Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 04-05-2019, 07:55 PM
Suspended
I didn't know this about Ghandi, is it true??

Gandhi's Support of Apartheid
Indeed the practice of untouchability continues today with all its horrors, especially in Aryan Vaishnavite areas [ Pract ].
The great Gandhi, for all the propaganda surrounding his name, did not abolish untouchability.
Ambedkar, the 'Father of the Indian Constitution' and greatest leader of the Black Untouchables (Dalits and Adivasis), has written about Gandhi's policy of subjugating the Untouchables,

" Hinduism is a veritable chamber of horrors.
The sanctity and infallibility of the Vedas, Smritis and Shastras, the iron law of caste, the heartless law of karma and the senseless law of status by birth are to the Untouchables veritable instruments of torture which Hinduism has forged against untouchables.
These very instruments which have mutilated; blasted and blighted the lives of the Untouchables are to be found intact and untarnished in the bosom of Gandhism."

Gandhi was a staunch follower of the Brahminist caste system

The greatest crime committed by Gandhi against the Black Race was to deny the Black Untouchables of India separate electorates and sabotaging the plan to emancipate Untouchables.

He indeed considered the Negroid Dalit to be of an inferior race. Writing about their supposedly lower level of intelligence.

Gandhi also never supported the Black Africans during his stay in Africa. He only stood for the Aryan 'Hindus'.

BTW We have a statue of Gandhi in the city and every year it is honored with flowers.
It is not my intention to offend anybody, please correct if it's not true.
Old 15-05-2019, 05:09 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taking a Break
I found this very thoughtful article about the issue:

Gandhi and the Dalit controversy: The limits of the moral force of an individual
https://wagingnonviolence.org/2012/0...an-individual/

From the article:
When I first heard that Gandhi was viewed as “the enemy” by many Dalits in India (formerly called “untouchables”), I was dumbfounded. How and why could Gandhi be seen as having betrayed the Dalits when he opposed untouchability even in the face of active discomfort on the part of close associates?

Last month, while I was in India teaching Nonviolent Communication to 120 people, including a significant number of Dalits, I had the opportunity to explore this question further. During a session called “Gandhian Principles for Everyday Living,” a topic about which I have written at length, one of the 60 people present expressed anguish, pain and anger towards Gandhi. He was a Buddhist, like many other Dalits who had chosen to follow the Dalit leader Dr. B. R. Ambedkar in leaving behind centuries of mistreatment under Hinduism.

I dedicated much of the two-hour session to hearing and understanding his experience. I learned more about the power of deep empathic reflection than about the issue itself. With the presence and active attention of an entire group, he experienced a profound shift in his perception. In the end he said: “Perhaps it’s personal pain from my childhood and all the experiences I had that I just attached to Gandhi.” He didn’t actually know the details of what Gandhi was held accountable for. Nor did I.
It goes on from there and gives a good background.
Old 15-05-2019, 06:18 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taking a Break

Gandhi's Support of Apartheid
Indeed the practice of untouchability continues today with all its horrors, especially in Aryan Vaishnavite areas [ Pract ].
The great Gandhi, for all the propaganda surrounding his name, did not abolish untouchability.
Ambedkar, the 'Father of the Indian Constitution' and greatest leader of the Black Untouchables (Dalits and Adivasis), has written about Gandhi's policy of subjugating the Untouchables,

" Hinduism is a veritable chamber of horrors.
The sanctity and infallibility of the Vedas, Smritis and Shastras, the iron law of caste, the heartless law of karma and the senseless law of status by birth are to the Untouchables veritable instruments of torture which Hinduism has forged against untouchables.
These very instruments which have mutilated; blasted and blighted the lives of the Untouchables are to be found intact and untarnished in the bosom of Gandhism."

Gandhi was a staunch follower of the Brahminist caste system

The greatest crime committed by Gandhi against the Black Race was to deny the Black Untouchables of India separate electorates and sabotaging the plan to emancipate Untouchables.

He indeed considered the Negroid Dalit to be of an inferior race. Writing about their supposedly lower level of intelligence.

Gandhi also never supported the Black Africans during his stay in Africa. He only stood for the Aryan 'Hindus'.

BTW We have a statue of Gandhi in the city and every year it is honored with flowers.
It is not my intention to offend anybody, please correct if it's not true.

Anybody who knows some basic facts about Indian society and history can easily debunk this.

First of all, the racial issue. There are no Negroids in India. The dark-skinned people that do exist there in large numbers are Australoids. The caste-system is not race-based, Dark-skinned Tamils can be Brahmins or Dalits just as fair-skinned Kashmiris. It is not a race-based system.

Gandhi was very much against the caste system and worked hard to abolish it, that is a fact.

That being said, he was a product of his time and upbringing. There was a racial hierarchy in the British Empire which he perhaps unconsciously absorbed. It went something like this: Europeans / Arabs / Indians / Malays and other dark-skinned asians / Chinese / mixed-race Africans / Black Africans

Gandhi did not challenge the implicit racial hierarchy of the British Empire, that much is true, but he had plenty on his plate already and given the time period he lived in, I think we can give him a pass on this.

That being said, his naivete regarding the evil people could be capable of was often quite baffling. This is particularly true of his views on Hitler. He simply refused to believe the evil him and the Nazis were capable of, until it was too late.