Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 13-01-2016, 03:55 AM
Guide

The night my great grandfather died

This happened the night my great grandfather died & was one of the most scariest experiences I have ever had.

My great grandfather was a good man. He was married to my great grandmother for 65 years, served in WWII, & helped raise all his grand & great grandchildren.

My mom took me out of state & moved me to Texas....4 states away from my immediate family, where my great grandparents had retired to live on a lake. She was in her late 20s & was having a hard time, so my great grandparents took me to live with them. I was very close to my great grandfather. We spent every evening watching Wheel Of Fortune & Dynasty, Dallas, ect. He would take me on trips with him to his lake house (they had two houses) cook for me, play horse shoes, & was always talking to me about life. He was very protective of me, I was only 5/6 years old.

My mom, at the age of 7...took me back to live with my immediate family. My dad raised me after that...and I had lost all contact with my great grandfather for the next 25 years & most of my mom's side of the family...even my mom.

When I was in my late 20s, I was married, with kids of my own. We lived way out into the country, on a dead end road. It took 15 or more minutes to get into town just to get gas or groceries. We lived far out in the sticks, in the Shawnee National Forest. There was nothing around us.

I was watching t.v. one night (we had a sectional) and my husband fell asleep, then soon after I started to fall asleep. I turned off the t.v. & laid my head down. I had my eyes closed no more than a second, & I was not on my couch anymore....I was standing infront of a stone church in the bright daytime sun. People were dressed in black around me, walking into the church. They weren't looking at me or noticed me there. This scared me, because I didn't understand this...I didn't have time to fall asleep, & what is this? Then the bell at the top of the church started go go off....like the Catholic kneel.

Im not Catholic, at this time...I did not live in a Catholic community, either. I had never heard of the Catholic kneel before this.

This scared me & I jerked myself up, heart pounding...looking around the dark in my living room. I thought to myself, "Okay, that must have been a dream...thank God"

No sooner had that thought passed, that same bell went off into my living room....LOUD. I jumped off my couch to the other side of the sectional & shook my husband awake. GET UP! The bell would ring 3 times, take a small break, then ring again...it was so loud that I could not get a complete sentence out, because I couldn't hear myself talk. My hearing was overcome by this bell. My husband had turned on the lamp & looking at me with this look of confusion & worry. I could see his lips moving, but could not hear him....only parts of his words, because this bell would start going off again. It became obvious, that I was the only one who could hear it.

I was terrified & panicked. He had ahold of my arms, I was holding onto his...looking around the ceiling & room, trying to find out where this bell was coming from. When I saw his facial expressions & I realized he wasn't hearing this, only I was....I started to cry because I didn't know what was going on. I just kept saying, "Can you hear that...Can't you hear that?"

This went on for a few minutes, by the end of it...I was a mess. My husband wrapped a blanket around me (he thought I had cracked up & was going to take me to the hospital) but instead...laid me between him & the couch...I was still crying & telling him...somebody is going to die. I just kept repeating it...not realizing what I was really saying.

He just held onto me, hoping this would pass...and it did. Within 15 minutes or less, we both had fallen asleep. I don't know how...but we did.

He got up early, around 5 a.m that morning to go to work. My kids got up & left for school. I briefly thought of it that morning, and pushed the thought away. I didnt know what happened, I didnt want to know...the thought, terrified me.

I left that day to visit a historic area along the Mississippi river, to get away for the day. This place always made me feel calm...and it did. On my way back home, my dad called me on my cell phone.

He said, your family is coming up from Texas, all of them. I said, why? He said, your great grandpa died last night, they are bringing him up for burial & having his funeral here. (grandpa grew up here, before moving to Texas)

I went to grandpa's funeral later that week & found out...that I wasnt the only this happened to....my uncle, his youngest son...also had it happen to him.

I don't know why this happened in the form of a Catholic kneel...or where it came from...if it was from God or my grandpa...but it did & it was very scarey. lol...I don't ever want to be notified again that way.

If you can imagine what it is like to stand under a church when the bell goes off in town...how loud it is...you can get an idea of what was going on in my living room that night...not a good way to say good bye. I know my grandpa would never try to scare me, he wasn't that kind of person.
Old 13-01-2016, 04:49 AM
Master

This is called the Death Knell; or the tolling of the bell. The bell was rung to announce a death, not only for Catholics - this was the custom in England (I don't know about any other countries) but it fell out of use in the early 1900's.

