Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 23-07-2018, 04:01 PM
Newbie ;)

Fish Help to improve guided meditations :)

Hi there.
at my work, i normally help people to create body awareness through exercises, but lately ive began to use more and more guided meditations, both body scans and Progressiv muscle relaxations.

I have heard loads of guided meditations and read what i could find on the subject, but i still feel like i could improve a whole lot. I do both solo guiding, and in groups for up to 15 people. Which takes all from 10-25 min.

I know that there is few things in the guided meditations which i cannot change, for example my voice and accent. But beside that.
I was wondering if you guys had any tips, on what would be important for you doing a guided mediation scan?(Body scan)
And also if you have practice making these, it would be interesting to hear if you have any tips for it.

I have actually made a video on a youtube channel, and was wondering if anyone would have some time to make some comments on it, if they see anything that they would want me to change, like for example the breaks are to small, or w/e. (the video is meant for beginners, since my groups are aswell)
My idea with the video, is actually to make some guided meditations and knowlegde videos for my patients to use on their own, if they find these usefull.

>>> If this post dont belong in the forum, im deeply sorry and will ofcause remove it ! <<<
Old 28-07-2018, 07:07 AM
Seeker

Well, just a few comments that spring to mind. I've listened to various guided meditations and I usually have the same issues with them as I have with yours.
First there's a bit too much talking. Too many examples of possible sensations. Mentioning what kinds of distractions or irritations are normal at various points.
Little time to actually observe, only at the end you offer the listener 30 seconds of silence to actually come to rest and focus. I would consider this the minimum for every step on the way.
Especially with beginners, everytime you stop taking they would need a couple of breaths to quiet their mind and get their focus back onto their body.
So what I would suggest is maybe a longer introduction. Making clear that one should observe his body and focus on every possible sensation. Not to judge anything one feels or doesn't feel. Not to worry when the minds slips away occasionly etc.
Then when you actually start the observing part, make very short introductions for each step, just mentioning what area one should focus on without repeating what to look for and give people 30 seconds to focus and feel. At the middle you may remind people of some of the basic rules you mentioned at the beginning.
It might feel awkward for you to talk so little and pause for so long, but the recipient is not there to listen, but to experience. You need to give him time to do so.
Just my 2ct.
Old 28-07-2018, 09:56 PM
Newbie ;)

Thumbs up

Hello Marcel!

Im really really hapy that you reply, so thanks alot for that!

I think there is some really solid points in there! - The example with the sensations and mentioning of it, might be right! and maybe i could just have it in the start and then no where else.

Also i do like you telling that the breaks for thinkin is way to short! ill def. try to be more patient.
In my practice ive had alot of patients with anxiety and they often have a hard time with silence and long breaks, but then again. This is meant for all groups so def. worth adding :)! Maybe not fully 30 seconds for each part, but more than i use now.

Once again thanks alot! ill try to put a video up taking notes of your suggestions :) hopefully making it better!
Cheers!
Old 29-07-2018, 11:54 PM
Master
I used to do guided meditations when I worked in the counseling profession, and over time my use of guided meditations evolved. I would write a guided meditation script for a patient/client whom I would be seeing in an upcoming one-to-one session, having previously gotten to know that patient and what their issues were; I would incorporate those issues into the guided meditation script.

If I thought the patient was capable, I would have them read the guided meditation script that I had written, and record them reading it on a tape; old fashion cassette tape. First I would put the patient through some relaxation techniques, playing relaxing music before they saw the script, and while they read the script. Because I wanted them to be relaxed while I was recording them reading the script, and also soft music in the background would be on the tape as they read the script.

I would then give them the tape to take home, of course I’d charge for the tape and me writing the script. An I would tell the patient to listen to the tape at least once daily. This way the script that is on tape becomes as an affirmation. In subsequent sessions I would get feedback from the patient on how the tape is working for them and get an idea of how they have changed, or what further needed to change.

