Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Natural Remedies

Old 18-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Guide
Saw Palmetto for Women...

I have been taking Saw Palmetto Berries for almost 6 months now, and I originally started taking it for my acne. My acne has cleared up (not sure if that's the culprit or not), but I am still taking the Saw Palmetto berries. I have noticed a an increase in my breast size (a whole cup) and a slight weight gain in areas I didn't gain weight in before. I went through puberty a long time ago, so this is just odd. I have not changed anything in my eating or exercise routine either. I did quit the saw palmetto berries for a couple of weeks a while ago, but it made my hormones feel off and I did not feel good. So I'm back on them, but I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not...

Does anyone have suggestions or ideas on whether Saw Palmetto really is okay for women to take?

She was unstoppable. Not because she did not have failures or doubts, but because she continued on despite them. -Beau Taplin
Old 18-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Master
the increase is prb bc it lowers androgens, i would look up side effects and try replacing it with pumpkin seeds or drinking peppermint tea once a week instead
Old 19-04-2011, 04:46 AM
Guide
I have tried searching it quite a bit, and unless I'm missing something I didn't see anything that was significant on side affects. Although I am willing to take any advice, because I certainly don't want to be taking a supplement that could be harmful. I'm guessing the pumpkin seeds and peppermint tea will be an alternative in a way? Thanks

She was unstoppable. Not because she did not have failures or doubts, but because she continued on despite them. -Beau Taplin
Old 19-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Master
yes you might have elevated dht/androgens which cause acne, pumpkin seeds and peppermint tea (dont' take this more then three times a week) avacados flax seeds etc all lower androgens but they arne't as strong as saw palmetto i think
Old 19-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Guide
Dear TheReason,

From my personal experience, saw palmetto is used for men, and specially for prostate issues, including cancer as it significantly lowers/ supresses testosterone and by extention androgens.

Even though marketing campaigns promote its use in women, it should be taken with prudence.

It probably has caused some kind of hormone imbalance on you. Even saw palmetto comes from elements in the Nature, its effects can be as strong as of chemicals, and therefore it could cause a potential damage to your hormone system.

My suggestion for you is to avoid it, as keeping an hormone equilibrium is essential for your everyday life.

Love and Light,

TISS
Old 20-04-2011, 04:55 AM
Guide
Thank you! I'm glad I asked - I knew you guys would know better than google. I have stopped taking it and will try the peppermint tea, and seeds.

Old 20-04-2011, 05:03 AM
Master
Interesting thread.
Spiritlite