Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 03-04-2019, 12:13 AM
Master
Hi Jonesboy,

This is a second time you comment on ‘shamanism’ – and I honestly have no idea ‘where you are coming from’.
From Anatta thread:
Quote:
I have had a few friends that were shamans and the were always powerful 3rd eye type people. They could see deep.
?????
I have got no idea what powerful 3rd eye type people are. Are you referring to a “seer lineage”?
“Seeing” has more to do with ‘dimensional awareness shifts’ i.e. when “seeing” you often go into a light trance.

Quote:
I will admit I am trying to relate to your view on poles and shields but I am just not there yet.
Poles and shields ………?????
Think of a Mandala - a microcosm of the universe.
Think of the centre of a Mandala - that is the ‘pole’.
‘The pole’ is a breakthrough in space that allows dimensional shifts to higher vibrational levels or planes.

Quote:
The descent of the Holy Spirit is more of a reference to Grace. In Mystical Christianity energy descends from the top where Yoga it comes from the bottom.
People always talk about Bliss in relation to Buddhism – to me ‘Bliss’ feels more like Grace.
I would also describe empowerment as “Spirit’s descent” or Thunderbird/Eagle’s descent, but it is the raised Windhorse energy and purified energy-field that “summons it” …. And people from different traditions describe it differently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPYZ64RgjRo

Quote:
A Yidam is a divine being, a Buddha that one visualizes in great detail to be one with oneself. It is about realizing the pure aspects of that being within ones self.

It is far, far different than a Power Animal in Shamanism.

In Tantric Buddhism you receive empowerments – in Shamanism you receive empowerments.

With Yidam practice, as I understand it, we move from impure illusory body to pure illusory body - Yidam is the pure illusory body.

In Shamanism there are no conceptual teachings that take you to ‘the other side’.

In Vajrayana Buddhism your first ‘empowerment’ (?) could be Mahāvairocana on a Full Moon disc. A realization of the most immaculate, pure, white …. Buddha nature principle.
In Shamanism the white Windhorse appears from the absolute purity of the Full Moon rays in that Sacred Space.
It is also the energy of the Windhorse that takes you to ‘the other side’ - an energetic awareness shift from one illusory body to another (I trust this is also what is referred to as ‘a shamanic death experience’).

One minute you are in one illusory body but after awakening and empowerment you ‘wake up’ in another.
One minute you look at the Mandala from the outside – next minute the world, your reality has turned upside down and inside out and now your reality is inside the Sacred Mandala.

Windhorse is ‘the power animal’.
https://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Lungta

Last edited by sentient : 03-04-2019 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:03 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
Hi Jonesboy,

This is a second time you comment on ‘shamanism’ – and I honestly have no idea ‘where you are coming from’.
From Anatta thread:

?????
I have got no idea what powerful 3rd eye type people are. Are you referring to a “seer lineage”?
“Seeing” has more to do with ‘dimensional awareness shifts’ i.e. when “seeing” you often go into a light trance.

‘The pole’ is a breakthrough in space that allows dimensional shifts to higher vibrational levels or planes.

People always talk about Bliss in relation to Buddhism – to me ‘Bliss’ feels more like Grace.
I would also describe empowerment as “Spirit’s descent” or Thunderbird/Eagle’s descent, but it is the raised Windhorse energy and purified energy-field that “summons it” …. And people from different traditions describe it differently:

In Tantric Buddhism you receive empowerments – in Shamanism you receive empowerments.

With Yidam practice, as I understand it, we move from impure illusory body to pure illusory body - Yidam is the pure illusory body.

In Shamanism there are no conceptual teachings that take you to ‘the other side’.

In Vajrayana Buddhism your first ‘empowerment’ (?) could be Mahāvairocana on a Full Moon disc. A realization of the most immaculate, pure, white …. Buddha nature principle.
In Shamanism the white Windhorse appears from the absolute purity of the Full Moon rays in that Sacred Space.
It is also the energy of the Windhorse that takes you to ‘the other side’ - an energetic awareness shift from one illusory body to another (I trust this is also what is referred to as ‘a shamanic death experience’).