Your subconscious will respond more readily to your own voice, your suggestions, more so than it will to the voice of someone else. An the patient having a guided imagery script in their own voice, that specifically fits their issues, has great therapeutic value. You can also have the patient read the script in your office while it is being recorded on the patient’s cell-phone. I am now retired but I did got lots of positive feedback from patients when using this method.
Old 30-07-2018, 02:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
I used to do guided meditations when I worked in the counseling profession, and over time my use of guided meditations evolved. I would write a guided meditation script for a patient/client whom I would be seeing in an upcoming one-to-one session, having previously gotten to know that patient and what their issues were; I would incorporate those issues into the guided meditation script.

If I thought the patient was capable, I would have them read the guided meditation script that I had written, and record them reading it on a tape; old fashion cassette tape. First I would put the patient through some relaxation techniques, playing relaxing music before they saw the script, and while they read the script. Because I wanted them to be relaxed while I was recording them reading the script, and also soft music in the background would be on the tape as they read the script.

I would then give them the tape to take home, of course I’d charge for the tape and me writing the script. An I would tell the patient to listen to the tape at least once daily. This way the script that is on tape becomes as an affirmation. In subsequent sessions I would get feedback from the patient on how the tape is working for them and get an idea of how they have changed, or what further needed to change.

Your subconscious will respond more readily to your own voice, your suggestions, more so than it will to the voice of someone else. An the patient having a guided imagery script in their own voice, that specifically fits their issues, has great therapeutic value. You can also have the patient read the script in your office while it is being recorded on the patient’s cell-phone. I am now retired but I did got lots of positive feedback from patients when using this method.
Dear Starman,

A while ago, I was thinking about making my own personal guided meditation using my own voice, as there are certain aspects of the meditation which would only be relevant to myself and nobody else...and I was also aware that my subconscious mind would go for it...but getting the whole idea past my consciousness mind, with regards to me 'talking to myself' was too much of a hurdle to overcome. Any advice there?
Old 30-07-2018, 05:46 AM
Master
First write out the script, whatever it is you want to record, make corrections and see how it sounds by reading it aloud days before you record it. Do not read it in your mind as reading it aloud is good practice and will get you ready to read it aloud when you are ready to record it.

You may want to put some music in the background on low enough that it can be heard but will not interfere with your reading. Music has a rhythm and so does our subconscious and our memory. The reading should come through clear in the foreground. Do not over-think or be overly-judgmental about what you have written; write down a counter to whatever issues you want to amend.

Guided meditation is like an affirmation, so it helps if we place a modicum of belief in what we write into a guided imagery script. Understanding that whatever we tell ourselves on a daily basis, be it aloud or just in thought, we are for better or worst affirming to ourselves. What we frequently say, and think, regardless whether it is negative or positive, we are ingraining into our own consciousness.

The day you read the script into a recorder, meditate on silence, or just do some relaxation exercises, take a relaxing bath, etc. The thing is to prepare your attitude in such a way that the voice, tone, etc., that you use when recording the script is such that you won't mind listening to that recording over and over again. If your voice is scratchy or you seem tired that is not a recording that you will be motivated to listen to. But if you are in a good mood when you record the script that will go a long ways towards you wanting to actually listen to that recording repeatedly.

There are many ways, besides relaxation techniques, to instill a conducive attitude. The right attitude will help you get over any self-conscious hurdles you may have. Our attitude works hand in hand with our ability to reason, be that reasoning faulty or not. Our attitude is directly tied to how we see what we see. In Hindu occultism, it is referred to as the “agni-tattva,” said to be the subtle principle of sight. Attitude is how individuals organize things in their world.

Attitude is very important when approaching any type of therapeutic work or healing. It is definitely important when you are attempting to amend subconscious patterns. Concentrating on your avatar is a good way to acquire the appropriate attitude. Because you are trying to interact with various aspects of your own consciousness. Being well rested can also help develop a conducive attitude. A happy box may also help, so you may ask what a “happy box” is? It is a small cardboard box containing memories of happy times, i.e. pictures of loved ones, an award for having achieved something, a medallion that has pleasant memories for you, pleasant things, memories, ec., from your past.

