Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 04-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglow
When someone says to me "you're very spiritual", there is a part of me that kind of bulks at it. Perhaps, being labeled or pigeoned-hole doesn't set well with me.

Why?

Don't we seek to be spiritual?

I mention this cause it's a feeling I've seen.

Look at what the person says, not to yourself, aren't they talking about themselves maybe, not you. As I think about myself, doesn't I think about themselves. Both are negative to imo. You are not important to them. You can be a mirror. I was thinking about ego to. (Just to clarify, they are seeing in light they are not spiritual, not that you are. I call this negative imaging)

We are taught, instructed if you will, not to speak or share knowledge learned, especially secret knowledge because it can lead to quality of pride, this may be another innate reason more so then some stereotype. The person can fall into the trap of the feeling thinking themselves spiritually better then another, which of course is a karma issue, but it also can be a beautiful test or lesson about fear. One can simply say thank you imo because they weren't talking to you, maybe.

I doubt I will ever be pigeon-holed as I tend to see differently then billions of people using the same words they do under the umbrella of that teaching ... To me if I would ever hear someone tell me such a thing I know I would feel only I'm working on it and that is what I'd feel. Also this means you have to continue being more spiritual.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:59 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemex
Why?

I mention this cause it's a feeling I've seen.

Look at what the person says, not to yourself, aren't they talking about themselves maybe, not you. As I think about myself, doesn't I think about themselves. Both are negative to imo. You are not important to them. You can be a mirror. I was thinking about ego to. (Just to clarify, they are seeing in light they are not spiritual, not that you are. I call this negative imaging)

We are taught, instructed if you will, not to speak or share knowledge learned, especially secret knowledge because it can lead to quality of pride, this may be another innate reason more so then some stereotype. The person can fall into the trap of the feeling thinking themselves spiritually better then another, which of course is a karma issue, but it also can be a beautiful test or lesson about fear. One can simply say thank you imo because they weren't talking to you, maybe.

I doubt I will ever be pigeon-holed as I tend to see differently then billions of people using the same words they do under the umbrella of that teaching ... To me if I would ever hear someone tell me such a thing I know I would feel only I'm working on it and that is what I'd feel. Also this means you have to continue being more spiritual.

Hi lemex,

Why? Because I experience more then what may identified as "spiritual".
I am spiritual, physical, and mental,lol.

It is not I have a problem with another saying I am spiritual and appreciate what I take as a compliment. It is notice a part of me bulks at it. A part of me says, but that is not all of me.

Upon reflecting what you present, can see that it may be the other seeing and feeling a connection. Yes, can understand that may very well be the other reflecting themselves to me. So, I simply thank them and move on.

To me being prideful is not so much speaking about what one knows or believes, but the approach. To superior about comes off as prideful. Perhaps fear is at hand, in the sense of losing control or actually not knowing. Can't say for another, just a hunch I get at times.

Yes, I am a work in progress. What I know, I know, as with anyone. What I survived, deserves credit, atleast by me. What is felt and seen by others reflected back, is noted. All the other influences which created and guide me.
If it be egotistical to acknowledge my part and others in this and be thankful, so be it.

What do you mean by "being more spiritual"?

To me that is some of the conundrum. Being told one has to be more.... What if someone is perfectly content being as he/she is, whether following a "spiritual" set way or just his/her own way without thinking about any of this?

Thank you it has me looking at another side.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:31 PM
Master

Quote:

What do you mean by "being more spiritual"?

Just as you have said, the feeling one has to take on some kind of role, even the feeling one cannot be themselves. Expectation outside of oneself. Hope that makes sense.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:56 PM
Master
Quote:
Just as you have said, the feeling one has to take on some kind of role, even the feeling one cannot be themselves. Expectation outside of oneself. Hope that makes sense.

Sure it makes sense.
One can spend a lifetime or lifetimes (depending how one looks at it) attempting to overcome all of it. Or one can recongnized what may need a bit of tweaking here and there and adjust as best one can, IMO.

It seems many take on a "role" every now and then, according to the circumstances at hand.