One minute you are in one illusory body but after awakening and empowerment you ‘wake up’ in another.
One minute you look at the Mandala from the outside – next minute the world, your reality has turned upside down and inside out and now your reality is inside the Sacred Mandala.

Hi Sentient,

Yes i have comment on your post with regard to Buddhism because much of what you are trying to relate shamanism to Buddhism is incorrect.

Quote:

A trance and seeing with the 3rd eye are two different things. Most people when they open the 6th chakra can see in the astral.

Quote:

That is not a Buddhist concept of what a Mandala is.

Mandalas in Tantra
In the advanced practices known as "tantra," [read more about tantra here], meditators dissolve their ordinary self-image of a solid, permanent “me,” and instead imagine themselves in the form of an yidam, or Buddha-figure. These represent one or more aspects of a fully-enlightened Buddha, such as the relatively well-known example of Avalokiteshvara as the embodiment of compassion. Tantric practitioners imagine themselves in the form of Avalokiteshvara, and feel that they embody compassion just as he does. By imagining that we’re already able to help others just like the Buddha-figure can – while being fully aware that we are not quite there yet – we can build up the causes for our own enlightenment efficiently and effectively.

Buddha-figures live in totally pure worlds known as mandalas, with the term “mandala” referring not just to the environment of that world, but also the beings who inhabit it. Each of the worlds is slightly different, but in general they comprise of an ornate square palace situated in the middle of a beautiful landscape, surrounded by a round protective barrier that wards off interferences to the meditation practice. The main figure could be male or female, on their own or as a couple, sitting or standing in the center of the palace. They’re often surrounded by an array of other figures, and sometimes there are additional figures outside the palace as well. Many of them have multiple faces, arms and legs, and hold a variety of hand implements.

Each figure and the implement they hold represents something associated with the meditation practice. For instance, the six arms of a figure might represent the six perfections or far-reaching attitudes.

Practitioners not only imagine that they are all the figures inside and outside the palace, but they imagine that they are the palace as well, with the various architectural features of the mandala palace also representing various aspects of meditation practice. In some mandalas, the four walls might represent the four noble truths, while the palace being square with equal-length sides indicates that in terms of emptiness or voidness, the Buddhas and the not-yet-enlightened are equal.

Some very advanced tantric meditations even have visualizations of parts of their body as parts of the palace, or various figures of the palace situated inside their own body. This is called a “body mandala,” and is difficult because it requires excellent concentration and a thorough understanding of Buddhist philosophy.

https://studybuddhism.com/en/tibetan...t-is-a-mandala

Quote:

Bliss is far, far from Grace. Silence can be blissful, energy can be blissful, both of those in and out of practice.

Grace is more like the Divine sending a transmission that clears away your obstructions. Much different than bliss.

Also, in Mystical Christianity and in Buddhism there is no energy fields as such a thing is dualistic.

Quote:

Yidam practice has nothing to do with moving from an impure illusory body to a pure illusory body. A Yidam as described above is a Buddha.. they have no body.

Quote:

An empowerment in Buddhism does not take one to Buddha Nature.

Much of what you are talking about is shifts that are dualistic in nature. A Buddha is everything in all dimensions, in all times, in all places. If there is still an inside and an outside, that is not a Buddha.

The Windhorse is a reference to working with energy within yourself to begin with. Later as one progress they realize that the energy they feel within them is them, is everything. All form in Buddhism is energy which is you.

It would be a mistake to think of it in dualistic terms as a power animal outside of oneself.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Yes i have comment on your post with regard to Buddhism because much of what you are trying to relate shamanism to Buddhism is incorrect.
I have to admit my knowledge of Buddhism is very limited & it is limited to a few connection points here and there.
Plus even - at best - these connection points are hazy and sketchy.

