Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 02-05-2018, 02:20 PM
Master
A whack thread about things

I put this forward as a kind of thought experiment - of a most unusual kind. An experiment in pure logic, but also bamboozling; a thing of impeccable order, yet inexplicable. For it questions, "what is a 'thing'?" And the answer to that, dearies, lies at the bottom of a very deep rabbit hole.

How far you want to go?

This is the thought experiment:

Imagine there is a thing but you you don't know what it is. It could literally be anything! (but it doesn't have to be).

You have no idea, so come closer to that feeling of 'unknowingness', see what unknowingness is like, its empty possibility... how is that unknowing seen to be...

That's the 'thing'.

What is it?
Old 03-05-2018, 01:04 PM
Master
You've got to be strange to be a philosopher, think about strange things, and even though thinking isn't a popular spiritual pastime, what is life as we experience it but a thought perception?

That world of all objects is fascinating, an' all, but space encompasses all of it, both subjectively in mind, and the perceivable universe. Only things move. Real things, imaginary things: always moving ever changing; leaving space unaffected.

One thing, being relative, affects another, and all things are equally relative in space, but not to it.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Master
Something happens, (I mean everything, or anything). Only the story I can tell, which could be a true story or one make up. Tell of something true, which might be knowledge or it might be wisdom; the former learned while the latter is cultivated. There is a place for pure fiction, a place for true prepositions, and wisdom to walk the talk.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:41 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I put this forward as a kind of thought experiment - of a most unusual kind. An experiment in pure logic, but also bamboozling; a thing of impeccable order, yet inexplicable. For it questions, "what is a 'thing'?" And the answer to that, dearies, lies at the bottom of a very deep rabbit hole.

How far you want to go?

This is the thought experiment:

Imagine there is a thing but you you don't know what it is. It could literally be anything! (but it doesn't have to be).

You have no idea, so come closer to that feeling of 'unknowingness', see what unknowingness is like, its empty possibility... how is that unknowing seen to be...

That's the 'thing'.

What is it?

You said imagine anything so here it goes. Say I meet someone for the first time. They may or may not give me much information about themselves or the interaction may be so brief that I know nothing at all about them. Immediately my mind starts to fill in my owns perceptions of that person, more than likely skewed or inaccurately, but my thought processes go right ahead filling in supposed information about that person so that I can surmise whether or not they jive with me or turn me off.

Perhaps I'll never see that person again in my life, in which case none of the assumed characteristics about them are ever verified for me. But in a second scenario, say I see this person again and as I truly stop filling in information about them, but rather let them be who they are and tell me who they are through the multitude of ways a person can teach another about him or herself, I learn more. More than likely the more I learn the more it may contradict my initial assessment of that individual.

Reminds me of the saying "He/She's an open book." That may be true, but one has to read that book fully and even then so do we ever really truly know someone? After all as life progresses a person is constantly writing new chapters to their life book.

Well not sure if what I said above has anything to do with anything, but it's something.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:11 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
You said imagine anything so here it goes. Say I meet someone for the first time. They may or may not give me much information about themselves or the interaction may be so brief that I know nothing at all about them. Immediately my mind starts to fill in my owns perceptions of that person, more than likely skewed or inaccurately, but my thought processes go right ahead filling in supposed information about that person so that I can surmise whether or not they jive with me or turn me off.

Perhaps I'll never see that person again in my life, in which case none of the assumed characteristics about them are ever verified for me. But in a second scenario, say I see this person again and as I truly stop filling in information about them, but rather let them be who they are and tell me who they are through the multitude of ways a person can teach another about him or herself, I learn more. More than likely the more I learn the more it may contradict my initial assessment of that individual.

Reminds me of the saying "He/She's an open book." That may be true, but one has to read that book fully and even then so do we ever really truly know someone? After all as life progresses a person is constantly writing new chapters to their life book.

Well not sure if what I said above has anything to do with anything, but it's something.

To be understanding of 'it could be anything' leaves us to start in an empty place that is charged with possibility, and really, that's how it comes about. Like you fall into deep sleep where its nothing for a while, then re-emerge into daily living.

All this I say also came from nowhere. It didn't exist 15 minutes ago, but mysteriously, it appeared as it is presented here. It will pass and be gone but for this digital preservation.

It's interesting getting to know someone. I have shared life with another for years together, but still learned something new about them everyday. Its as though they are continually unfolding, almost as if all they are is already contained and ever-further revealing itself.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:07 AM
Master
A thing is defined by that which it is not that makes it so.

Time is relative to the perception of it, and yet the farmer still digs up the seeds to see if they have sprouted yet...

Farmer: "It says on the packet, these seeds should have sprouted by now...it says "two weeks" and it has been a month already... what gives?"

Seeds: "A month? Bulldust! it has only been one day since you planted us...and the instructions are based on "seed time" and not "farmer time".

Farmer: "So, what is the difference between "seed time" and "farmer time" then?

Seeds: "We are much closer to the event horizon of a worm hole than you are".
Old 13-05-2018, 03:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
A thing is defined by that which it is not that makes it so.

Yes. It's geometry's basic principle that one thing is defines in relation to another thing, which means there is actually no such thing as one thing.

Quote:
Time is relative to the perception of it, and yet the farmer still digs up the seeds to see if they have sprouted yet...

So, subjective?

Quote:
Farmer: "It says on the packet, these seeds should have sprouted by now...it says "two weeks" and it has been a month already... what gives?"

Seeds: "A month? Bulldust! it has only been one day since you planted us...and the instructions are based on "seed time" and not "farmer time".

Farmer: "So, what is the difference between "seed time" and "farmer time" then?

Seeds: "We are much closer to the event horizon of a worm hole than you are".

But you can count days and nights to measure time. It might 'feel like' it's going fast of slow to different individuals, but they both count the same number of sunsets.
Old 15-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Seeker

I don't know anything. My bell tower climbing days of uni lateralism make it seem like i can't see anything
Old 15-05-2018, 12:12 PM
Master
I was just listening to some Alan Watts...doing some light listening...when I heard a double limerick which blew me away...and not much does these days..

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...6&postcount=86
Old 10-06-2018, 01:28 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
You just described the universe.