Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 13-02-2018, 11:13 AM
Master
I just thought of a way ego can hinder the spirit. If you have the answer right in front of you but the ego stops you from seeing it.
Old 13-02-2018, 03:07 PM
boshy b. good

Quote:
when ego hinder spirit.
live and let die, live and let
live. because that got good
(with peace). unless remedy
come "possibly"

i don't see no hind with that.

Quote:
we love what and
who makes sense
.. adds up ..
we love what and who
makes sense, carries
and on ..

Quote:
no. not hinder but that's squash
Old 13-02-2018, 05:08 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstars
No....

shiningstars

Yes

Just so you know others see it differently.

IMO, we are trying to separate the level of the equivalent of I (AM) into two separate consciousness forms where one knows the other, maybe both. Again, this is based on my thought of multidimensional aspect of soul (consciousness), being in two places at once.
Old 13-02-2018, 05:26 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstars
Ramana Maharshi

It is the ego itself which makes an effort to get rid of itself, so how can it die? If the ego is to go, then something else must kill it.

If I may I'd like to relay an experience. Logically you are correct, but as was pointed out in relation to mind developing, the idea of dying is developed from some thing. The ego (may) want to change but on it's terms as is implied, but change itself is (like) death. It (can) feel that way. The ego part of self fears it will go away, it will no longer be especially in terms on HS. The ego side, the body and all its barriers. It is often said it requires letting go of the ego, killing it. The words we use (from the start) are probably not very good either. You are really a thought anyway, what is perceived.

Now the ego may want to change but this takes a long time, idk. The ego will protect itself, that is our survival instinct. Alls I can say is I did not want to become something else, this would be like death of me. I myself have used the word death of ego to which feels like it. The concept of the ego imo is in the brain, but the ego is not really the"ego" We seem to want to make it out there are two separate consciousnesses, not just one because it seems that way for sure. It could be the language of fear of our first intention we pick up on, as much as cause and effect in how we say it.

Here I merely want to share the experience of what I felt as I thought about it. The thought was the experience. Now I will say I use to have loads of fear before now.
Old 14-02-2018, 12:30 AM
Ascender

The following is a suggestion. To see what is called "the ego" as being a fall-back mechanism used by the mind in an attempt to provide a sense of significance as an affirmation of being, and being obliged to do so by use of self comparing measure,---more than, greater than, etc.
I think the mind needs affirmation of being for complete and proper function-mental, physical and emotional. Such affirmation will ideally result from the appropriate nurture and wise unconditional loving acceptance from carers during formative years.
The desire for such acceptance is strong, and if it is felt that it is not received, or for some reason not able to be received, then the mind seeks to compensate I think, but can only do so from within itself by the means roughly described in the opening paragraph.
The energy required to do this is constant and considerable, and also very likely generates a perspective of existence at odds with that which might otherwise be experienced.
There is no question I think of the use of this fall-back mechanism being right or wrong. Doing so is simply a consequence,--a consequence which does however lead to further consequence/s.
If it is felt that such consequence/s are detrimental to either or both the individual and society at large the way to alter such consequence/s involves understanding the root causes rather than judgemental prohibition, and then providing that necessary affirmation by means of consent and wise and mutual support so that the fall back mechanism becomes redundant, discarded.

petex
Old 14-02-2018, 08:25 AM
Lorelyen

Look, it's like this (I bin lookin up notes).

Ego happens in the prefrontal cortex of the brain. It has to call upon info from many other parts to present a context (which includes details of the situation plus risks associated with various outcomes taken from past experience if you have it (inc what the limbic has to offer) all brought into working memory in the pre-frontal. The orbitofrontal cortex warns of socially embarrassing actions. (I think some of that comes from the anterior cingulate cortex but that's a vague marginal note I made.)

On that basis your response is decided. Your behaviour and reaction to it are fed back to the areas the info originated from, modulating what’s there.

So it looks like you're in trouble at any level if your frontal lobe is shut down. You can't stop it working. Unless I'm wildly out that's the anatomy of it.
Old 14-02-2018, 08:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
Look, it's like this (I bin lookin up notes).