Quoting myself:
Quote:

Jonesboy:
Quote:
A trance and seeing with the 3rd eye are two different things. Most people when they open the 6th chakra can see in the astral.
You might be right about the 6th chakra, but I think the different words used here are creating the confusion.

Posting this chart as a communication tool to illustrate:
https://pm1.narvii.com/6396/6f7274a2...971cbfb_hq.jpg

As you look at the chart – The Astral is one dimension ‘up’ – so it is a *dimensional awareness shift* from one to another.
In a light trance part of your brain (awareness) stays in 3D and part of your brain (awareness) ‘goes to sleep’ accessing the 4D.
Hence you can be washing your dishes and at the same time have a conversation with the departed, who at first probably communicate from the Astral 4D, but after – when they are ready to reincarnate – they go to the Causal 5D for a while.
And yes the Causal is sheer Bliss, absolutely Heavenly. This is a much deeper trance, because of the dimensional difference or depth, a trance you really don’t want to come out of.
When receiving teachings from the Causal – it feels like Grace.

But you don’t have to be a Shaman to communicate with the departed, lots of people from Shamanic cultures do, whether asleep or awake (light trance). This is not considered to be anything special but rather normal.

I’ll go back to my quote:
Quote:

Jonesboy:
Quote:
That is not a Buddhist concept of what a Mandala is.
If you look at the chart again, you see how Dimensions are all stacked up vertically. This creates an idea of a ‘vertical pole’ one ‘ascends’ or ‘shifts’ into higher vibrational levels. Of course it is not an accurate description, but the imagery is used as a teaching tool.
So the ‘pole’ at the very top represents Source Essence.
The Thinderbird/Eagle sits there, who is the servant of the Central Sun.

I have posted this a few times already:
Quote:
Kyilkor
The Tibetan word for mandala is "kyilkor," which means "center and fringe." Therefore we're talking about a circle, a center and circumference, which establishes a complete world. At the center of the mandala is always a central deity. This deity is the buddha principle, i.e., it stands for nothing, the emptiness that pervades the mandala. It says, in effect, nothing is at the center, and this then is the central gateway into the absolute buddha mind.

There is no pole, there is nothing at its centre – yet it is the gateway – “a breakthrough in space that allows dimensional shifts to higher vibrational levels or planes”.

If you did watch this video – which to me sounds very genuine:
In 1:10 he says: “Time Stopped”.
This is precisely what happens when your awareness shifts to the *centre*.

Jonesboy:
Quote:
Yidam practice has nothing to do with moving from an impure illusory body to a pure illusory body. A Yidam as described above is a Buddha.. they have no body.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yidam
Quote:
Yidam is a type of deity associated with tantric or Vajrayana Buddhism said to be manifestations of Buddhahood or enlightened mind.
Yidam is:
Visualized representative of your enlightened energy, or Buddha-nature.

Deity practice - Pure Illusory Body of the Deity - when practiced is said to lead to the Rainbow Body (= Pure Illusory Body).

Jonesboy:
Quote:
An empowerment in Buddhism does not take one to Buddha Nature.

Much of what you are talking about is shifts that are dualistic in nature. A Buddha is everything in all dimensions, in all times, in all places. If there is still an inside and an outside, that is not a Buddha.

The Windhorse is a reference to working with energy within yourself to begin with. Later as one progress they realize that the energy they feel within them is them, is everything. All form in Buddhism is energy which is you.

It would be a mistake to think of it in dualistic terms as a power animal outside of oneself.

I was given a Yidam Deity to practice, (one of 3 ‘Empowerments’), but I have got a difficulty in visualizing it in that form, because my subconscious from collective subconscious of our ancestors makes the Deity take on another form.
Lots of people can receive empowerments, but then it is up to each individual practitioner if that Deity practice comes to ‘fruition’.

