Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Welcome to Spiritual Forums > News & Announcements > Old News

View Poll Results: Should Moderators have the power to post PMs?
Yes! It is in the interests of forum moderation! 3 20.00%
No! It is an invasion of privacy! 11 73.33%
Don't know! It is a difficult question! 1 6.67%
Don't Care! 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 29-10-2006, 04:24 PM
kundalini

That is an interesting point Disa. The reason why this discussion is being raised on the open forum is a way of demonstrating that the 'power is given to the people'. It would be easy for the moderators to reach a decision and leave it at that. This way everybody gets the chance to voice their views and have a say in the decision.

Kundalini.
Old 29-10-2006, 08:48 PM
lumas

there is no reason why an overview of a dispute or description of bad comments left in a pm shouldnt be published to the forum (afterall no one should have to endure personal attacks on this forum) but ultimitly a private messages should stay as that a private message otherwise whats the point to them you might as well turn it into another thread for people to leave comments to...

Last edited by lumas : 29-10-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 29-10-2006, 10:00 PM
kundalini

Good point Lumas.

Kundalini.
Old 29-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Deactivated Account
hmmm i've refrained from commenting so far on this matter, but now i feel i should, abusive pms to anyone should not be tolerated i think a very generous three strikes and you're out policy should be put in place, it should also be made clear that the moderators and/or site admins decision is final. and if moderators cannot not agree on a course of action(highly unlikely) the admin should be approached to make the final decision.
nuisance pm's perhaps shouldn't be posted but that said they shouldn't have been sent in the first place either, air you views by all means but respectfully i also think there should be a 'sticky' thread up for complaints so members may air these in a dignified manner. i will install this new thread myself as soon as i have the nod from my fellow mod
Old 29-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Deactivated Account
by the way on some sites pm's can be disabled i don't know if that is an option here or not but this is another alternative to this problem but i feel it just sweeps it under the carpet rather than dealing with it properly
Old 29-10-2006, 10:47 PM
tiltjlp

I don't think moderation by committee is ever a good idea, and seldom results in the best decisions being made. The whole idea behind having moderators is so that they maintain peace, and take disciplinary actions. A standard of conduct/forum rules should be posted, after being drawn up by the site owner and the moderators, and that should be followed.

Many forums will have several stages of discipline, with 1 week Read/Only for the first offense, working up to a possible ban. A member who stays in line after any Disciplinary Action for three months would have one D/A marker removed. This is the model used on a forum I was involved with for 6 years, and it worked with few problems. Just something to think about.

John
Old 29-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Deactivated Account
that sounds good john thank you
Old 30-10-2006, 02:33 AM
GoldChord

Hi,

This is a really tricky issue and I have avoided weighing in on the debate. But I now cannot help myself. Here's what I think:

1. Moderators should not have to put up with any form of abuse or harassment via the private messaging system.

2. Private messages should not be published without permission of the author - under any circumstances.

3. It seems to me that the purpose of publishing any of this material (this seems to be the implication behind this thread) is that it will in some way name and shame the perpetrator so they refrain from this activity and will prevent others. I am not in favour in naming and shaming anyone for any reason. It seems totally contrary to the nature of this forum where love and support must prevail even in the face of bad behaviour.

4. I do believe that in the forum rules section that members agree to when they sign up there should be a section addressing the place and role of moderators that affirms that while moderators are there to facilitate us in concerns and issues through private messaging that might not be for discussion on the forum they must be treated (and posted) in the same manner as any public post.

5. I am in favour of a scale of limitations for anyone breaking these rules determined by collaboration between moderators.

I'm sure this doesn't solve anything. But I'm sure it will give some food for thought.

Take care
Old 30-10-2006, 03:30 AM
Pounamu

I must say I'm inclined more and more to the idea that Private Messages are meant to be private, and should not be revealed. I think really the main reason to do so is to "back up" a moderator's view or determination of a case; and I believe that moderators should have vested in them the right to make decisions as they in their wisdom and responsibility see fit, with that decision accepted by all as being under the rules, with no arguments allowed, no back-up evidence needed. And if the rules are detailed and explicit, I don't see that there could be any argument.

A moderator is essentially "holding the boundaries" of the forum; to facilitate this process, we should all get behind the moderators and accept that "what they say, goes". Only if a large number of obviously wonky decisions are made, should the suitability of the moderator be questioned; they have been honoured with that job for their observed fairness, integrity and suitability, and in my opinion they should be assisted by our co-operation as much as we can.
Old 30-10-2006, 04:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pounamu
I believe that moderators should have vested in them the right to make decisions as they in their wisdom and responsibility see fit, with that decision accepted by all as being under the rules, with no arguments allowed, no back-up evidence needed.

This is how I see it too!

I'd just like to add that in my experience as a moderator and administrator, the posting of PM's has rarely lead to anything other than more drama. It's a practice that I do not condone, but I will say that Fiona made excellent points about establishing a policy regarding this issue! If you feel that there will be times when it's absolutely necessary to post PM's then there should definitely be guidelines that everyone is aware of and accept as policy.

JOY is the evidence of internal growth ~ Marie Montessori
Closed Thread