It wasn't that difficult to find an official reference and presumably the physical location is still there even if maps don't show it - but it's Hydesville rather than Hydesdale. https://exploringupstate.com/hydesvi...ers-newark-ny/
Old 25-08-2019, 12:52 AM
Master
Slip of the ...... keyboard.

Have you ever been to Camp Chesterfield?

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:56 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea
Simple question?

Is Spiritualism regarded as a Religion?
If it is.......why isn't it included in the telephone directories under the heading of 'Religion'?

Deepsea
According to the National Spiritualist Association of Churches,
based in Lily Dale, New York, claim Spiritualism is a RELIGION.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:01 AM
hazada guess

Yes,I agree Bigjohn.I think that it is now classed as a religion.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:50 PM
leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
According to the National Spiritualist Association of Churches,
based in Lily Dale, New York, claim Spiritualism is a RELIGION.

This thread is donkey's years old. My dear friend deepsea (quoted post) passed over some time back after years of declining health.

She will now be home with he beloved husband, Ken, who passed several years before her and who she desperately missed, the reason she came looking for understanding of survival, a subject about which I was able to help her. She'll now have found in the world of the spirit all the things she learned about while she was here with us on earth. You're remembered and missed, Joanie.

In the UK - where Spiritualism is much more active than here in the US where it originated in upstate New York - Spiritualism was constituted as a religion in the 50's, last century, last millennium.

Spiritualism is widely acknowledged as a religion by many UK bodies and organisations and recently representatives from the SNU took part in our Cenotaph Remembrance ceremony in London, UK.