Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 29-10-2019, 09:07 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Our inner voice are just thoughts so if you had no thoughts for 24hours who told you....

Your thoughts told you , so your inner voice was still there doing it's job.

Every single time that inner voice emerged, it was because of a conscious action, otherwise, there was no inner voice.This is what I am trying to say, of course I had thoughts but I had them because of a conscious action, I could stare at the wall all the 24 hours without actually hearing my inner voice.For this very reason I could not meditate the way I used to because I was already emptied of my thoughts so no need to meditate more.

Of course I did some experiments, to see how I handle certain stressful situations and the "pressure" that I felt was around 10% of what I used to feel, it was pretty crazy.I had clarity of mind even when the situation was really stressful, I loved it! After repeating the same test for five times, eventually I started to have a headache because I focused too much on certain things Then I took a brake and the headache disappeared and I could sleep with no problem.

I was smiling all day for no reason, even now I am smiling
Old 29-10-2019, 10:17 AM
JustASimpleGuy

I agree there's the obvious inner voice that meditation can definitely come close to eliminating, even outside sitting. It's the unbidden inner voice we experience like crazy when we first start meditating. Monkey Mind, if you will. The power of meditation is making us more aware of it when it first begins to arise so as to give us the power of veto and not allow it to take us places that aren't productive.

Then there are more subtle functions of mind that aren't really an inner voice but can certainly have a similar effect and be directly experienced. Intuitions, desires, aversions, feelings and the like. All non-verbal.

Then there's a very deep and more subtle aspect of mind also at work that I'd associate with the Freudian ego. It is part of the subconscious and it really has to be else all its processing requirements would probably take up all of our conscious processing power. In my way of thinking it's what gives rise to the non-verbal experiences above and probable the verbal inner voice too.

That last aspect of mind was what the gentleman was referring to when he told me to be ever vigilant. It will latch onto things that might start out as virtuous or altruistic and bend them to its own agenda. As an example he said just Google Buddhist monks and sexual scandals, especially where there's a power relationship such as teacher/student, guru/follower, etc.. It goes to their heads, so to speak, and I'll leave it to you to decide which one.

I always use to joke about it being okay to talk to yourself, and even okay to answer back, having a conversation. When you start interrupting the conversation is when you should start to worry. LOL!

By the way, very expert meditators like Buddhist monks with tens of thousands of hours of formal sitting can maintain an absolute state of Samadhi outside of sitting if that's their desire. I'm pretty sure that's documented by EEG and fMRI findings carried out by neuroscientific research by the likes of Richie Davidson in his University of Wisconsin at Madison lab with Buddhist monks from Tibet.

The analogy he uses is that of a still lake vs. a turbulent one. That's not to say there's no brain activity but it's a distinct pattern and synchronized across widespread regions of the brain. It's that profound peace and serenity one experiences in deep meditation.

Practically speaking the end-result gives rise to a more pliable and flexible mind with clarity and creativity, love and compassion. Being able to relate to others on a more visceral level. A more discerning mind with a more intuitive grasp of right and wrong action and the free will to execute an appropriate course of action.

A very good YouTube video is "Becoming Conscious: The Science of Mindfulness".
Old 29-10-2019, 02:23 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Something else that occurred to me and it ties my above post to what I said in the other thread about motivation for meditation.

From a purist and spiritual perspective intent and motivation shouldn't be for selfish reasons. That arises from that very subtle and sneaky faculty of ego.

It won't even be obvious as I mused ego has a subtle and quiet way of attaching itself to a seemingly virtuous and altruistic endeavor and for its own purpose of self-protection. It doesn't want to be left out and will resist. A sense of pride is a dead giveaway something's going on below the surface. I saw it in myself after my talk with the gentlemen and concerning my motivation to start a meditation meetup group.

That's not to say one should think of it as totally selfless because that's probably the undesirable flip-side of the coin. Take the example of being in an airliner that experiences explosive decompression. It's advisable to tend to one's self first, securing an oxygen mask and using it. Then one can assist others who might be having difficulties. Trying to help others first might help one, but at the expense of one's self and one's ability to help more than just one other.

Anyway, that's my current thinking on the subject.
Old 29-10-2019, 02:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Something else that occurred to me and it ties my above post to what I said in the other thread about motivation for meditation.

From a purist and spiritual perspective intent and motivation shouldn't be for selfish reasons. That arises from that very subtle and sneaky faculty of ego.

It won't even be obvious as I mused ego has a subtle and quiet way of attaching itself to a seemingly virtuous and altruistic endeavor and for its own purpose of self-protection. It doesn't want to be left out and will resist. A sense of pride is a dead giveaway something's going on below the surface.

That's not to say one should think of it as totally selfless because that's probably the undesirable flip-side of the coin. Take the example of being in an airliner that experiences explosive decompression. It's advisable to tend to one's self first, securing an oxygen mask and using it. Then one can assist others who might be having difficulties. Trying to help others first might help one, but at the expense of one's self and one's ability to help more than just one other.

Anyway, that's my current thinking on the subject.

Agree with you....

If you Meditate to feel good then it's ego, if you Meditate to do good then that's a different story...

Once you start obsessing over how long you do it, how good it feels etc: then it's ego based.
Old 29-10-2019, 02:49 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Agree with you....

If you Meditate to feel good then it's ego, if you Meditate to do good then that's a different story...

Once you start obsessing over how long you do it, how good it feels etc: then it's ego based.

Yup and I just edited my previous post conveying that I recognized it at work in myself. If it wasn't pointed out to me Saturday I never would have considered that possibility. After all I'm super and have it all together, right? LOL!

Be ever vigilant. Know thyself even if you might not like what you find out in the knowing. Therein lies the possibility of conscious and corrective and action.