Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 18-06-2019, 10:29 AM
Master

Morality vs Experience

Had a bit of a download today...or some kind of opening. I'd just like to know if anyone has any information or views they'd like to share regarding ...what i perceived.

I thought of an emotion such as anger ...and put it into its 'Right' and 'Wrong' categories. What you have heard from a teacher or a parent growing up ..oh thats terrible and that's right and thats wrong etc. etc. ...That kinda discourse. So I had a very deep knowing today before or during my meditation or even after that those instructions about anger usually come under the category of
'Morality and Ethics' within civilised society and religions etc. have not been very ineffectual in my life. I say not very ineffectual in my life regarding things like anger. Knowing that anger is wrong but not been able to control or stop that anger etc. based on the knowledge passed down to me of right and wrong etc.

But today I had a download as i say that 'negative' emotions are wrong only in the sense that they lead you or take you away from your centre, the centre of your being. They lead you somewhere for hours. days, lifetimes who knows
And on that basis they are wrong. Not because society doesnt agree or judges this emotion to be unworthy etc. ? Anyone any views on this ?

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Old 18-06-2019, 10:51 AM
Deactivated Account
Hello.

Your musings remind me of when I learnt the origin of the word 'sin' as it was intended...
Sin as a 'miss step' (away from core self/ God self).

I like that definition of sin... It makes more sense to me on a personal level.
Right Vs wrong on a very personal level makes me think of this particular definition of sin.

Anger is an interesting example as anger in my experience of it can be a feeling which either encourages me towards love or pushes me away from it. There is a choice somewhere in the mix.

Perhaps the 'sin' or 'wrong' doing is the actions or e-motions which subsequently follow the initial feeling... Causing it to have motion either away from core self/core love.

I was having similar thought processes with shame and anger myself a week or so back and used compassion as my vehicle to take a step to the 'right' towards my core self.

Have a nice day/night.

Aria.
Old 18-06-2019, 02:36 PM
Master

An easy way is to contemplate right vs wrong as consciousness expansion vs contraction as in a sustained emotion assimilated as related to corresponding thought entertained and indulged in. What vibrations bring about inner alignment?

Old 18-06-2019, 03:51 PM
Master

On this topic I would recommend reading the essay entitled,

“Standards of Conduct and Spiritual Freedom”

Chapter VII in Part I of Sri Aurobindo’s “The Synthesis of Yoga”,
available here in PDF format:
https://www.sriaurobindoashram.org/s...o/writings.php
Scroll down to Vol 23-24 after linking.

Excerpts:
Quote:
All our opinions, standards, formations, principles are only attempts to represent in this broken, reflecting and distorting mirror something of the universal and progressive total action and its many-sided movement towards some ultimate self-revelation of the Divine.
Quote:
…there is in the cosmos, in the collectivity, in the individual, a rooted instinct or belief in its own perfectibility, a constant drive towards an ever increasing and more adequate and more harmonious self-development nearer to the secret truth of things. This effort is represented to the constructing mind of man by standards of knowledge, feeling, character, aesthesis and action,—rules, ideals, norms and laws that he essays to turn into universal dharmas.
Quote:
…all standards by which we may seek to govern our conduct are only our temporary, imperfect and evolutive attempts to represent to ourselves our stumbling mental progress in the universal self-realisation towards which Nature moves. But the divine manifestation cannot be bound by our little rules and fragile sanctities; for the consciousness behind it is too vast for these things. Once we have grasped this fact, disconcerting enough to the absolutism of our reason, we shall better be able to put in their right place in regard to each other the successive standards that govern the different stages in the growth of the individual and the collective march of mankind.

Hope this is helpful.

~ J

Old 18-06-2019, 04:01 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc
'Morality and Ethics' within civilised society and religions etc. have not been very ineffectual in my life. I say not very ineffectual in my life regarding things like anger. Knowing that anger is wrong but not been able to control or stop that anger etc. based on the knowledge passed down to me of right and wrong etc.

