Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 24-01-2019, 06:12 PM
Master
Lightbulb The ethical impact of eating Eggs?

I want to talk about eggs with fellow vegetarians and everyone else interested! This is not about meat eating so please stay on topic.

I want to discuss the ethical side to eating eggs (unfertilized) since, over the years, I’ve gone back and forth between lacto-ovo and lacto vegetarianism.

Some people say egg eating is unethical because it causes stress to the hens. I grew up and we had chickens and did not observe this. The hens got old. The chickens don’t get killed, are fed and have a safe barn where no foxes can enter so what would be the problem? It seems an okay trade off.

Then other people say, often those from Indian culture, that eggs are the “property” of the chicken and we must not interfere. Excuse me but why then do you give the free pass to milking cows? Both cows AND chickens have been bred and selected over the millennia to produce an abundance of milk/eggs.

What is your take on this, and why?
Have you tried different veg diets with and without eggs?
Old 24-01-2019, 10:59 PM
Master
If you take care of any life form yourself you learn more directly, it’s nature, it’s needs, how it fits into your view, then you can decide for you, how to work together. You once had chickens and observed first hand how a happy little eco system supports all life to live more contented in it’s needs. So look at the hen in this way, look at yourself in your needs and decide for you.

I eat eggs. I’m very concerned and consider where they come from, how the hens are treated and have their natural needs met. I don’t have my own yet, but that’s the goal when I can create a more harmonious eco system overall. Until that time I don’t know if I will stop eating eggs. If I observe the chickens this closely, I might.
Old 24-01-2019, 11:43 PM
Master

Hens will lay eggs regardless of whether or not they are being kept in the company of a rooster. The hen's body is naturally intended to produce an egg once every 24 to 27 hours, and it will form the egg regardless of whether the egg is actively fertilized during its formation. A hen's egg will be edible regardless of whether it has been fertilized.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:30 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Hens will lay eggs regardless of whether or not they are being kept in the company of a rooster. The hen's body is naturally intended to produce an egg once every 24 to 27 hours, and it will form the egg regardless of whether the egg is actively fertilized during its formation. A hen's egg will be edible regardless of whether it has been fertilized.

Chickens have been 'manipulated' to produce an egg every 24 hours. Which other species of bird ovulates every day? Chickens as we know them today are not a natural species.
We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge (1860-1954)
Old 25-01-2019, 01:12 AM
Master
For me it is very simple, for the last 20+ years I am guided by my HS what to eat and what not to eat, any animal products are out, as well any animal husbandry would not be acceptable for me as well as keeping pets.
What anyone else does is up to them. I would not tell anyone what to eat and what not to, or how to engage with animals. This is between them and the animal.
Old 25-01-2019, 05:18 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
I want to talk about eggs with fellow vegetarians and everyone else interested! This is not about meat eating so please stay on topic.

I want to discuss the ethical side to eating eggs (unfertilized) since, over the years, I’ve gone back and forth between lacto-ovo and lacto vegetarianism.

Some people say egg eating is unethical because it causes stress to the hens. I grew up and we had chickens and did not observe this. The hens got old. The chickens don’t get killed, are fed and have a safe barn where no foxes can enter so what would be the problem? It seems an okay trade off.

Then other people say, often those from Indian culture, that eggs are the “property” of the chicken and we must not interfere. Excuse me but why then do you give the free pass to milking cows? Both cows AND chickens have been bred and selected over the millennia to produce an abundance of milk/eggs.

What is your take on this, and why?
Have you tried different veg diets with and without eggs?

On the 'Indian culture(s)' thing. When I trained in Buddhist meditation the diet was vegetarian. Eating eggs was forbidden because they considered an egg to be an animal. They were pretty big on dairy - lots of yogurt!
Old 25-01-2019, 10:09 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
On the 'Indian culture(s)' thing. When I trained in Buddhist meditation the diet was vegetarian. Eating eggs was forbidden because they considered an egg to be an animal. They were pretty big on dairy - lots of yogurt!
Didn't you tell them an egg can be unfertilized? You must have tried..!
Old 25-01-2019, 10:16 AM
Master
Quote:

We had one person we could ask for basic things like soap and whatnot if we needed, and a teacher we could ask about meditation practice, but other than that, speaking was forbidden.
Old 27-01-2019, 12:28 PM
Master
Bunny

Quote:
Even if the egg is unfertilized it is still fleshy and distasteful to me
Old 18-09-2019, 05:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I use to live in a city in which almost everybody was Buddhist.
What amazed me was the motorcycles which would deliver a huge number of eggs (I would say at least 100 dozen eggs) on the back of their motorcycles. My Mother-in-law is a vegetarian and a follower of Kwan Yin. As a 'vegetarian' she is allowed to eat chicken and fish. Figure it out, I never could.
My wife and daughter are Buddhist. When I buy eggs for them, I generally
buy 4-6 dozen. My wife goes thru them so fast that she doesn't ever put them in the refrigerator.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