I am not sure nature/source or however it is viewed really expects much from us.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:33 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Why?
Not the best of questions, try "What are the reasons?" And yes, there is a difference, very much so.

Quote:
If so, what is it you're seeking and if you're seeking what are you missing? The seeker is always that which is sought, I don't seek what I already am.

Quote:
I quite agree, minus the 'negative' because polarised thinking gets in the way.

Quote:
It's an ego issue. Sometimes Spiritual people can think they're 'holier than thou' because they're Spiritual by their own definitions and someone else isn't. What they don't understand is that this is ego on steroids and it reflects their lack of Spirituality.

Quote:
If you "have to continue being more Spiritual" then you've pigeon-holed yourself because that's more common than you think. The enlightenment there is not thinking that you need to be more Spiritual but in the reasons you think that way. That thought is an example of how ego has got in the way of Spirituality, because the idea we have to be more Spiritual is most likely self esteem or a lack of some kind and that's ego. If you were Spiritual you'd realise that you're already as Spiritual as you need to be for your own reasons.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:05 PM
Greenslade

Quote:
When someone says to me "you're very spiritual", there is a part of me that kind of bulks at it. Perhaps, being labeled or pigeoned-hole doesn't set well with me.
I acknowledge and for the most part thank them for it, but what does it really mean?

For when just going about and living it without needing to talk about, is it seen?
Am I still being "spiritual"? Does it even matter in the long run?

Maybe it is just where my head is at, at present. I have come to realize it is all spiritual, if one perceives it that way. Spirit, goes along with whatever and however one may live it.

Ego was not even a term I used to disguish what part of myself was doing it.
Just noticed, that it was and is the way I think and how it relates with in the brain. But, these are influenced by so many other factors (genetics, history, society, ect) that seem to form my identity.

So, ego is just are part of it all. A concept, teaching if you will of exploring how we may think ourselves to be. This, interests me because have gone through periods in which how I viewed myself was pretty warped. People saw me as a good guy, but there were undercurrents with in me that resisted accepting this fully.

I was kind, but could be sharp at the same time. Some may say my ego was out of balance or took over. But, didn't look at it that way. Asked myself "why is it I treat myself like dirt?" Yes, this may be seen as egotistical, and is, but it was not about battling the "ego". It was about accepting myself.

I am more at peace with all that now. Basically take on the position; Forget 'em if they can't take a joke"

The forums basically has brought a better understanding of what is being referred to by "ego" with in the Eastern teachings/philosophies of it. Which some I have already come across and read, and discussed with friends. These concepts make more sense to me, outside of the no-self bit, but that is another topic all together.

All in all what we do, how we do it, whether one even cares about it seems to play into how ego gets perceived. It kind of rubs me at times how the negatives gets the spotlight. How about all the good stuff we do for each other and is realized, aren't these ego (what is desired) at play as well?

Thank you for your thoughts and insights, Greenslade
Everyone has their own ideas of what Spiritual is or isn't, but I personally feel that there are those that can tell these things through their 'sixth sense' and use the word 'Spiritual' to recognise someone they perceive as being of high vibrations. For me, Spiritual is as Spiritual does. I don't know if it was labelling on their part, some just want to express what they perceive and most likely meant it as a compliment.

I've spent a lot of time trying to understand ego and especially my own, because often I like to know what makes people tick and find it more interesting than what they believe in sometimes. That's why I've spent time looking at articles from Jung and others, because they are the experts. Granted things change as clinical studies are more in depth but their works are still held in high regard. Even with a simple sense of 'I Am' as Jung once defined the ego, together with all of its various aspects it's an amazing bit of kit. And that's even before the external aspects you've mentioned have taken their toll.

Mt ego is also at peace and I donb't have to battle with it any more, it's a benefit of making your enemy your friend. Acknowledging my ego means I have come to terms with everything that brought me here today, starting from epi-genetics and all my conscious experiences since. Today I can look myself in the mirror and that's been a long time coming, and I can acknowledge the differences I've made to people's Lives. Call that ego if you like but I don't care, because all of what I Am contributed to being able to really empathise with someone. If I can help someone out and having an ego is a part of the deal, I'll keep my ego. I'll keep it anyway because, y'know, I like my personality and it's fun being me.

