Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 10-06-2018, 02:38 PM
Master
Angel1 People often approach meditation thinking this...

This is my personal insight I thought "might'' influence someone in a good way...isn't that why we share anything?
My background... so you know I know a little bit about this topic, hahaha...
this will soon be 45 years of meditating, often 3-6 hours a sitting.

So, what is 'for me' is not the common idea of quieting thoughts as primary....which is fine, of course!
As I sit it is about my heart's desire and, thus, focus.
What I mean is the quieting of thoughts just follows naturally...just as in when you are doing a project you just love...
all your attention is on that 'model airplane'...someone could come into the room and you don't notice...
you are zeroed in on that one project you are so enjoying.

This is what I mean to say.

I bring this up because a friend said her mind just won't stop...funny tho,
her mind will stop instantly if she sees a gorgeous purse in the window...or a gorgeous man...or hears a gorgeous song!!

When one finds that thing that their heart so desires...and I will say...it is
Love, usually...
(Could be Wisdom, Joy, Beauty, God Himself...many words for the same thing...)....
everything stops....you are absorbed.

So instead of 'trying' to still the mind as a goal...I say, simply:

Find that which your heart desires...then sit with it....be in it...let it take you.

"Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death
by riding daily in a balloon of divine perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones...
Meditate unceasingly, that you quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence"

~Lahiri Mahasaya, the Guru of Yogananda's Guru

I have no scientific evidence for anything I say.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:41 PM
Experiencer

I also meditate with intent so I totally get what you are saying. Sometimes I just connect with my higher self and let the thoughts and images flow through. Yesterday during a short session I was given and image of my husband and I connected by a gold thread. Other times I have been given images of pulsating crystals or a piece of crystal jewelry I should make. Other times I see parts of my house like my eyes are open, but they are not and I am still in my room. I love meditating I have found such inspiration and inner peace. I have also learned how to use it to get rid of pain so I dont have to take NSAIDs anymore. :)
Old 12-06-2018, 07:30 PM
Master
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compendium
...Other times I see parts of my house like my eyes are open, but they are not and I am still in my room.
Hi.
This reminded me of an Indian, saffron robed 'guy' saying to a small group of us late one night in 'sat sang',
"The whole Universe is inside you...you will see many things." :)

I often see vistas before me as if I am an eagle 1000s of feet in the air
drifting with the wind currents...or just any thing at all...I was taught:
"Just enjoy".

Old 12-06-2018, 07:58 PM
Pathfinder
Hi @Miss Hepburn, I was going to ask this in a thread, but I would like to ask you directly as well. When I meditate, I try to keep a constant focus on the breath, and aim for a sense of clarity (which ideally would also allow me to see the movements in my mind, and would allow me to let go of any thoughts before they start to tug at me).

Initially, this produces a pleasurable *light and light-weight* spacious feeling. Then some thoughts come, and I let them go again (the light feeling remains). However, after repeating this cycle for say 20 minutes, I find that despite not having a continuous thought train (if I am lucky) and not that many distracting thoughts, I still feel more weighed down, and more in a kind of foggy dream state. It's like every time I let my thoughts pass away, they still drench my brain a little, until my my brain becomes "fully drenched" and heavy.

In your opinion, is this something that will improve given more practice? I was wondering if I should make my sessions shorter so that the more heavy phase is avoided (I usually meditate for about 45 minutes up to an hour). In a way, sitting longer is easier for me now because my legs and back are not hurting anymore, but when I get out of the meditation, I usually have a strong desire to go straight to sleep (which makes me a little unsatisfied, because it feels like I failed at staying present). Can you describe a little how your meditation experience changes over time during a session? (e.g. is there a constant sense of clarity, or does it degrade a little, or the opposite: improve?)
Old 12-06-2018, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
There is no right way or wrong way to meditate.as each of us are different our approach to Meditation will also be different.
some people think if they meditate they will see things.which is a misconception as it doesn't always work like that.
myself I just quiet my mind and I always connect to my guide.but like Miss Hepburn has said.i have been doing it years also.

Namaste
Old 13-06-2018, 03:58 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Flux
Hi @Miss Hepburn, I was going to ask this in a thread, but I would like to ask you directly as well.
When I meditate, I try to keep a constant focus on the breath, and aim for a sense of clarity
(which ideally would also allow me to see the movements in my mind,
and would allow me to let go of any thoughts before they start to tug at me).
Initially, this produces a pleasurable *light and light-weight* spacious feeling.
Then some thoughts come, and I let them go again (the light feeling remains).
However, after repeating this cycle for say 20 minutes, I find that despite not having a continuous thought train (if I am lucky)
and not that many distracting thoughts, I still feel more weighed down...

...I usually have a strong desire to go straight to sleep (which makes me a little unsatisfied, because it feels like I failed at staying present).
Can you describe a little how your meditation experience changes over time during a session?
(e.g. is there a constant sense of clarity, or does it degrade a little, or the opposite: improve?)
Ha! That's a lot to address!

May I ask you something? I am wondering what focusing on the breath means to you.
I ask because while doing this you say you have distracting thoughts and feel weighed down. (very good you are watching how you feeeeel)

When you are touching your partner, (our child or puppy), softly feeling their skin, looking into their eyes, embracing them....
do you feel distracting thoughts that weigh you down?