Ego happens in the prefrontal cortex of the brain. It has to call upon info from many other parts to present a context (which includes details of the situation plus risks associated with various outcomes taken from past experience if you have it (inc what the limbic has to offer) all brought into working memory in the pre-frontal. The orbitofrontal cortex warns of socially embarrassing actions. (I think some of that comes from the anterior cingulate cortex but that's a vague marginal note I made.)

On that basis your response is decided. Your behaviour and reaction to it are fed back to the areas the info originated from, modulating what’s there.

So it looks like you're in trouble at any level if your frontal lobe is shut down. You can't stop it working. Unless I'm wildly out that's the anatomy of it.

By this notion would everything spiritual not just come from the brain?

Essentially we use the brain to steer the ship - if we are also contemplating the soul & that it exists beyond the physical body then by that standard the "ego" could also exist.

I have no dog in the fight but I find the topic interesting since - again I have no ego in the spiritual sense as far as I am concerned anyway. I have said previously that I only identify as "I" for others convenience & communication ....

But nobody had a response to that one ....

"I am your creation.
Now, as before - you criticise your own work."

- Legacy Of Kain
Old 14-02-2018, 09:00 AM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightoflenity
By this notion would everything spiritual not just come from the brain?

Essentially we use the brain to steer the ship - if we are also contemplating the soul & that it exists beyond the physical body then by that standard the "ego" could also exist.

I have no dog in the fight but I find the topic interesting since - again I have no ego in the spiritual sense as far as I am concerned anyway. I have said previously that I only identify as "I" for others convenience & communication ....

But nobody had a response to that one ....

Whatever you say but whatever gets to the body, it's spirituality, has to get into the brain somewhere. Even if just to be recognised, to be able to act on the rest of what we do. I agree there are mysteries yet to be "solved" in that there's some kind of 6th sense that picks up seemingly metaphysical signals, events, whatever. And allows us to discharge energies through supernatural media... I'm working on it!

I do have a response to your closing line. It doesn't make sense. To be aware of not having an ego stems from awareness (perceptions that may expect a behavioural response) and they require an ego.
Old 14-02-2018, 09:48 AM
Master
Quote:
I'm working on it! .

A nice, honest answer - I like that about your posts.

Quote:
I do have a response to your closing line. It doesn't make sense. To be aware of not having an ego stems from awareness (perceptions that may expect a behavioural response) and they require an ego.

Now your thinking yourself into circles

Ego via brain yes.

Ego (The I maker) via soul nope.

I interact on the terms of humanity being (sub)human As I said previously my name, gender, skill set all given or assessed by others.

I even had a perfect gurgle language before someone repeated new words enough to indoctrinate me.

I have to say I otherwise - everyone else becomes confused or upset when a statement is made.

Does soul knight identify as this person when I awaken or does it begin the moment I interact with others using me,my, I am.

Even you Lorelyen are insisting that I must have a brain ego (bekuz rules) so I cannot escape classification or assessment even when it's purely a disembodied voice of thoughts using a keyboard to communicate.

Many a Buddhist for example or "new ager" has espoused that the Soul ego should not want for objects - just be - well that is me!

It's genuinely interesting & I can certainly see the odd blurred line between brain & soul ego.

shoni7510 put it similarly - Ego is the Mind while the Self is the Consciousness/soul/spirit

I bet you still don't get me do you?

It almost seems as though your focused on "the brain" as an answer for everything we do - whilst true it still seems odd taking that stance on a spirituality forum & you have shown interest in Voodoo previously?

"I am your creation.
Now, as before - you criticise your own work."

- Legacy Of Kain

Last edited by Raziel : 14-02-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 14-02-2018, 01:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Whatever you say but whatever gets to the body, it's spirituality, has to get into the brain somewhere. Even if just to be recognised, to be able to act on the rest of what we do. I agree there are mysteries yet to be "solved" in that there's some kind of 6th sense that picks up seemingly metaphysical signals, events, whatever. And allows us to discharge energies through supernatural media... I'm working on it!

The funny thing about the brain is that we only use about 10% of it. I am sure the rest of it is more than just to take up space. Hhhmmmmm. Just a thought there's people who use more of there brain but the majority of them people are in mental hospitals or prisons.