Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Crystals & Gemstones

Old 15-03-2018, 08:24 PM
Master
What is this?

I know the brown veins are copper inclusions/veins, but what do you think the base stone is? Granite? Milky Quartz? White Quartzite?

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Any help appreciated.

https://i.imgur.com/QhiD9Qb.jpg?1
Old 15-03-2018, 08:55 PM
Experiencer
Could it be White Howlite? and unpolished of course.

Howlite Meanings and Properties ~ is pretty awesome if you google it. I mean its energies. Might try it some day... my queue list is so long tho xD
Old 16-03-2018, 01:51 AM
Administrator
Hello

I have to agree it looks like raw Howlite as it has the lines in it. What makes it different than the normal black and white howlite is that reddish colour that is in it. As it is in raw stone form it has not been altered by dies as Howlite is well faked to look like other stones at times.

Lynn
Old 16-03-2018, 02:19 AM
Master
Hi.

Thank you both very much for your responses.

I was wondering if it is possible it could have been white onyx, as pictures of that I found while searching looked similar, as well as some of the information. What I found of information on white onyx is that it can have a brown color with also a bit of green, and could have different bands depending on minerals included.

I am unsure if it is possible for howlite to have green coloration as well. This stone has a touch of green in areas which I have attributed due to oxidization, in essence perhaps signaling a copper component. Meaning the large lines/cracks in the stone seem full of copper or something like it.

However I am also considering agreeing that the stone simply looks more calcium based like a howlite like Bubbles mentioned, rather than a quartz like base which you would find with white onyx. Howlite also it is worth noting has been found close by here to home in Canada, here in the north east usa I would find similar stones found nearby would more naturally, quite right, be natural to the area.

I will look some more into howlite.

Like I said, thank you both very much for answering.

I would never have found howlite if it weren't for the two of you, I've never heard of it.

Much appreciation.

Edit: I forgot, it is probably best to mention these brown lines, well much of them were very close to surface and cracked, this reddish brownish color seems to come off with a tiny bit of bleach which leads me to think these are either iron/cpper veins, so I am still very unsure of exactly what type of stone this is. Could it be quartzite even? I am unsure.

Howlite wouldn't do that would it? I mean the original white/gray variety, I am positive the gray wouldn't come out or off with howlite due to a small amount of bleach used when cleaning? Photos of the gray/white variety of howlite online, do not look, quite like the gray would do that, more it looks to be deep within the stone. Though the reddish brownish does go under this stone a bit, I believe them to be metal veins, but that still leaves me wondering what type of stone it is.
Old 16-03-2018, 01:35 PM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

Would have said White Howlite. This is what it looks like :) Could also be Tree Agate but that's more green & white.
Old 18-03-2018, 04:00 PM
Master
https://i.imgur.com/xdqXtLf.jpg?1

Alright, here I though I'd post a better image.

Informing now of an update. Apologies to disappoint, but after having performed a hardness test, it has been determined that yes, the stone is quartz based, is harder than the knife used, and is harder therefore than steel.

Yes it is quartz.

A raw piece of plain white quartz.
Old 18-03-2018, 08:06 PM
Master

it looks calcite like. also like a raw howlite.

howlites are good to use for past life stuff. if that's what it is.
Old 18-03-2018, 08:27 PM
Master
Yes. That is why I considered howlite, it does look very much like Calcite.

What is confusing me here, is by searching images of Howlite it appears the stone is colored gray and white, every single image, and if you read on it, there is only one variety that I have read of thus far, the white with gray banding.

This stone is very close to being pure white, there are grayish veins under the surface (within the stone) but not very many and I am assuming these grayish veins are the same I've found on the fractures on the outside- filled with loose iron oxidation.

Also it is confusing that the hardness test someone asked me to perform on a rock and mineral site I went to consisted of having to rule out howlite. Now this person said to rule out marble or howlite to scratch the rock with a steel knife. If it leaves a metal mark it is quartz, if it takes a chunk out of the rock it is more indicative of marble or howlite.

My knife was able to put small surface scratches on the stone. Small white surface scratches, and also left a gray mark.

Wouldn't that indicate it is harder than steel? If it is harder than steel with no doubt it is as hard as quartz.

If it is softer there is a chance for it to be marble, howlite, or another soft stone.

If it is softer than steel, it is softer than quartz.

Perhaps I should consider trying the hardness test again and try to use some more force with my scratching with the knife.

Any other thoughts on this?

Lynn, anything?

Thank you all very much for the response.

I agree it is very very white.

But then again there are white varieties of quartz.

Time and patience will tell.
Old 18-03-2018, 11:15 PM
Master
At first glance, I also wanted to say it was Howlite, but I am not so sure about that. Here is my Howlite. Though this is tumbled howlite. Raw howlite also has gray within it.

It is a white quartz? Does not appear to be a white quartz, unless it's like a milky quartz?
Old 19-03-2018, 12:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by innerlight
At first glance, I also wanted to say it was Howlite, but I am not so sure about that. Here is my Howlite. Though this is tumbled howlite. Raw howlite also has gray within it.

It is a white quartz? Does not appear to be a white quartz, unless it's like a milky quartz?

I am 100 positive it isn't Howlite.

My first instinct was milky quartz.

I wanted to call it Howlite because as Bubbles has said it appears to be very calcite in nature.

I asked on a treasure hunting forum I like to spend a little time at in the rocks section to try and get a positive ID. A member there whom answered is positive it is quartz.

I've had trouble finding a absolute positive ID on this stone. Here everyone is certain Howlite. I on the other hand am 100 percent positive it isn't howlite- the stone is way too hard to physically be identified as Howlite, but I have been definitely considering it could be calcite based perhaps instead of quartz based.

I finally asked my final expert. My father. Now he seems to think it isn't quartz or howlite. He said he is positive it is neither quartz or howlite, though he did say it may contain some quartz deposits in it. He seems to think it is actually feldspar. He began talking about when us kids were little and we went up to apatite mountain to the rock quarry there where we had found a lot of watermelon tourmaline, and tourmaline- and he began speaking of how the mountain pass was formed of much of feldspar, and how it is a magma formed mineral that usually contains crystal deposits.

So in the end he said he is positive it is feldspar.

I said "Oh so it isn't anything really cool".

He responded "What do you mean? That is pretty cool".

I said "It is"?

He said "Of course! It's feldspar!"

So it could be feldspar.

I am 100 percent absolutely positive that no, unfortunately it isn't Howlite.

But I view it as a stone of "Hope" now.

Hope that somewhere close by, yes it is possible there is a truly remarkable find waiting.

To be found, and appreciated.