Cuz when you find something more enticing, more powerful than any silly thoughts...
that is when your spirit is lifted to another height, let's say...this is when the soul can soar in a sea called many things...Joy, peace,
bliss...clarity, wisdom, confidence and strength...and so on.

Do you find the breath concentration so beautiful, so captivating that
it stops your thoughts?

This is why I thought starting at square one could be helpful for you...
because if breath focus is as interesting to you as, say, looking at the center of a Mandala...
well, we have a problem! Ha, lol!
Let's address that first.

How does that sound?
Pleasure talking to you, In Flux.

*And correct, there is no wrong way to meditate...if my input resonates with
someone great...it will not resonate with everyone!*

Old 14-06-2018, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
This is my personal insight I thought "might'' influence someone in a good way...isn't that why we share anything?
My background... so you know I know a little bit about this topic, hahaha...
this will soon be 45 years of meditating, often 3-6 hours a sitting.

So, what is 'for me' is not the common idea of quieting thoughts as primary....which is fine, of course!
As I sit it is about my heart's desire and, thus, focus.
What I mean is the quieting of thoughts just follows naturally...just as in when you are doing a project you just love...
all your attention is on that 'model airplane'...someone could come into the room and you don't notice...
you are zeroed in on that one project you are so enjoying.

This is what I mean to say.

I bring this up because a friend said her mind just won't stop...funny tho,
her mind will stop instantly if she sees a gorgeous purse in the window...or a gorgeous man...or hears a gorgeous song!!

When one finds that thing that their heart so desires...and I will say...it is
Love, usually...
(Could be Wisdom, Joy, Beauty, God Himself...many words for the same thing...)....
everything stops....you are absorbed.

So instead of 'trying' to still the mind as a goal...I say, simply:

Find that which your heart desires...then sit with it....be in it...let it take you.

I absolutely get what you mean, Miss Hepburn! That's exactly it. Focus on something you really really love and meditation is no chore! Love it!!
Old 14-06-2018, 09:06 AM
Pathfinder
Hi @Miss Hepburn, focussing on the breath means that I try to continuously observe how the breath enters and leaves the body. Usually, when I start meditating, this is accompanied by a spacious feeling in my head (in general my third eye feels very open, I think it's related). I will also feel some constriction in my throat and chest, because I am carrying sadness, but also this is not an unpleasant sensation (it feels kind of good to notice it).

So at the start, my meditation doesn't feel totally captivating, but quite pleasant, but over time, it degrades into a feeling of dullness (though I try to keep my focus on the breath, it gradually erodes, and in its place comes random drifting into sleepiness and different thought directions). So maybe I was too optimistic when I said there were not too many thought trains or distracting thoughts. I guess this is only true for the first 20 minutes (on a "good" day).

I think I should keep trying, but I was curious if you (or anybody) else has some experience with how the meditation experiences changes over time. Though maybe in your case, it's so beautiful from the outset, that it's hard to compare :-).
Old 14-06-2018, 12:44 PM
Master
Hi In Flux...I may pm you to tell you about the sacredness of the
breath...the bridge it is
to Spirit or just the spiritual world itself...
maybe that being said is enough..if you were to research this a bit...
you might be more inspired to revere the breath...it helps our concentration when our understanding of something is deeper.
Kirpal Singh does a good job. I'm not a Buddhist, btw..whole diff approach.

You ask about changes in meditation over the years...ok...
At first I had Monkey Mind like everyone else ...the day was hard to
push aside; I would quit not reaching much peace of mind even many times!!
I (the ego) would see meditation as a chore...but I lived in an ashram for many years and
we all meditated in group at 5am..then at night...and alone during the day.

Plugging away I would suddenly, inexplicably enter a 'zone'....and wow...
then meditation was like sunbathing!
More like a 'basking'...taking in love...just love and more love....hearing and seeing
beauty of all sorts...with Divine Insights being revealed....
Ha, I do often think of what NDErs exp.

When the mind, (well, my mind), reaches the zero point, the still point...
the atom point...THAT is when anything can happen.
I shouldn't talk about what I exp, unless in private, tho I love telling people!

But, if you are looking for encouragement...being still and aware...does
move us into great beauty.

Hi, Tobi!

Old 14-06-2018, 05:07 PM
Experiencer

Flux I carried a heavy trauma related burden for the longest time. I started getting into crystals about three years ago and I started meditating and following the process, then I realized my burden was holding me back and needed to be dealt with so I put everything away. I had dealt with most of my baggage, but the hardest thing to do was forgive myself. I dwelled in the concept and tried my hardest, but I couldnt achieve it. Finally I gave it to my subconscious to deal with and one day my guilt was just gone. I had finally realized what happened to me was not my fault. I was immediatly compelled to unpack my crystals and meditate again. I found a whole new level of meditation this way. In fact I have found a whole new me. If you are having trouble with your chakras being blocked give it to your subconcious and every time you bring it to your concious mind and realize it give it back. Your subconcious will help eliviate your burden and resolve your pain in this you will find a new you.

Namaste`