I'm wondering if your family roots are English, perhaps. Would it have been something that your great grandfather would have been familiar with and that is why the message of his passing came to you in that way.
Old 13-01-2016, 05:40 AM
Guide

Not that I am familiar with, Jenny....I had never heard of this before it happened or associated it with death. I have heard the town church bell ring where I was growing up....but it rang when time changed in town, with the clock.

We aren't Catholic, I don't know if he had any British in him. That's something I will have to look into. It was just a weird way to get the message....I always thought we got signs that we would recognize...that was more scary because I had never heard of the Catholic knell before then. I was raised in a baptist church growing up.
Old 13-01-2016, 05:48 AM
Guide

I just did research on Grandpa's surname....& it is English. Grandpa was a blue eyed, blonde haired Indian...very strong roots in the Indian culture. It was the Cherokee Organization that brought his body to our state for burial, so that threw me off. Maybe grandpa was familiar with the tolling of the bell, he was born in 1918...I just know I wasn't, lol. It make sense a little bit now, I just read grandpa's memorial...he was a Leo...he would have went out like that.
Old 13-01-2016, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
When my grandfather passed he played a music box on the shelf in my living room that had his name on it that hadn't been touched in years. His last name and a composers last name were the same but I knew it was him saying goodbye. It never did that again after that one time. I'm sorry it scared you. It must have been disconcerting being so loud. I'm also sorry for your loss. Sounds like there was some sort of bond there even if you only spent a brief time with him this life.
Old 13-01-2016, 03:25 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle11
When my grandfather passed he played a music box on the shelf in my living room that had his name on it that hadn't been touched in years. His last name and a composers last name were the same but I knew it was him saying goodbye. It never did that again after that one time. I'm sorry it scared you. It must have been disconcerting being so loud. I'm also sorry for your loss. Sounds like there was some sort of bond there even if you only spent a brief time with him this life.
Thank you Michelle. My grandpa died back in 2009, but I still share this story. I wish I could go back & spend more time with him. He was always happy & funny. He spent a lot of time with me and his other grandchild who was my age, but died of cancer when he was 10 years old. (we were best friends , too) I know he is with him now. I take very serious when people tell me their stories of ADC or signs...I use to think it was something that people made up or wishful thinking...but I hadnt been around my grandpa in over 25 years...I had no idea he was sick or dying...or if he already had died.

It is real...and your story sounds like the same thing...except he was a little more gentler. My grandpa made sure he got my attention...and he did. I actually got to go to his funeral...and to my surprise, after all these years...they had pictures of me & his other grandchild(the one who died) sitting on his lap as toddlers. It was sweet & brought back a lot of memories.

Oh, & the other grandchild who died...my oldest son looks & acts just like him as a kid. Thats the first thing my mom's side of the family said when they got to meet him. I have never got any signs from him, though....except one time I was taking a bath(lol, I do this) & I was praying....and I asked if he was around me or my kids. I dont know if it was wishful thinking or what...but when I was done with my prayer...I looked up & there was a bottle of shampoo I had bought from a salon that I had not used before(I had several bottles of shampoos, ect on there). The name of the shampoo was his name...and above the last 3 letters of his name...were three dots above "son" His name was Jason.
Old 13-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
My grandfather had lung cancer and was near the end so he didn't need such an in your face way of communicating. That had to be disconcerting for you to say the least. My aunt use to smell roses when someone was about to die. My brother's second son has some of the mannerism of my grandfather and he is a smoker and a loner, my grandfather really did keep to himself so it would not surprise me if they reincarnated back into the family. I wasn't so clear that this kind of thing really happened that quickly but my ideas about the nature of human life have changed drastically over the past couple of years so I don't make any assumptions anymore. So have you lost any other relatives besides a cousin who died when you were still a child as well? The bell ringing may be your psychic knowing like my aunt with the roses. It may have been just for your grandfather but you never know.
Old 13-01-2016, 07:20 PM
Guide

I have been fortunate enough so far to not have lost anyone else, but I have had atleast two other encounters with acquaintances who have passed...I did have ADC & signs with them two as well, but they were very subtle. Although at the time I didn't realize what it was...or wrote it off. I can't say if he is reincarnated, although at times I do wonder...there is 8 years difference from the time Jason died & when my son was born.(I was 18 when I had him) I would need a REAL LOUD sign to know that one...lol.