The saying is “if you change your attitude you can change your world.” and believe me I have had to do a lot of work on my own attitude, and I am still working on it. Attitude is self-conscious; self-conscious and subconscious work together. Although self-conscious is inductive and subconscious is deductive. Subconscious is amendable to suggestions from self-conscious, it does not judge, it just carries out the suggestions in some fashion relative to a deductive process.

So I don’t know if I’ve been helpful with my long-winded response to your inquiry, but just keep in mind, everything is a journey and you most likely will not be able to turn things around right away. But if you are diligent, over time you can replace an unwanted pattern with a more desirable pattern. Be conscious of your thoughts and how they may affect your attitude. But most of all believe in your self, most people have created hurdles in their life that they struggle with, including myself.
Old 30-07-2018, 05:57 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
First write out the script, whatever it is you want to record, make corrections and see how it sounds by reading it aloud days before you record it. Do not read it in your mind as reading it aloud is good practice and will get you ready to read it aloud when you are ready to record it.

You may want to put some music in the background on low enough that it can be heard but will not interfere with your reading. Music has a rhythm and so does our subconscious and our memory. The reading should come through clear in the foreground. Do not over-think or be overly-judgmental about what you have written; write down a counter to whatever issues you want to amend.

Guided meditation is like an affirmation, so it helps if we place a modicum of belief in what we write into a guided imagery script. Understanding that whatever we tell ourselves on a daily basis, be it aloud or just in thought, we are for better or worst affirming to ourselves. What we frequently say, and think, regardless whether it is negative or positive, we are ingraining into our own consciousness.

The day you read the script into a recorder, meditate on silence, or just do some relaxation exercises, take a relaxing bath, etc. The thing is to prepare your attitude in such a way that the voice, tone, etc., that you use when recording the script is such that you won't mind listening to that recording over and over again. If your voice is scratchy or you seem tired that is not a recording that you will be motivated to listen to. But if you are in a good mood when you record the script that will go a long ways towards you wanting to actually listen to that recording repeatedly.

There are many ways, besides relaxation techniques, to instill a conducive attitude. The right attitude will help you get over any self-conscious hurdles you may have. Our attitude works hand in hand with our ability to reason, be that reasoning faulty or not. Our attitude is directly tied to how we see what we see. In Hindu occultism, it is referred to as the “agni-tattva,” said to be the subtle principle of sight. Attitude is how individuals organize things in their world.

Attitude is very important when approaching any type of therapeutic work or healing. It is definitely important when you are attempting to amend subconscious patterns. Concentrating on your avatar is a good way to acquire the appropriate attitude. Because you are trying to interact with various aspects of your own consciousness. Being well rested can also help develop a conducive attitude. A happy box may also help, so you may ask what a “happy box” is? It is a small cardboard box containing memories of happy times, i.e. pictures of loved ones, an award for having achieved something, a medallion that has pleasant memories for you, pleasant things, memories, ec., from your past.

The saying is “if you change your attitude you can change your world.” and believe me I have had to do a lot of work on my own attitude, and I am still working on it. Attitude is self-conscious; self-conscious and subconscious work together. Although self-conscious is inductive and subconscious is deductive. Subconscious is amendable to suggestions from self-conscious, it does not judge, it just carries out the suggestions in some fashion relative to a deductive process.

So I don’t know if I’ve been helpful with my long-winded response to your inquiry, but just keep in mind, everything is a journey and you most likely will not be able to turn things around right away. But if you are diligent, over time you can replace an unwanted pattern with a more desirable pattern. Be conscious of your thoughts and how they may affect your attitude. But most of all believe in your self, most people have created hurdles in their life that they struggle with, including myself.
Thank you so much for that.

