Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanita
Meaning no disrespect, but I "have' witnessed this "so called" speaking in tongues and it "does" appear to be gibberish to me, but then they all went into another room and started gossiping about other members.....so no, it did not appear to change them for the better or change their lives........and it "was" creepy............
Gossiping is a very bad thing indeed. One thing to also consider that people forget any spiritual improvements we try to atatin may not be instant for all and some may be further along the path and are he good example you wish you saw.

Lol put 50 people together in just about anything and getting them not to gossip about something is as about easy as holding back the ocean tides.
Old 13-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Juanita

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
Gossiping is a very bad thing indeed. One thing to also consider that people forget any spiritual improvements we try to atatin may not be instant for all and some may be further along the path and are he good example you wish you saw.

Lol put 50 people together in just about anything and getting them not to gossip about something is as about easy as holding back the ocean tides.

seriously, I don't think that this "speaking in tongues" means anything at all and is just part of their religious service.....Speaking ill of others behind their back doesn't show spiritual improvement in any way as they have been doing this their whole lives......but its kind of you to give them the benefit of the doubt......
Old 14-03-2012, 03:04 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
Ahh I get what you mean. Have you ever wanted to have a spiritual experience where you think to yourself later "wow that was amazing"
Tongues is not that experience but you are talking about is. The direction after an experience like that is for me the is knowing there is more than belief. You hope there is a god and believe it but when a big supernatural moment happens to you it all makes sense what those people were talking about. Every time you meet the holy spirit the conviction it's all real goes deeper. It is a bit of a trip, It's a high of sorts. High on love and joy.

It's one of those things that explaining it does no justice to experiencing it.
"wow that was amazing". What concerns me here is that this "wow that was amazing" seems to come from other people reporting back to the person. It doesn't seem to be created by a first hand experience which imo would require some kind of recall of the experience. Such recall seems to be totally lacking, people seem to go unconscious.
Old 14-03-2012, 04:50 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin
"wow that was amazing". What concerns me here is that this "wow that was amazing" seems to come from other people reporting back to the person. It doesn't seem to be created by a first hand experience which imo would require some kind of recall of the experience. Such recall seems to be totally lacking, people seem to go unconscious.
Actually being involved in it many times I just realised you guys are getting talking in tongues confused with being slain in the spirit.

They are very different.

Slain In the spirit is like a lightheadedness full of joy while you are totally conscious. You sorta go weak all over but you remember it all. You get overcome with something that comes on you thats really cool and irresistible.

A baptism in the holy spirit might happen while you are standing up or where ever you are in gods presence. It could make you have heightened emotions.

One time it happened to me I could not stop tears of happiness. For once in my life I felt acceptable in the presence of God for a little while.

Talking in tongues is just praying to god in spiritual gibberish sounding language. it feels good but is nothing like the other things I said above it could be the result of one of those things.

For christians The spirit baptism of the holy spirit at conversion or later on brings with it spiritual gifts from God and tongues MAY be one among many others.

I'll put some verses in to help you understand how as Christians we view this.

1 Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed. 2 You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3 Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

Lots of gifts you could get, tongues is just a little least important one. Its great to pray to god with by yourself in private.
Old 14-03-2012, 05:29 AM
Rin

As the people who speak in tongues do not know what they are actually saying is it not just part of an emotional roller coasting ride? What I mean, isn't there something happening underneath, and the speaking in tongues is just a pointer to this happening?
If this interpretation is correct, why the emphasis on the speaking in tongues and nothing on what happens underneath?

As it is called a gift, let me use that imagery. Talking in tongues is the wrapping paper but not the real gift. Why get excited about and wrapped up in (pun intended) the wrapping paper?
And if it is not the real gift how is that unearthed?

Comments?
Old 14-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin
As the people who speak in tongues do not know what they are actually saying is it not just part of an emotional roller coasting ride? What I mean, isn't there something happening underneath, and the speaking in tongues is just a pointer to this happening?
If this interpretation is correct, why the emphasis on the speaking in tongues and nothing on what happens underneath?

As it is called a gift, let me use that imagery. Talking in tongues is the wrapping paper but not the real gift. Why get excited about and wrapped up in (pun intended) the wrapping paper?

Comments?
Ah Rin I like it you are full of questions.

I am going to have to answer you from a christians perspective on this, which is my only concept of tongues.

As it is called a gift, let me use that imagery. Talking in tongues is the wrapping paper but not the real gift.

The the big gift is salvation via christ. The external manifestation of the infilling of the holy spirit is the visible gifts, tongues being one of those gifts.

All gifts given by the holy spirit are others focussed. wisdom, teaching, helping, prophecy etc. They are given to help build other people up. which in turn always makes you feel better.

Why get excited about and wrapped up in (pun intended) the wrapping paper?

Lol I dont and most christians don't make a is a gift with a correct time and place for its application. its a tool for a purpose.

Why someone might be excited?

When it happens to a believer It may feel like a supernatural confirmation the holy spirit is real and therefore God is a living God.
For them Tongues might be a form of praise to god. they are worshipping the way they choose. Its a personal thing there.

The big gift- eternal life in the future and life with Christ now!

step 1-

You pray to God via Jesus and renounce sin and your old life and accept Jesus as lord and saviour who died in place of you so you can be put right with god through faith.

step 2- Soon after the holy spirit comes on you in a noticeable way which will be the first of many times and might give you a glow like you may have never known. most people I know enter a life changing positive supernatural real experience. Its much more than physical or mental. Lots of strange coincidences start to occur as God uses you and other people to make good things happen.

A transformation begins..

A new christian needs to be given gifts to undertake the journey. thats what the gifts of the spirit are and why they come when the holy spirit enters you either mildly or dramatically.

Its all kind of a constant reminder the holy spirit is accompanying you. It encourages the believer.

I guess this is why they call it the Good news of the gospel.
Old 14-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Rin

That is a fairly comprehensive reply. Thanks.
Old 15-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Juanita

well no disrespect intended, but it sounds like a form of mass hysteria........
Old 15-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Kaceykat

... I once heard a Southern Baptist church singing in tongues and it sounded like a choir of angels, all peace, and interlocking harmonies, and yet all unrehearsed. Just worshipping together, not hysterical at all. Beautiful. I was amazed.

I'm a New England Catholic so it's not like I'm rooting for my own team here :)
Old 16-03-2012, 03:40 AM
shareunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaceykat
... I once heard a Southern Baptist church singing in tongues and it sounded like a choir of angels, all peace, and interlocking harmonies, and yet all unrehearsed. Just worshipping together, not hysterical at all. Beautiful. I was amazed.

I'm a New England Catholic so it's not like I'm rooting for my own team here :)

Sounds crazyyy!!!!! :)