About the Windhorse …….
The 'Windhorse' is just a mythical image in a folktale to begin with - as is the ‘Pole’.
As you ‘raise the Windhorse energy’ – you seem to become a person who has more ‘luck’ – auspicious coincidences happen in your life.
As your energy rises and aligns - I assume – so called ‘chakras’ open.
(You ascend the 'pole')
Once the Crown Chakra opens – the Deity appears and so on ……

Old 05-04-2019, 01:21 PM
Master
Quote:
I have to admit my knowledge of Buddhism is very limited & it is limited to a few connection points here and there.
Plus even - at best - these connection points are hazy and sketchy.

Quoting myself:

Jonesboy:

You might be right about the 6th chakra, but I think the different words used here are creating the confusion.

Posting this chart as a communication tool to illustrate:
https://pm1.narvii.com/6396/6f7274a2...971cbfb_hq.jpg

As you look at the chart – The Astral is one dimension ‘up’ – so it is a *dimensional awareness shift* from one to another.
In a light trance part of your brain (awareness) stays in 3D and part of your brain (awareness) ‘goes to sleep’ accessing the 4D.
Hence you can be washing your dishes and at the same time have a conversation with the departed, who at first probably communicate from the Astral 4D, but after – when they are ready to reincarnate – they go to the Causal 5D for a while.
And yes the Causal is sheer Bliss, absolutely Heavenly. This is a much deeper trance, because of the dimensional difference or depth, a trance you really don’t want to come out of.
When receiving teachings from the Causal – it feels like Grace.

But you don’t have to be a Shaman to communicate with the departed, lots of people from Shamanic cultures do, whether asleep or awake (light trance). This is not considered to be anything special but rather normal.

I’ll go back to my quote:

Jonesboy:

If you look at the chart again, you see how Dimensions are all stacked up vertically. This creates an idea of a ‘vertical pole’ one ‘ascends’ or ‘shifts’ into higher vibrational levels. Of course it is not an accurate description, but the imagery is used as a teaching tool.
So the ‘pole’ at the very top represents Source Essence.
The Thinderbird/Eagle sits there, who is the servant of the Central Sun.

I have posted this a few times already:

There is no pole, there is nothing at its centre – yet it is the gateway – “a breakthrough in space that allows dimensional shifts to higher vibrational levels or planes”.

If you did watch this video – which to me sounds very genuine:
In 1:10 he says: “Time Stopped”.
This is precisely what happens when your awareness shifts to the *centre*.

Jonesboy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yidam

Deity practice - Pure Illusory Body of the Deity - when practiced is said to lead to the Rainbow Body (= Pure Illusory Body).

Jonesboy:

I was given a Yidam Deity to practice, (one of 3 ‘Empowerments’), but I have got a difficulty in visualizing it in that form, because my subconscious from collective subconscious of our ancestors makes the Deity take on another form.
Lots of people can receive empowerments, but then it is up to each individual practitioner if that Deity practice comes to ‘fruition’.

About the Windhorse …….
The 'Windhorse' is just a mythical image in a folktale to begin with - as is the ‘Pole’.
As you ‘raise the Windhorse energy’ – you seem to become a person who has more ‘luck’ – auspicious coincidences happen in your life.
As your energy rises and aligns - I assume – so called ‘chakras’ open.
(You ascend the 'pole')
Once the Crown Chakra opens – the Deity appears and so on ……

Hi Sentient,

Some very cool stuff and thank you for breaking it down for me.

Also, i was completely wrong about the illusory body. I was thinking of something else. Sorry about that.

I understand your comments on 4d/5d seeing but think of it like this. All seeing is local mind based. It is the local mind interrupting the light. Beyond seeing is true "knowing".

I have seen charts like that before and it did help me understand where you are coming from. I am not much into the vibrational states or that we jump dimensions. For me it is more about our consciousness/our being expands/or you could say the clearing away of what we are grows.