I've been looking at some pretty cool stuff lately, and there's a bit of synchronicity happening. In a whimsical mood I wondered if - seeing as how we are energetic beings and all that - would quantum theory and Spirituality coincide. OK so neuroscience and neurons, etc are obviously going to affect how w can process Spirituality, but it doesn't explain things like a 'sixth sense' or the 'clairs/Spirit links'. So, if you're a clairvoyant and you're linked into Spirit and you're receiving information, how does that work? Quantum theory would - whimsically - answer that. It turns out that new work being done by Penrose and Hameroff covers just that. What Hameroff is looking at it microtubules in the brain that are quantum- capable, and the microtubules are the building blocks, A quantum noggin? That's something for the ego to get excited over.

Thank you too Moonglow and sincerely, Namaste.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:16 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
Everyone has their own ideas of what Spiritual is or isn't, but I personally feel that there are those that can tell these things through their 'sixth sense' and use the word 'Spiritual' to recognise someone they perceive as being of high vibrations. For me, Spiritual is as Spiritual does. I don't know if it was labelling on their part, some just want to express what they perceive and most likely meant it as a compliment.

I've spent a lot of time trying to understand ego and especially my own, because often I like to know what makes people tick and find it more interesting than what they believe in sometimes. That's why I've spent time looking at articles from Jung and others, because they are the experts. Granted things change as clinical studies are more in depth but their works are still held in high regard. Even with a simple sense of 'I Am' as Jung once defined the ego, together with all of its various aspects it's an amazing bit of kit. And that's even before the external aspects you've mentioned have taken their toll.

Mt ego is also at peace and I donb't have to battle with it any more, it's a benefit of making your enemy your friend. Acknowledging my ego means I have come to terms with everything that brought me here today, starting from epi-genetics and all my conscious experiences since. Today I can look myself in the mirror and that's been a long time coming, and I can acknowledge the differences I've made to people's Lives. Call that ego if you like but I don't care, because all of what I Am contributed to being able to really empathise with someone. If I can help someone out and having an ego is a part of the deal, I'll keep my ego. I'll keep it anyway because, y'know, I like my personality and it's fun being me.

I've been looking at some pretty cool stuff lately, and there's a bit of synchronicity happening. In a whimsical mood I wondered if - seeing as how we are energetic beings and all that - would quantum theory and Spirituality coincide. OK so neuroscience and neurons, etc are obviously going to affect how w can process Spirituality, but it doesn't explain things like a 'sixth sense' or the 'clairs/Spirit links'. So, if you're a clairvoyant and you're linked into Spirit and you're receiving information, how does that work? Quantum theory would - whimsically - answer that. It turns out that new work being done by Penrose and Hameroff covers just that. What Hameroff is looking at it microtubules in the brain that are quantum- capable, and the microtubules are the building blocks, A quantum noggin? That's something for the ego to get excited over.

Thank you too Moonglow and sincerely, Namaste.

Namaste Greenslade,

It seems the brain is barely known and there is progress in exploring its functions, yet it seems we hardly know much less use its full function.

You have me peeking around the Web and briefly skimmed over some things about Hameroff. Not being familiar with him, it does look interesting. Yay, more stuff to learn.

Consciousness is often mentioned, but do we really understand it? How much is stored in our DNA and general make up of being Human, not to mention the Spirit parts? I do feel science is catching up with Spirituality. Just different approaches in seeking to understand our being.

Ego at play, what comes to me. The wonder and hunger to know oneself. Not in a pompous way, but in the pure way of couriosity and wonder.

Come across, from time to time, talk of other dimensions. Wonder if some of these seen or felt as another dimension is simply an opening up of what is already with in us. Lays sleeping or unnoticed until something triggers it to wake up and then shifts the outlook upon the world.

Things become brighter and more in tune with lifes movements. Feeling giving the sense of being in another demention, but still here, just the view has widened a bit.

