Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 16-07-2016, 10:53 PM
Master

Each individual sees things their own way.
All those different belief systems are an example of this.

The way I see it, it is best to be truthful to oneself and compose one's own unique view on life.

Your view might even become the 4,001st belief system.
Perhaps even only practiced be you alone....

In my view, a belief system is the manual of the path one resonates with and likes most.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:40 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker1111
I was raised religious, but came to realize in adolescence that other children are raised in other faiths / belief systems , and the fact that I was handed down my tradition doesn't automatically mean it's true.

Hello, ya it was the same for me, was raised Mormon but no idea now, just figuring things out through finding bits of information that at times are drawn to me and having experiences and conducting experiments – mostly though seeking via intuition.

Quote:
So I want to know which religion / belief system / world-view is true, if any. My natural instinct is to look into the various belief systems in the world. But Wikipedia tells me there are more than 4,000 religions in the world! And I'm guessing that doesn't necessarily include the non-theistic belief systems.

Just to clarify what I mean by "true"... I think that all world-views have truth in them - eg all religions properly practiced can give a person peace and harmony with others and happiness.

That's a lot of religions. Without looking into it further I would agree with you that all of them would have truth to them. Obviously just seek your own path but to help sort though them here's a short bit I know. As far as I know Vedic teachings are very accurate and are among the oldest still around; I've heard that the Vedas where written during the last Golden age, a period of enlightenment. As far as I know most eastern teachings, other than perhaps (I haven't studied this stuff) Buddhist and Zen originating teachings, came from the Vedas. Dr Hawkins was once asked about the difference between eastern teachings and Christianity and he said that Christianity was focused on reaching heaven and eastern teaching where about enlightenment. I all depends on what you want, reaching heaven isn't the end all in realization. And that is all I know about the roots of religion – lol. Oh ya one other thing is the first division of Christianity happened at the very beginning, Jesus is said to have thought in the Gnostic way and the Catholic is said to be an alteration created by the governing body at the time – you'd have to do the research since I haven't looked into that greatly but Napolean is a person that you'd be looking into.

Quote:
But which one or ones, if any, are historically and ontologically correct.
I don't know, I think there is more than one original path. (a lot of gurus throughout more recent history and even other people of this forum have abilities that my old Mormon religion would have only mentioned as historical referances or things that only happened to profits.) If you'd really like to figure that part of the question out I would start with a religious historian to identify the original paths which would greatly limit the number of religion you'd have to learn about. After that I would briefly check each of them out then find great depth of info from someone who experiences the teachings first hand, explore the ones that feel intuitively right. And I suppose once you found the path then you could follow the path of that religion as history has caused it to evolve to see which division or original point is best – seems like a lot of work though.

Quote:
Which one is not just a bunch of myths, but is historically factual, and (even more importantly) which one(s)' portrayal of reality is commensurate with the way reality really is?

“the way reality really is” is a tricky statement because I'm not entirely sure what you mean, peoples views of reality are belief systems same as religion. If you want a religion that is focused on the world and how it works and nothing beyond that then seek science; if you want a religion that is focused on the world as it is but also believes in a different place for death then seek Christianity; if you want a religion that well tell you that the world is an illusion and that life beyond this world is only slightly less of an illusion then follow the path of enlightenment through which ever way you want.

Quote:
So my question is - how to approach all this, and how to proceed?

(and if ultimately the truth is inaccessible to me, I'd like to at least get the best understanding of reality that I can).

Thanks!

Not sure how you should proceed but asking the question was a good start, I'm sure you'll get something out of asking the question. What I can tell you though is how it worked for me. I was Mormon though our practice of it was on and a lot of off. I've always had unusual experiences throughout life and they always seemed to back what I believed. In my early 20's I got a little bored with life being too simplistic and easy so I gave into imagination and explored ideas that I would have otherwise dismissed. These new ideas lead to new experiences that conformed them. This all continued for a few years, greatly expanding what I thought possible until one day an experience blew apart everything I knew because it confirmed that my beliefs where creating the experiences that I used to test and define my understanding of things and so for sometime after that it was difficult to proceed, to figure things out and at the same time I couldn't put faith in anything I have previously believed because all of my beliefs had been rooted in experiences. As of now, still figuring it out but it's going well; I no longer seek belief systems but try to identify underlying principles of existence which when I understand all of that then I can either proceed in the direction of learning various applications such as astral travel or manifesting or I can go into studying religious books with a better understanding of it so that weakness in religions well stand out.
By the way - I know your path has been tried and so - It may seem like the way to go - Me, I'd rather be found - Trying something new - I gotta go find my own way - I gotta go make my own mistakes - Sorry for feeling, feeling the way I do
[b]
Old 12-08-2016, 11:51 PM
Deactivated Account
For me truth is beyond belief systems, belief systems can point to what is called truth, but the systems themselves are not the truth.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:25 PM
Deactivated Account
Smile I'll take HAPPINESS over truth

[quote=truthseeker1111]
Quote:
I was raised religious, but came to realize in adolescence that other children are raised in other faiths / belief systems , and the fact that I was handed down my tradition doesn't automatically mean it's true.
The first fight I ever had with another kid was over RELIGION! His religion was the only true and real one so we started throwing punches!

Quote:
So I want to know which religion / belief system / world-view is true, if any.
I am at a point where HAPPINESS means more to me than any truth, fact, reality or proof. I appreciate that someone has proved such and such in science but my bottom line is - does that make me HAPPY?
It may seem shallow but I don't care at all if there is or isn't a god, truth, facts, etc. I just care about being HAPPY and the happiness of others.
For me, a HAPPY religion is good enough and many of them offer various forms of happiness so, I'd just look around and try a few out until you are satisfied. My current favorite spiritual interest is Non-duality or Advaita Vedanta or any philosophy that teaches about Unity or Oneness.

Quote:
Just to clarify what I mean by "true"... I think that all world-views have truth in them - eg all religions properly practiced can give a person peace and harmony with others and happiness.

That's what I go for - HAPPINESS!

Quote:
But which one or ones, if any, are historically and ontologically correct. Which one is not just a bunch of myths, but is historically factual, and (even more importantly) which one(s)' portrayal of reality is commensurate with the way reality really is?
They will all claim to teach about "reality" so toss a coin on it.

Quote:
To go through the more than 4000 systems seems very daunting, and yet, how else?

LOL, start anywhere! Once you start, something may come to guide or lead you along the road.

Quote:
(and if ultimately the truth is inaccessible to me, I'd like to at least get the best understanding of reality that I can).
I no longer need to "understand" anything. I just want HAPPINESS however and wherever I can find it. I found happiness in psychotherapy and in Advaita. Toss a coin...........
Old 22-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Master
Quote:
...To go through the more than 4000 systems seems very daunting, and yet, how else?
The truth is already within you, or how else would you recognise it when you hear it.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:08 AM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

In my own perception, the reason that the notion that, "there is no truth," resonates with so many people eventually, is because we are all modules set forth by something greater that is also seeking to discover the truth. As billions of individual modules, our pursuits and seeking, discoveries, perceptions, experiences are cumulatively collected through us to our common source. The purpose is to explore, seek, experience, absorb and so on, yet due to our origin and purpose, we are also driven by that question, that desire, to discover or discern the "truth" - it keeps us motivated for our purpose. It can be a bit frustrating at times, certainly, but it is completely purposeful and important, so it is best to embrace it and carry on.