I will share what I use which isn't really buddhist either. :)

Quote:
level zero - this is not really a level. It could also be called the primordial. Outside or beyond universal mind.

level 1 - base manifest existence. All physical stuff.

level 2 - base emotions. Things like anger and fear are the driving nature of this level of local mind.

level 3 - Individual sense of self. Think of it as the level of most egotistical people. 90% of humans.

level 4 - Opening of heart. This is a huge step and what many consider awakening. It is the fundamental shift of moving from being focused on your individual needs to truly caring about others. A good example is a truly loving parent.

level 5 - Subconscious connection to others and your local surroundings. It this level one tends to feel and sense energy of beyond their local body. But the conscious mind does not yet know how to distinguish between what is outside, and what is energy spilling over and creating images or emotions that are experienced in the (local) mind.

level 6 - Huge step as one begins to actually see and consciously notice what you could call universal mind/universe. Some call this open 3rd eye stuff. Beginning of true Astral level activity. But it is still based in the local mind view of sense of self.

level 7 - Classically called the open crown, this is when you start to get cracks in the local mind version of sense of self. One starts to notice/touch the divine/light. Anyone who reaches this stage will often experience a divine being (or guru) to help them cross over into the light/divine. No fear of death at this stage.

level 8 - Light/Divine with out differentiation. Rather than a linear level, it is much more like a quantum leap. The local bubble of mind/sense of self has been cracked. Direct access to universal layer, but no ability to differentiate. You feel you are one with everyone, but can't really access or help on individual basis. It is like "being" rather than "seeing". This is also called the "soul" level by many, and the person "radiates" light.

level 9 - Light with beginning differentiation. You are one with all humans and begin to integrate with plants and animals. Still mostly local.

level 10 - Expansion has continued to more planetary and includes inanimate objects. Can directly access all beings within your sphere of being to various degrees of refinement.

level 11 - Beingness has expanded across what people call different dimensions. Possible to create and play with pocket universes and have astral level people visit them.

level 12 - boundary of what people call time and space. At this level, you can perceive forwards or backwards in time. Also, the historical limit of physical form/manifestation for maintaining human form.

level 13 - at this level there is no longer and sense of male and female at a human level. Beginning of what some traditions call the "god realms".

level 14-16 - Higher form realms, nothing really easy to describe. Many divine beings or gods reside there.

level 17 and above - formless realms of potential. Can find some higher immortals and divine beings residing there.

I would also agree with you that after you open the chakras they unify you can say into the light body. I also do agree with you that once the crown is open one most definitely has access to the divine.

Thank you for sharing and helping me understand.

All the best.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:07 AM
Master
Jonesboy – what stands out to me from your list is this:
Quote:
level 7 - Classically called the open crown, this is when you start to get cracks in the local mind version of sense of self. One starts to notice/touch the divine/light. Anyone who reaches this stage will often experience a divine being (or guru) to help them cross over into the light/divine. No fear of death at this stage.

level 8 - Light/Divine with out differentiation. Rather than a linear level, it is much more like a quantum leap. The local bubble of mind/sense of self has been cracked. Direct access to universal layer, but no ability to differentiate. You feel you are one with everyone, but can't really access or help on individual basis. It is like "being" rather than "seeing". This is also called the "soul" level by many, and the person "radiates" light.

Quote:
I understand your comments on 4d/5d seeing but think of it like this. All seeing is local mind based. It is the local mind interrupting the light. Beyond seeing is true "knowing".

I think I know what you mean.
But consider Crown Chakra.
When it starts to open – you do get the “direct inner knowingness” what is happening, but at the same time you do get the visuals as well …….. Direct inner knowingness with “Seeing”.

A Shaman would probably say that he/she ascended the pole and exited through (the smoke hole of the tipi) into “Upper Realm”.
“We” call that centre of a Crown Chakra a “hole” and there are many more “holes” on the World Pole, this is just the first one.
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...a+symbol+1.png
The first one is the “quantum leap”.
But don't ask me about the others - I don't know.

