Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 30-04-2018, 03:41 PM
Newbie ;)

My Take on Truth, Science, and Spirituality

We think what we think is truth. It’s what we know and all we know. We don’t know what we don’t know beyond it so we take it as complete truth. It’s the infrastructure supporting our actions and beliefs. Our brains live our thinking by acting on it and by believing its conclusions. We trust our head truth.

But our heads are no more than picture galleries, and while we think the paintings on the walls show us reality, they’re incomplete and all bear the ridges of our own brushstrokes. How can we know what is outside the gallery? How can we know Truth?

Our heads reach outside the gallery by groping (in the original sense of the word). Our five senses are the hands. The problem is that our hands take in only what they touch so what they take in is markedly incomplete. Then the image of what’s taken in is filtered through our brains which add their own distortions. Each image is Photoshopped to fit the inclinations of our personal history, to avoid whatever is inside that’s too painful to face, and to serve our subconscious needs. Only then is the painting hung. The picture-gallery head truth is not an infallible representation of Truth.

So with head truth’s imperfections, we need to learn what we can from body truth. Head truth comes from the process of (not always so) logical reasoning. Body truth comes from the gut, bypassing the head’s analysis. Examples of body truth are intuition, impulsiveness, and creativity. But the breakdown is that bringing a body truth to consciousness puts it through the same brain distortions that filter head truths, and the filters can alter and even create their own convictions. Body truth is even less infallible than head truth.

Science doesn’t know what Truth is either. Science doesn’t even try to know Truth. Science builds models that represent truth. Science can't say what reality is. All it can know is how effective its models are in predicting physical behavior. Models of matter have advanced from thinking of it as mixtures of earth, water, air, and fire in various proportions to believing matter is made up of quarks. But it still can’t answer, and will never be able to answer the fundamental question, “What is a quark, really?”

The brain functions the same way science does. The universe doesn't exist inside our heads, so neither can reality. A brain can only represent reality through beliefs that come from our experience. These beliefs are picture-gallery models of reality, not reality itself. Neither science nor the human brain will ever know reality or truth. Neither will ever be able to solve the ultimate mystery of, “What is it, really?”

Science has models for why people believe in supernatural phenomena, but as far as I know, there are no scientific models to explain the supernatural phenomena themselves. Asking, “What is it, really?” about the supernatural hasn’t even reached the earth, water, air, fire stage. But though no one has found a way to validate supernatural phenomena, that doesn’t mean a way won’t be found. The phenomena may just be particularly elusive, like the Higgs boson and gravity waves proved to be.

Because of this, it’s impossible to prove any one person’s belief is more valid than anyone else’s. Being dogmatic is inappropriate under these circumstances and doesn’t serve. Remaining flexible in our own opinions and tolerant of others’ does serve. It helps find a deeper understanding of what we do believe. Even if the supernatural realm is no more than a human construct, there is something to be gained from exploring it. The payoff is insight into the human, and personal, condition.

The payoff of science is knowledge. The payoff of spirituality is wisdom. Having the experiences and asking the questions without expecting answers can be an effective path to wisdom. It may be that by its very nature, the supernatural can’t be explored scientifically. Maybe it’s meant to remain a mystery. But exploring the mystery can still bring wisdom.

I’ve had several paranormal experiences, the basis for three of which could be labeled precognition, astrology, and reincarnation. While I can’t be sure these labels provide an accurate explanation, I do believe there is something behind the curtain that cast the shadows I saw. I believe all truth does come down to physics. It’s just that my physics textbook is bigger than the ones in the universities, and some of the pages have yet to be written.

This is an overview of two articles I’ve written. I’m still a newbie so I can’t publish them here on SF yet. I also have some fundamental questions about publishing SF Articles. More mysteries, the contemplation of which may bring me wisdom as well. ;-)
Old 06-06-2018, 07:38 PM
Knower

Thank you for sharing your wisdom!!
Old 11-06-2018, 04:15 AM
Seeker
Wonderfully developed metaphor and beautiful imagery; I'm sure your articles will be well received.

I wonder where we came up with the idea of absolute truth anyway?

At the end of the day that's what it is, a theoretical supposition there to be verified or disproven.

It seems that absolute truth will ultimately be "head truth," at least until we discover that it isn't!
Old 11-06-2018, 11:38 AM
Master

BeboNow

I'm with you here. Maybe not all the way but a good deal of the way.

As a boy (I was about ten) playing in the street in London I suddenly became aware that the world surrounding me - the houses, road, asphalt, trees, in fact the whole of the everyday world as it appeared to me at that moment wasn't real. This knowledge, or rather the failing knowledge embedded itself into my very soul (so to speak). This moment of separation from 'normality' started me on a path to discover what life really is all about.

