Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 14-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Trieah

Would it be too much trouble to ask for a link to this particular thread in question, so that I may see what's going on for myself?
Old 14-04-2012, 10:40 PM
res

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trieah
First, you're going to have to narrow down your definition of "encourage". Because that can mean several different things right there.

Now, if you're talking about the kind of encouragement that Occultist spoke about, where people encourage others to jump off a building. Or who would come up to a person out of the blue and say something like, "Hey, I got a great idea. Why don't you just kill yourself and then all your problems will be solved." Then yeah, I would be more inclined to agree with you.

No im not talking about "Suggesting" suicide, im talking about "Encouraging" suicide. Here are the dictionary meaning so i can be clear and you can answer clearly.

en·courag·er n.
Synonyms: encourage, animate, cheer, embolden, hearten, inspirit
These verbs mean to impart courage, inspiration, and resolution to: encouraged the athlete to compete; played music to animate the crowd; a visitor cheering the patient; was emboldened to sing for the guests; praise that heartened us; a pep talk that inspirited the weary team.

suicide
n suicide [ˈsuːisaid]
1 the/an act of killing oneself deliberately She committed suicide; an increasing number of suicides.
2 a person who kills himself deliberately.
3 inclined to suicide She sometimes feels suicidal.
4 extremely dangerous, or likely to lead to death or disaster.

To further elaborate on the dictionary meanings in my words i would ask:

Under what circumstances is it ok to "impart courage, inspiration, and resolution" to someone that is voicing that they are considering "the/an act of killing oneself deliberately" or living a life that would be more "likely to lead to an early death"?

I cant be any clearer or well defined than this. I'm not debating if suicide is acceptable under certain circumstances.

Quote:
So, in taking that stance, questioning someone to the extent that they must think of all the pros and cons, in a way, is also a form of encouragement. It just depends on how that person reacts to it, by finalizing whether it truly is worth it or not.

Please dont feel that you have to answer my question, you have chosen to participate in my thread and offer your view and i am mearly interested in fully understanding your point of view. This issue is very confronting i know.
Old 14-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Quagmire

Trieah; if it was not was because I have loved you from the start of my existence, I would surely love you for the spirit you put into this thread.

For myself: Two of those who are in my life today was the ones behind my death in my last lifetime, which was planned to be my last as human. And I know that one of the reasons why I chose my life for this lifetime was because it was supposed to end in suicide (or an early death) so those who killed me in my last life could feel remorse for what they had done, in order for them to grow. Right now I am on what me and my spirit guides call Plan B. I do not expect anyone to understand this and how much of a sacrifice I have made (and still do) in this lifetime for two persons who cheated me out of ending my incarnations as human.
Old 14-04-2012, 11:43 PM
res

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTerra
It is my believe--concerning underage participants of SF--that the responsibility lies with their parents.

Parents should be involved with the online participation of their children and have frank and open discussions with their young ones--regarding the SpiritualBeliefs of their own family unit.

I (personally) would not allow my 14 year old to visit message boards of any kind--because people are apt to post their individual views.

I raised (5) children and was completely involved in their music, television, movie, video game, and internet choices--until they came of age and left home.

We cant watch our kids 24/7 no matter how good a parent we are. If your child wants to explore avenues without you knowing they will find a way.

Quote:
That being said--I have read the entire thread (in question) and still maintain that (IMO) no one has advocated suicide.

Quote:
Many have chosen to live lives and pursue careers that place them outside the general idea of safety and prudent lifestyles.

Our Firefighters, Police Officers, and Military Personnel--to name a few--place their lives and the futures of their children in jeopardy--in the line of duty--everyday.

Some would see this as a death wish.

Wouldnt that depend on their intentions are? What these people do is admirable but i doubt that when they wake up they say " yeah today i am going to take more risks at work and live a life that will more likely lead to an early death. Maybe some do and in my opnion those people that voice their intent in this manner and based on the dictionary definitions would be considered suicidal.

