Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 30-06-2011, 02:08 PM
LightFilledHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia
I'm not really sure how to answer this as there is no "God given" in paganism as far as I am aware. Unlike the revealed religions that share similar characters and beliefs; paganism does not acknowledge anything in connection to the bible or christianity at all... it doesn't exist in our beliefs unless we choose to bring it in as a personal aspect.

I was taught, and personally believe that everyone has the ability to do these things, it's just that it comes easier to some than others. Just like some are better at playing music than maths. Everyone can learn to play an instrument it's just some have to work harder at it.

Beautifully said
Old 30-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Sungirl

*blush* Why thank you LFH
Old 30-06-2011, 10:36 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Magic seems to be common in most religions, symbolic or actual ?

Oh I see this exactly the same norseman, the magical, supernatural, mysterious, are all words that basically mean the same thing, but are practiced in different formats based on a person spiritual belief or religion.

tilla,

Quote:
I'm not really sure how to answer this as there is no "God given" in paganism as far as I am aware. Unlike the revealed religions that share similar characters and beliefs; paganism does not acknowledge anything in connection to the bible or christianity at all... it doesn't exist in our beliefs unless we choose to bring it in as a personal aspect.

I understand this point. I know there are many different gods,goddesses.deities and so on in paganism. I guess I mentioned the "Christian view" because it is where I saw a similarity within the Biblical scriptures that seemed very much like gifting and abilities within other beliefs but are just 'named differently'.

As for abilities I guess I have seen pretty much what you have described. I even see this within my own family. Personally, I think that all people have abilities and I think they are endowed in us by some higher source because that is just how I think ...and these abilities, at least in my family do seem to be within the bloodline.

nightowl
Old 01-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Sungirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
As for abilities I guess I have seen pretty much what you have described. I even see this within my own family. Personally, I think that all people have abilities and I think they are endowed in us by some higher source because that is just how I think ...and these abilities, at least in my family do seem to be within the bloodline.

nightowl

Hi Nightowl...

Something to ponder on this.... is it "nature" or "nurture" tho... I grew up thinking nothing of talking about the last nights dreams. My mum would just say at the breakfast table "Oh milkman came last night and left a pink banana" or my dad would say "we had an elephant in the living room last night"... it wasn't even explained that it was a dream, it was understood. I have very vivid dreams and I have since learnt that the more you talk about and acknowledge your dreams the more you will remember.

My mother is christian and doesn't like anything that relates to the supernatural, and my dad is a closet agnostic pretending to be atheist.... so there is no coersion from them, simply a lighthearted banter about dreams.

Only recently did I learn that these sorts of conversations are not "normal" at people's breakfast tables... and since leaving home I have pretty much stopped remembering my dreams.

So, are "abilities" in your bloodline, or is it that because they were accepted as "normal" yours were't stunted by parents that think the ramblings of a child are silly?

I could be waaaay off, but maybe something to ponder.....
Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Master
"Nature" gives a potential but "Nurture" gives the manifestation.
Another thing to consider is culture and heritage as part of Nurture.
You could argue that certain people have a predisposition to talents which then may or may not come to fruition depending on their upbringing and encouragement. Perceptions of reality can also bear on this question. If your Reality includes talents and abilities, and you act upon them, then the consequences of your action will firm-up your reality. This strengthens your Will and you take further actions which again leads to consequences which .... and so on. So, you begin with subjective belief and end up with an objective fact, and the driving force is WILL ! In essence, you have created a Cause and Effect cycle.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:24 AM
georgeTmaxwell

Hi all,
Stumbled across this thread and found it interesting although I don't exactly understand what being Pagan, Wiccan or a Witch is about. I do see many similarities but maybe some things don't fit for me.

Eg I am greenish, appeal with nature and feel it is part of us, I like old beliefs and would say I am an animist. But, I don't believe in a God as a controlling entity, just that the universe is the sum or all thought, knowledge and experience and is personified - male and female?

So what is the purpose/goal/desire of being a witch?

Do you need to believe in a mother of father God?

What is the magic and what do you do with it?

I think tv and movies show a "commercial" witch but I am sure reality is different, or is it?

Regards
@georgeTmaxwell
Old 01-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Master
"I think tv and movies show a "commercial" witch but I am sure reality is different, or is it?"

Very much so, George.
Pagan is a catch-all word used to describe anyone following a non-Abrahamic faith. So, it includes wicca and witch.
Wicca - a religion "invented" by Gerald Gardner in the 1950's. Originally, a coven-based, initiatory faith. It had a core of Old Craft with overlays from just about every esoteric order under the sun ! Rosicrucians, Druid orders, etc. These were the source of much of the rituals. More popular in the US than in the UK where it originated. The norm in the UK is now solitary and self-declared. Wicca soon splintered into various varieties.
Witches - practitioners of the Craft [magic users]. Here it becomes a bit vaguer. All Gardnerian Wiccans are witches but not all witches are wiccans.
Deities - rule of thumb, most witches/wiccans follow a goddess faith as do many pagans in general.
By and large, the common thread running through the pagan creeds are "Green" philosophies and life styles.
Magic - deep water here George. MY version is that magic is the control and channeling of natural Earth energies by the Will of the practitioner, and that magic is of this world and not supernatural. Others disagree.

Having done my best to sow confusion , I suggest you sample the various post lines under the Wiccan thread. Have fun !

Last edited by norseman : 01-07-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:26 PM
scorpiowitch66

If I may, a very good book to read is "Drawing Down the Moon". It is a history of paganism, more recent history I should say...and unfortunately it mostly focuses on the US, but would be a good reference if one is interested.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 PM
mattie

Witches/Energy Worker/Priestess

Quote:
I am interested in what a witch really is.

In different times a ‘witch’ might be called an energy worker, energy physician, or priestess.

Quote:
Do you believe the abilities that a witch has is learned, inherited or both?

Mostly learned. If one was an energy worker in a former life working w/ energies may come very easily to them. This is not exactly the same as being inherited from our earthly parents descendants. When psychic abilities are inherited from earthly parents it may be that it is because we grow up w/ this being seen as accessible, therefore we don’t have the ‘I Can’t’ as a self imposed limitation. We easily see this same ability in our self. There could also be a purely genetic DNA component to this as well.

Quote:
Do you believe these abilities come from a higher source or a source outside yourself?

This seems to have a ‘higher source’ being separate from self. It’s not an either or situation. We have our own built in conduit of HS to the higher energies. These abilities come from a higher source ➜➜➜ of which we are an integral part ↵↵↵ by way of our current perspective of the individual self.

Quote:
Are there signs a person exhibits that could indicate that they may be a witch?

As one expands their awareness they have what is called their psychic abilities naturally unfold. This can include understanding more about energies & working w/ it.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Master
I am interested to see where this thread goes as I have wondered about this myself. Anything to do with witchcraft seems to be shrouded in superstition and fear from people I have talked to they did not know a great deal. I might ask a few questions.

spells whats it all about? naturally...It would have to be the first question. Does it come from higher source or you?