This may lead to, that what has been told to one is not all there is, we are much more, there is much more. Imagine it to be like the first time someone looked through a telescope and saw there is more to this then just here.

This is some of how it has come to me. With in it all my ego laughs, shrugs, stand humbled by it. Depending what comes along.

Don't know how it all occurs and to bring Spirit and loved ones in spirit communicating with me, brother now you got a party. (got a little carried away).

The whole thing about ego for me is in what contex is it being talked about?
If it be having a self identity, then it seems to me it is how one expresses such.
If be in how one thinks things to be, then it can reflect just how creative we are.

Some say it is as you think it to be. Some of this is true, then as you presented there are those other aspects that appear to have no thinking about it involved.
They just occur.

I feel we are also energetic being and sense this with each other. This seems just as natural as speaking, hugging, and all the other fleshy bits, just that it flows a little differently. As best I can express this at present. Which seems science and Spirituality seem to explore and point to. Just in different terms.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:28 PM
Master

Quote:
It seems the brain is barely known and there is progress in exploring its functions....

Nice insight imo because one of the things I have noticed (in) every (existing) form of teaching which may be made up actually requires years if not a life time of study and to practice (which is not done) to feel that it must be recognized, ego is automatic and a classic example at the start of life. Are we somehow out of sync. The same principles that applied thousands of years ago haven't changed which to me is a little thought provoking in that ego has a predetermined natural state and development of it may just be part of being spiritual. Ego is given to you and formed is it not. Aren't we told ego from the beginning is not good and if you are ego, attach to that. I think there is a feeling as ego is not good we are not imo. Just for consideration of influence. i was once told if you want people to believe something, tell them. We believe what we have been told.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:19 PM
Master

Quote:
, ego is automatic and a classic example at the start of life. Are we somehow out of sync. The same principles that applied thousands of years ago haven't changed which to me is a little thought provoking in that ego has a predetermined natural state and development of it may just be part of being spiritual. Ego is given to you and formed is it not. Aren't we told ego from the beginning is not good and if you are ego, attach to that..

lemex,

Ego is acquired, IMO, spirit is accessed. One is temporal, one is eternal. Ego, technically, is not observable until a child refers to himself as "I" instead of the name that others might call him/her.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:41 AM
Master
Quote:
Nice insight imo because one of the things I have noticed (in) every (existing) form of teaching which may be made up actually requires years if not a life time of study and to practice (which is not done) to feel that it must be recognized, ego is automatic and a classic example at the start of life. Are we somehow out of sync. The same principles that applied thousands of years ago haven't changed which to me is a little thought provoking in that ego has a predetermined natural state and development of it may just be part of being spiritual. Ego is given to you and formed is it not. Aren't we told ego from the beginning is not good and if you are ego, attach to that. I think there is a feeling as ego is not good we are not imo. Just for consideration of influence. i was once told if you want people to believe something, tell them. We believe what we have been told.

Hi lemex,

Some thoughts this brings to me.

For me, depends how one may or may not consider/relate to the term "ego".
Does an infant have a self identity? Or does it just react to inner needs and outside stimuli? Does it react to its name or the tone of someone's voice?

I have not study child development, so the questions above come to me as a wonder.

For when is self identity and the "ego" part of the mind develops. Yes, one is born with an awareness that one exist, in some manner. The wondering is when does one becomes aware of being a self/individual.

As pointed out in another post, it does seem to me as well that the sense of "ego" forms with a sense of being an individual.

So, is it being told that if one expresses independence then this is egotistical and therefore not good? When a child expresses this, what happens? But, what happens seems more a reflection of the parent(s) then the child and gets projected unto the child, IMO.

Which leads my thought as to how much of what may related to the "ego" aspects is actually completely the individual true sense of self.

Yes, many things told do seem to seep into the consciousness. So it seems with practice one can sort through it. But, one also has to be aware of it being there in the first place, if one desires to do such, IMO.

Looking at "ego" as symbolizing the sense of self identity.

Thank you for your thoughts.