BTW i loved Evil Kenievel as a child, did he suggest that he was taking high level risks to end his life early? I believe his stunts were with the intention of "defying death" rather than taking risks with the "intention of increasing the chances of death". Intention is the key word here.

Quote:
Concerning the point of this thread--I still maintain that no one has been encouraged to harm themselves in any way--in my humble opinion.

I dont believe that it is possible to be 100% sure that no one has been/felt personally encouraged by something.
Old 15-04-2012, 12:30 AM
res

Quote:
Would it be too much trouble to ask for a link to this particular thread in question, so that I may see what's going on for myself?

This thread is becoming complex enough as it is without jumping to and from other threads aswell. I dont want to confuse the issue more than it already has been. My concerns are based on what i have seen in numerous threads over time. To point out just one would not be fair.

Im suggesting that we could incorporate general preventative measures and supplying resources for those that may be considering a form of suicide regardless of how sensational peoples spiritual ideas and concepts may be. Its not up to me to point fingers at individuals and dish out punishment.

Im looking toward the future and raising awareness to something that affected me personally within the forums and made me consider the ideas of others that ending my life may be an attractive proposition.
Old 15-04-2012, 12:44 AM
CatChild

Res, for what it's worth, you sound like a great father and husband. You also hold a great deal of care for those here on the forum.

I haven't read all the posts because honestly it's just too much to sit through with my limited time, but I get the gist...

Just wanted to state that to you here and give you the acknowledgment you deserve.

~ C.
Old 15-04-2012, 12:51 AM
Trieah

Quote:
Originally Posted by res
Im looking toward the future and raising awareness to something that affected me personally within the forums and made me consider the ideas of others that ending my life may be an attractive proposition.

Wait. Don't you mean their life??? So are you now saying that some of the things members here have said, has made you think suicide is an attractive proposition???
Old 15-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Trieah

Quote:
Originally Posted by res
To further elaborate on the dictionary meanings in my words i would ask:

Under what circumstances is it ok to "impart courage, inspiration, and resolution" to someone that is voicing that they are considering "the/an act of killing oneself deliberately" or living a life that would be more "likely to lead to an early death"?

I cant be any clearer or well defined than this. I'm not debating if suicide is acceptable under certain circumstances.

Well it does seem like we're splitting hairs on this subject But if a person is already voicing their thoughts about killing them self deliberately, wouldn't anyone else who was voicing their thoughts in favor of such behavior, be more or less collaborating with the idea, and not truly being the encouraging force behind discussing the act of self murder, since the person who made the favorable remarks was not the one who inspired the conversation in the first place?

col·lab·o·rate
1. To work together, especially in a joint intellectual effort.
2. To cooperate treasonably, as with an enemy occupation force in one's country.
3. (often foll by on, with, etc.) to work with another or others on a joint project
4. to cooperate as a traitor, esp with an enemy occupying one's own country

Now I may be wrong about this, but something like standing at the bottom of a building, chanting, cheering and egging someone on to jump to their death, would seem more like encouragement. Where as talking favorably about suicide and giving suggestions as to how to go about it, after a suicidal person had brought the subject up, is more of a collaboration between those two or more persons who are in favor of such an act.

So in this new code of conduct we're trying to hash out, are we discouraging encouragement, or discouraging collaboration?
Old 15-04-2012, 02:01 AM
res

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatChild
Res, for what it's worth, you sound like a great father and husband. You also hold a great deal of care for those here on the forum.

I haven't read all the posts because honestly it's just too much to sit through with my limited time, but I get the gist...

Just wanted to state that to you here and give you the acknowledgment you deserve.

~ C.

Thanks catchild i really appreciate it.
Old 15-04-2012, 02:07 AM
Trieah

I do second what CatChild said about you by the way. Res you are a very compassionate person, that much is obvious. And I'd be proud to have you backing me up with positive support when I'd need it the most I do hope that our friendly debate isn't tainting your view of me though. Truly, I like being challenged in my views because it helps to give me new things to think about.