This has helped me immensely, especially since you went into the agni-tattva and the Sri Vidya....It has been quite a while since I meditated on those things and I am starting to lose touch with all of the Hindu occult stuff...and this is why I require a personalised guided meditation in the first place...but it has been there, staring me in the face all along...I just need that confidence and the attitude to live from within the position of 'knowing' and not continue to question it because I am not doing so.

Your help today has been invaluable and you really know how to reach me on a different level and that makes me very pleased.
Old 30-07-2018, 06:04 AM
Master
Guided Imagery (Transformation)

If you want you can take a few moments and allow your body to be free….to rest comfortably, and become aware of your mental location….tune into what ever you are thinking about….images or ideas that are passing through your mind. Although the content of your thoughts will change as you read this post…now look at your emotional location. How are you feeling?

Now become aware of your physical location in space, aware of the position of your body and the sensations….letting each thing that you have become aware of be a signal to let go….let go of any mental, emotional, or physical tension, and allow yourself to enjoy the experience of letting go.

Feel the air and little breezes that brush against the exposed portions of your skin; letting go for awhile and allowing yourself to be free to look within, and feel that let go…. relax from the top of your head to the tips of your toes. Gradually allowing yourself to let go of having to think or do anything at all. No right, no wrong, nothing you need or want to do, except to let go to that unique beautiful person which you call “your self.”

Now, tune into your breathing; one breath in….. and letting it out, and let it be a feeling of letting go. Enjoy the gradual slowing of your breathing; letting the air breath for you, and feel yourself as part of that letting go. And feeling the pause before you let go and the next breath breathes itself in, experience that pause. No need to understand the deeper levels of yourself as you are guided to your own special place of comfort and peace. Feel your breathing; the air coming in and then letting itself go before the next breath is allowed to enter. Each breath riding on a wave of peace with shorter and fewer thoughts, until you feel the comfort of slipping into the spaces between the thoughts.

Ripples flowing out, like ripples from and autumn leaf falling softly onto the surface of a quiet lake. Rainbow colors flowing into your forehead down through the muscles of your face; your lips, your tongue, a deep comfortable warmth flowing through your body. Your neck, down your shoulders, down to your wrists and hands, and finding its‘ way into each finger, as you breath in and feel the surge of the universe nurturing you.

And as you go deeper within; you allow all of your body to soften, soften as though you have been in a cocoon, a cocoon that you can leave when you are ready. You know that you no longer need to be constrained by the cocoon, or limiting thoughts that tie knots, and not seeking but finding the tension in your body melting by letting go. Let thoughts like twisted strands of thread which you have followed in the past unravel themselves; as it takes you deeper and deeper within. Like silken threads that circle and encircle the cocoon, can be forgotten. And you know that you will soon emerge from your cocoon transformed…..and you don’t know exactly what you will look like, but you know within that you are beautiful to all who can truly see beauty.

And all the colors of the spectrum, and all the sounds of the rainbow will radiate from you. Its’ almost time now….yet if you wish you can let it seem like and eternity, and let yourself enjoy the changes within, enjoying the journey of transformation brings freedom as you discover your wings. Being more of what you’ve always been…..deep within.

Soar in the sunlight, or in the moonlight; with colors dancing in a world of blue sky and white clouds. No longer crawling….no longer wrapped in a cocoon of tension. Floating from flower to flower; drinking nectar with every breath, and enjoying your being. Each time you touch within you know a little more, bathing in the radiant knowledge that plays on the cords of your heart. Affirming a boundless presence that shines forth from within.
Old 30-07-2018, 06:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Thank you so much for that.

This has helped me immensely, especially since you went into the agni-tattva and the Sri Vidya....It has been quite a while since I meditated on those things and I am starting to lose touch with all of the Hindu occult stuff...and this is why I require a personalised guided meditation in the first place...but it has been there, staring me in the face all along...I just need that confidence and the attitude to live from within the position of 'knowing' and not continue to question it because I am not doing so.

Your help today has been invaluable and you really know how to reach me on a different level and that makes me very pleased.

It is my experience that usually what we are lookig for is often right in front of our face.
Thank you for allowing me to serve.