I believe I do have some gifts, I do not develop them, or harness them or pay attention to them most of the time. My charge nurse believes I do, too. I confided in her a few times about my experiences & she witnessed it one time herself on a night shift. We had a pt. die one night...me & another prayed over her before she died in her bed before midnight. before morning...I had that feeling, the anxious feeling I get before weird things like that happen. She asked me to go to the lunch room & bring a cart with coffee, sugar, ect. I said okay...but the problem with that....is that I would have had to walk through the dining room & living area to go back to the break room to get these things. My heart kept racing, even though it didnt before then. (I was still new at this facility, I worked there maybe 2 months at this time)

I said, Marilyn...I really, really do not want to walk through that dining room right now. (it was dark) She sat at the nurses station & had a full view of the dining room...she said, why? I said, I just dont....I have a bad feeling. She said, Im right here & kinda laughed about it. So I said, okay...and I walked through the dining room and when I almost made it out to the break room, the lights all turned on and off by themselves. We didn't have motion sensored lights....it was an older facility. I didnt panic right away, I assumed it was motion sensored...even though its never happened before. Marilyn did freak out....she got out of her chair, ran around the nurses station to the dining where I was at....and yelled my name.

I turned around, saw her face & started running back towards Marilyn. She couldn't believe it...she said she got chills & she said, Girl I really think you have got some gifts. I was so shocked I played dumb...I said, aren't those motion sensored lights? She said, oh no...we dont have any high tech lights, computers, or anything here. I didn't make it to the break room because I ran straight back to her...and I already knew those werent motion sensored & that our facility was old & not updated...but at that moment, I didnt want to believe it. We both went back together & started talking about all this stuff for the rest of the night. Before I knew it, the other nurses & workers were crowded around me wanting to know more about what happened & other experiences I have had.

My first experience that I can recall of a ADC, was when I was 12 years old & in 7th grade. A boy from our local high school had been killed in an accident, he called me on my parents home phone the night he died. Nobody heard that call, but me. That was scarey, because I didn't know him well...and what I did know of him, he was really rowdy. His death was actually his own fault, but it wasn't intentional, he was wreckless. I had that same anxious feeling, although I didnt equate it to him, since we really didnt know each other & at that time, I didn't know I had any abilities. Thats another story that deserves its own thread. I will post about that sometime. (I hung up on him btw) I was too frightened.
Old 13-01-2016, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
Well at 12 I would suspect it would be kind of scary. Are you still scared of it or have you worked through that? My neighbor is a medium and hears spirits asking for help but she is too scared to communicate back. I have tried to help her to not be frightened but she is. When I first moved in next door to her I had a dream of her husband at the time cleaning out the cupboards taking everything out. The next time I saw her I asked if she was moving and she said no and I told her about the dream. Not long after that her husband said that he was divorcing her and turning himself into a woman and apparently when he was leaving he basically was taking everything in the house claiming he bought it. Kind of a jerk but ever since then she thought I was the more psychic one but I only had one other psychic dream about another neighbor. Most of my gifts revolve around a sense of knowing. I have had knowings when people pass. I know before someone tells me but nothing like any sort of communication with the other side. Anyways, try not to be afraid of it and see how far you can take it. Through some difficult life circumstances I gained a bit more communication with my guides and higher. It's really helpful if you can open that up more too.
Old 13-01-2016, 09:53 PM
Guide

No....I don't ever try to communicate back. I have always been particularly frightened when paranormal things happen to me. I also have precognitive dreams, and from what I gather...clairvoyant experiences from time to time. I wlil see pictures above people's heads or around their faces, although this doesn't happen a whole lot now, it happened a lot more as a small kid. I use to sit quietly and watch pictures form around the adults in the room. It almost looks cloudy, like a colorful cloud forming a solid picture. The best way I can describe it is, you remember those old 80s cartoons where a character would have a thought and it would form above his head, so you could see what he was thinking & up to? In a funny, similar way, that is how it has always happened for me, except it is real pictures. The last time it happened was 2 years ago.

I have asked God to take this away, after a few upsetting experiences. I don't know if he has...but I know I have shut down a lot more. I try to keep myself grounded & only look to scientific things that can be explained & so I took up agnostic religion. Ive always been in denial about it. Im one of those people who could write a book & at the same time...Im ashamed & embarrassed, so Ive always denied it, like it never happened. There is a very good scientific reason for it...I guess in a weird way, this validated that I was normal, and not weird. The very few times I tried to get help or share this with my family, I was told it was in my head or made fun of...they also believe its evil, they only believe in the bible. I have learned to keep it to myself. You don't want to be in my shoes...they really will outcast you from where I come from...and label you crazy. I am just now ready to face some of these things that have happened, that's one reason why I have recently joined this board. My mom, who I have never been close to, wants me to write a book on my experiences....the thought overwhelms me, I would have no support.

It does look like you have some abilities yourself. What brought you here...and do you have more experiences, too?