Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 08-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Ascender
What is the difference between Worship and Surrender?

Is there a difference between;

Worshipping God, or Surrendering to God, or Praising God, or Remembering God, or submitting to God...

Are they all the same or not?

mj
Old 08-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew James

Worshipping God, or Surrendering to God, or Praising God, or Remembering God, or submitting to God...

mj
Depends entirely on the theology and ontology.

Many monotheistic religions see worship as a surrendering to God, in general. Or praise.

Many pre-Christian religions that were polytheistic saw worship and veneration as a relationship of reciprocity. Give to the Gods and they give to us.

I don't see them as the same, but I think that a lot of the time they can be interconnected, depending on the religion.
Praise and worship are mostly the same in my book though, as is 'remembering'. When one worships a deity, you praise them, and remember them as an active, blessed presence. But the worship doesn't have to be surrendering or debasement. The ancient Egyptians would threaten gods, and so would the ancient Germanic tribes - whereas the Sumerians saw themselves as literal slaves to the gods. So that illustrates the complexity of views concerning man's relationship to the gods.

/ramble lol.

It's a complicated and interesting question.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Master

They aren't all the same but they are all interconnected. The difference between worship and praise is that worship focuses on who God is while praise focuses on what he has done. Surrendering and submitting to God are the same and are necessary before we can truly worship him. Remembering God means putting him first in our thoughts and is part of worship and praise.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:12 PM
SerpentQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew James

mj

I don't think they are the same. I said on the other thread last night that I had a moment when I surrendered to God, and it was when I allowed myself to explore the experience of no separation between me and God. So, "surrender," when I use that term, means "no separation." Whereas worshipping and praising would imply there is a separation -- can you see that?

That said, I can certainly understand wanting to worship and praise the God one sees in another's eyes, or in the beauty of a flower, or tree, or sky. And when you realize ("remember") you aren't separate from any of those things either, you see you are worshipping and praising yourself, which is cool, and very very healing.

Submitting is a strange word. Not sure about that one, though I suppose I do often have the experience of submitting to a will that is greater than myself (small s, not capital S). Also I suppose "submit" could mean "trust" which makes it similar to "surrender" in my view.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by theophilus
Surrendering and submitting to God are the same and are necessary before we can truly worship him.

so surrendering comes before worship, that seams like how it would be

mj
Old 08-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentQueen
.... So, "surrender," ... means "no separation."..
Whereas worshipping and praising would imply there is a separation -- can you see that?

yes, i can see what you mean to some degree. surrendering is a joining of some type and praising is a giving towards. praising seams to define what the concept is better than the word worshipping.

...And when you realize ("remember") you aren't separate from any of those things either, you see you are worshipping and praising yourself, ....

this is an interesting concept.

...I suppose "submit" could mean "trust" which makes it similar to "surrender" in my view.

yes, the word submit seams to be the same as surrender.

mj