Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 05-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Knower
If you want to consider the relationship between our minds and our brains, there are many literary works that address it.

I was fascinated by Amit Goswami's book, "The Self Aware Universe", in which he explains to my satisfaction, consciousness is a quantum event that must "collapse" to produce a thought. It applies the theory that there is a higher consciousness which is non-local, and the lower consciousness which "attaches" to our egoic awareness.

I've read further works (online) specifically; "Conscious Events as Orchestrated Space-Time Selections", by Stewart Hameroff & Roger Penrose that addresses (theoretically) how the actual quantum events (wave forms) of consciousness are captured in our neurons by microtubules and routed through our biology to ultimately construct thoughts.

These two works allow me to "bridge the gap" between physical and metaphysical functions of consciousness.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:01 AM
Raven Poet

Whose book was I reading recently - by a person trained in medical science - who calls the human brain a "wet computer" and asserts that consciousness is not a result of the programs wired in the wet computer. Because that's all the brain is - organic matter that operates programs and pathways to interpret and store incoming information.

Maybe it's from an older book called "Develop Your Psychic Awareness" and bases most of its writing on the teachings of Edgar Cayce.

The writer states that consciousness comes from something outside or beyond the brain.

So the question is: WHERE? (And we all have our own responses to this!)
Old 06-11-2015, 10:03 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal68
This would be a hammer blow for survival hopes, would it not??

I kind of dread this happening somehow. How then could a mind generated by a living brain, continue existence without one??

you've got the brain creating consciousness? and science proving it? i don't get it.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:54 PM
Knower
Quote:
The writer states that consciousness comes from something outside or beyond the brain.

I wouldn't say that consciousness "comes from outside" of the brain, because everything in reality is immersed "within" the energy field of consciousness (Mind); the brain is merely the tool through which things are interpreted (as reality) in this field of energy.

When I speak of a higher or lower field of consciousness, I mean it in the sense that the larger consciousness is the source of all things that make sense in an infinite range of possibility, whereas the lower consciousness is the activity of organizing and interpreting that we, as single brain mental creatures, carry out in any given moment.

The larger consciousness is said to exist outside of time and space - and this is why it cannot actually be measured. And this is not such an unusual circumstance, if you consider what quantum science knows about wave-particle duality, non-localized behavior, quantum jumping, and entanglement. On the other hand, our brains have a unique ability to translate this external energy into meaningful phenomenon by being temporally oriented. From the brain's "anchor-point" within mind - a.k.a.: "consciousness", we are able to take something existent in the "eternal now," and through the linearity of mental processes, formulate our very personal and significant conceptualization of reality.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:04 PM
Ascender

One of the biggest arguments used against consciousness being separate from the brain is the anaesthesia one; when we get knocked out for an operation we don't travel anywhere else. We are gone for all purposes aren't we?? If we were never woken we would simply stay unconscious wouldn't we? We wouldn't exist elsewhere - that's what worries me about death, why should it be different??
Old 09-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Pathfinder

The brain is like the steering wheel in a car. You control the car until you get a new car with a new steering wheel. Just like we get a new brain every time we get a new body.
We are not our bodies, we are spirit that uses bodies to experience 'lives' in the material.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
One of the biggest arguments used against consciousness being separate from the brain is the anaesthesia one; when we get knocked out for an operation we don't travel anywhere else. We are gone for all purposes aren't we?? If we were never woken we would simply stay unconscious wouldn't we? We wouldn't exist elsewhere - that's what worries me about death, why should it be different??
Try this analogy; The body is the lamp, consciousness is the electrical current and the rotary dimmer switch is the anesthesia.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Ascender

Then the off switch might be death??

Shouldn't we all be having an OBE whenever we are under the knife so to speak if we are separate? What happens to someone in a coma for example? I don't think anyone has come out of a ten year coma and reported a spirit realm? Is death really something separate?
Old 09-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Then the off switch might be death??

Shouldn't we all be having an OBE whenever we are under the knife so to speak if we are separate? What happens to someone in a coma for example? I don't think anyone has come out of a ten year coma and reported a spirit realm? Is death really something separate?
I suppose an off switch would be like death, gunshot to the head for example. But in those cases spirit bails and the body fails. But it brings up another aspect of consciousness that I rarely hear being discussed. That is the part of consciousness that maintains the form of the body "unconsciously".
Old 09-11-2015, 09:34 PM
Ascender

Im intrigued, please explain

Are you meaning the astral body??