At 14:27 Igor retells his experience.
When you are on the spot like that – even the word ‘extreme’ cannot possibly cover what is happening and the image of Maharishi appeared to him.

IF ….. I remember it right and made the right connection (?) – my Tibetan Lama friend (from Tibet) called it “Mind Trust”.
And yes – it is on “soul level”.
I don’t know “Maharishi” from a bar of soap, but I absolutely respect Igor’s “Mind Trust”.

One might have become disillusioned with Christianity and one might now be a practicing Buddhist.
BUT – when put on the spot - what might appear could be the image of Christ or Mary.

I knew a bloke – when ‘aligned’ with Crown Chakra opening – saw a “Rainbow Serpent” as his “Mind Trust” and he didn’t even know he was of Aboriginal descent at that time. His past lives being Aboriginal.

The beauty is – at least in Tibetan Vajrayana Buddhism, that they know what is going on and it is OK. You don’t have to “see” a Buddha image.
They are not (not from my experience anyways) uptight straitjackets and what your primary “Mind Trust” appears as –IS your primary practice.
But you can always complement your practice with a Buddhist Yidam. You are given a go ahead to practice this ‘form’ as well.

Lots of room in ‘emptiness’ - 'one taste' and non-dual unconditional love to do so.

Beethoven-Moonlight Sonata (Mvt. 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT7_IZPHHb0
Old 07-06-2019, 10:29 AM
Master
After the Crown chakra has opened - the Chakra at the back of the head opens.
"Bindu" I think it is called by other traditions?

Quote:
Beethoven-Moonlight Sonata (Mvt. 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT7_IZPHHb0
It is like a Causal Realm Full Moon purification.

http://www.sunnyray.org/SuncevaZraka/bindu-location.jpg

That is where Shaman's power/guidance comes from (not the 3rd eye).

This is Hiimori/Windhorse:
https://ak6.picdn.net/shutterstock/v...26/thumb/1.jpg

Old 07-06-2019, 02:42 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
The following is about Moggallana who was one of the Buddha's chief disciples as well as examples of the Buddha.

Any thoughts?

In the quote you gave in the OP, stirs in me the

Whole of the differences we have.

I can not say your gifts or knowledge are better than another persons gifts or knowledge.

And yet there seems to be a grand disturbance and strife when people

attempt to communicate their gifts whether it be powers or knowledge or what have you.

Unity of people coming together is an elusive thing.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:02 PM
Master
It just makes me wonder why there are like 2 approaches to Shiva/Shakti union?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bindu_(symbol)
Quote:
The white Bindu resides in the bindu visarga and is related to Shiva and the Moon, while the red Bindu resides in the muladhara chakra and is related to Shakti and the Sun. In yoga, the union of these two parts results in the ascension of kundalini to the sahasrara.

In Tibetan Buddhism Bindu refers to the subtle body, which is composed of drops (Tibetan: thig le) and winds (Tibetan: rLung).

There is this Shakti and the Sun rising to the third eye?
Then there is the Shiva and the Moon descending down ….

In Shamanism it seems we work with the latter rather than Kundalini Shakti rising.

‘We’ do raise the Windhorse, but that is not the same thing.

I think running already was sketching the answer in the other thread…

Old 08-06-2019, 10:36 AM
Master
Quote:
It just makes me wonder why there are like 2 approaches to Shiva/Shakti union?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bindu_(symbol)

There is this Shakti and the Sun rising to the third eye?
Then there is the Shiva and the Moon descending down ….

In Shamanism it seems we work with the latter rather than Kundalini Shakti rising.

‘We’ do raise the Windhorse, but that is not the same thing.

I think running already was sketching the answer in the other thread…

Interesting!

Old 13-07-2019, 10:29 PM
Master
Jonesboy,

Thanks for your interesting comments.

My knowledge of magic comes from those who practice Theravada Buddhist that is deeply immersed in Animism.