But today I had a download as i say that 'negative' emotions are wrong only in the sense that they lead you or take you away from your centre, the centre of your being. They lead you somewhere for hours. days, lifetimes who knows

Anyone any views on this ?
I agree. This information has always been there. It always been true but not seen. My own view is, they were not wrong but upon the right time we can say, I understand what they said now. I see it. Anger is an emotion, anger is very energetic and powerful, it is extremely intense. For those who experience anger we crave it's intensity. There is in fact much more to learn. It takes us away from our center and becomes the center because of the way it feels and makes one feel. Anger is used to express anger which also means it is based on intention. One can also experience how anger feels to the body, the body does not like it. I take this to be meaningful as well. This is a universal law and universal morality not just society or religion. I tend to look at it this way, if I had told myself this before would I have believed it? This is knowledge the body gives as well if one listens. With this being said, this knowledge even allows us to see anger that others do not see.
Old 18-06-2019, 04:10 PM
ImthatIm

Anger: This is only a symptom of an underlying fault in character.

When anger arises it is a good practice to locate it's root.

In my experience the root has been some form of self-centered desire or fear.
Old 19-06-2019, 12:42 AM
Master
Quote:
Had a bit of a download today...or some kind of opening. I'd just like to know if anyone has any information or views they'd like to share regarding ...what i perceived.

I thought of an emotion such as anger ...and put it into its 'Right' and 'Wrong' categories. What you have heard from a teacher or a parent growing up ..oh thats terrible and that's right and thats wrong etc. etc. ...That kinda discourse. So I had a very deep knowing today before or during my meditation or even after that those instructions about anger usually come under the category of

And on that basis they are wrong. Not because society doesnt agree or judges this emotion to be unworthy etc. ? Anyone any views on this ?

Everything we feel is an opportunity to source yourself deeper/clearer. Distractions giving reasons to feelings are just that, distractions. Society, parents create all manner of pacts, arrangements, ideas about what we feel as children. Ever seen a child in full blown two year old reactive anger/tantrums. If they are given safe space, protection to them and others, allowed to feel it, it’s done and dusted in no time. Parents created distractions as to not deal, not feel how they feel in the face of it. Believing anger was bad and wrong to feel. Children are great teachers on how to feel fully. Pays to listen to them and your own inner child. Most angry people are those who haven’t been allowed to feel that fullness as children.

Feeling without name or cause, strong emotions, can pass faster just by staying present and letting the fullness be released.
Old 19-06-2019, 12:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
Anger: This is only a symptom of an underlying fault in character.

When anger arises it is a good practice to locate it's root.

In my experience the root has been some form of self-centered desire or fear.

Often beneath anger at its root, is sadness related to loss in some form.
Old 19-06-2019, 06:16 AM
Master
Anger is not wrong, it is what we do with anger that may make it right or wrong. It sounds like your upbringing or moral
programming has taught you it is "bad" to get angry, and in American, and some other cultures, most people are afraid of anger.
Actually they are afraid of what can come out of anger. But anger is a natural human emotion.

Anger can be healthy if you find a safe release for it. A sport, a hobby, a physical exercise, or something else that can help you
safely release your anger, might be used on a regular basis. People who don't know how to handle their anger usually have anger
outbursts.

Most people do not know the difference between being aggressive and being assertive. A person who is effectively assertive will
have less aggressive experiences; they most likely will not display anger on a regular basis. But a lot of males will go straight to
being aggressive bypassing being assertive. Being assertive is preferable to being aggressive.

Anger comes from stored up unexpressed feelings. Feelings that were not directly expressed to the target can make a person
agitated, and that agitation can build up and over spill into displaced anger. What I am sharing here is from my experience of having
worked in the healthcare field for many decades. I am now retired but I gathered a large knowledge base and skill base over a period
of more than 40-years.

Anger is not the problem rather the problem is how we fail to handle anger. A psychological model of patho-genisus: An unmet need if
left unmet long enough can become painful, pain if unaddressed can turn into anger, anger can turn into rage, and rage can become a
behavior problem. This is a very general basic view of how emotions can turn into pathology.

I would recommend that you find a healthy, and safe, outlet for your anger. Running or some other type of vigorous exercise works for
lots of people. Stay away from alcohol when you are angry and also stay away from the moralizing when you are angry. Don't lay a guilt
trip on your self because you got angry, rather take some safe option to address it. Learn how to assert your self in a polite way before
the anger builds up; this is a proactive way to decrease your anger. Good luck.
Old 19-06-2019, 07:59 AM
Master
Quote:

Hi Joe.

Well said.

I am not going to say that anger isn't bad because lots of bad stuff happens and people get harmed when people get mad. Most people think we have to express our emotions, or otherwise, repress them, but we don't. It's simply true this emotion feels like this, and soon enough it changes and passes away.