Like yourself I've had quite a number of paranormal or supernatural experiences although in contrast to yourself I look upon them as being normal but just lying outside of that which we at the moment 'know'.
However, you do say that the truth comes down to physics so you do basically (my assumption) think that there is more of this physical appearing world that meets the eye.

Personally I'm convinced that minds (human and animal at least) are completely underestimated in their power. Most of us, say 99.99%, don't know how to cross this barrier we call normal, eastern philosophy calls crossing this barrier 'enlightenment', that moment of transcending that which we recognise as being normal.

This gives me great hope. https://futurism.com/videos/brain-ha...cious-reality/
Old 12-06-2018, 11:27 PM
Master
Thank you BeboNow for the thread and Busby for posting that great video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
Personally I'm convinced that minds (human and animal at least) are completely underestimated in their power. Most of us, say 99.99%, don't know how to cross this barrier we call normal, eastern philosophy calls crossing this barrier 'enlightenment', that moment of transcending that which we recognise as being normal.

From the video:
Quote:
Our conscious experiences of the world around us and ourselves within it are kinds of controlled hallucinations.
Instead of perception depending largely on signals coming into the brain from the outside world, it depends as much, if not more on perceptual predictions flowing in the opposite direction.
We don’t just passively perceive the world, we actively generate it.
Perception = a kind of controlled hallucination.
When we agree about our hallucinations, we call that Reality.

Or maybe one could say that Reality is but a reflection of our “collective controlled hallucination”.
Aren’t “predictions flowing in the opposite direction” akin to a “Morphic Field” type of behaviour, where we find resonance – functionality within the ‘predictable’ patterns created by our particular (cultural) version of the collective controlled dream (making)?

Why do you Busby say: “This gives me great hope.” ?
Old 13-06-2018, 04:06 AM
Guide

You have exceptional writing skills, a wonderful, pleasing aesthetic way of wording and communicating your ideas. Artist? Very beautifully written. You painted a colorful pictorial dialogue with words...that’s real talent.
Old 13-06-2018, 06:34 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
Thank you BeboNow for the thread and Busby for posting that great video!

Why do you Busby say: “This gives me great hope.” ?

For centuries mankind worldwide has scrabbled in the mud of ignorance. We have devised many forms of religion and philosophy seeking a way to explain the seeming impossibility of being here. At least we had those eastern philosophies which told us that the world is an illusion, a standpoint based on empirical experience over ages.

So my hope is that this video will be the among the first of many which will open the way to a new understanding of 'things'. I can certainly accord with it and see how many puzzling events in my life could be explained.
Old 14-06-2018, 01:55 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
BeboNow

I'm with you here. Maybe not all the way but a good deal of the way.

As a boy (I was about ten) playing in the street in London I suddenly became aware that the world surrounding me - the houses, road, asphalt, trees, in fact the whole of the everyday world as it appeared to me at that moment wasn't real. This knowledge, or rather the failing knowledge embedded itself into my very soul (so to speak). This moment of separation from 'normality' started me on a path to discover what life really is all about.

Like yourself I've had quite a number of paranormal or supernatural experiences although in contrast to yourself I look upon them as being normal but just lying outside of that which we at the moment 'know'.
However, you do say that the truth comes down to physics so you do basically (my assumption) think that there is more of this physical appearing world that meets the eye.

Fascinating TED video, thanks for posting the link. But at the end he says "when consciousness ends there's no need for feat at all". I'm in the school that holds that consciousness is eternal so that last statement doesn't hold with me.
Old 14-06-2018, 06:51 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARDAV70
Fascinating TED video, thanks for posting the link. But at the end he says "when consciousness ends there's no need for feat at all". I'm in the school that holds that consciousness is eternal so that last statement doesn't hold with me.

I personally understood that he meant exactly that in his last sentence. In my imagination I see individual consciousnesses as being small bundles of energy contained in collection of patterns taking on a continuing series of 'shapes' formed by the 'twirling' motion of the main pattern - one which is accordingly in a state of change. This change could be compared to karma - something formed by random causes.
Old 14-06-2018, 05:45 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
I personally understood that he meant exactly that in his last sentence. In my imagination I see individual consciousnesses as being small bundles of energy contained in collection of patterns taking on a continuing series of 'shapes' formed by the 'twirling' motion of the main pattern - one which is accordingly in a state of change. This change could be compared to karma - something formed by random causes.
Lol, I guess we simply understand the statement differently, adding that at this stage I don't think either of us is right or wrong. I don't think anyone has clear understanding of consciousness yet, but I think humankind will get there some day. I suspect we're on a course of a spiritual "reset" and we're at the very first step, and in sharing our thoughts we are opening up acceptance of receiving more knowledge.
I suspect that the Ages (Gold, silver, bronze, iron) have to do with how much we're in tune with consciousness. I suspect it, but don't "know" or "believe" it and very likely won't in this life, in this Age (iron). When the epiphany on consciousness is reached, I suspect we'll all know it.