Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 14-06-2011, 07:27 PM
green

what is the meaning of the snail?

on the 9 of pentacles, in the smith-waite deck there is a little snail. as much as i looked around, i didn't find any references for the meaning of the snail.
all i have is what i came up with, some animal meaning and interpretations, some personal insights and thoughts, but i couldn't find any formal or in the books reference for it - any knowledge there?

thanks

G
Old 17-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by green
on the 9 of pentacles, in the smith-waite deck there is a little snail. as much as i looked around, i didn't find any references for the meaning of the snail.
all i have is what i came up with, some animal meaning and interpretations, some personal insights and thoughts, but i couldn't find any formal or in the books reference for it - any knowledge there?

thanks

G

Hi green,

I think the snail means literally to SLOW DOWN. In receiving this card, the snail could be saying whatever you have to do, do it more slowly. If you accept your past and live in the present, and do not stress or struggle with the slowness of it all, the insight you gain will carry you into the future of your choice.

Another thought that just came to me.....patiently, quietly and conscientiously pave the way for future success...
Old 23-06-2011, 07:38 AM
green

thanks rav,
i'm must say i'm not quite sure about your interpretation, as there is nothing of haste or fastness in this card,
slow down to enjoy the place you are right now? maybe? maybe?
but 9 of pentacles, is about having time out in a place where you enjoy and feel good at, so there is a kind of slowing down in it...
but thanks again,

G
Old 23-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Ascender

Snail symbol meanings deal with steady footing and stability. Snails carry their homes upon their backs which is symbolic of carrying our security in our hearts. Not only sure of foot snails are also symbols of slow and steady progress. Stability and success do not appear overnight. Rather, success usually comes at a snail's pace.
Old 23-06-2011, 09:22 AM
mattie

Snail Has Multiple Meanings

The 2 animals are interesting. The bird (falcon) perched on the hand may represent prosperity & our connection w/ the higher realms while the snail on the ground represents our connection w/ the both the planetary energies being a ground dwelling creature & the Universe’s sacred geometry (shell).

http://www.crystalinks.com/sacred_geometry.html

The 3 groups of 3 pentagrams are evocative of an upside down tree of life configuration.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

'... Featured in the 9 of Pentacles, we understand stability and success do not appear overnight. Rather, success often comes at a snail's pace. I also love the spiral connotation - that motif found in the shell of the snail. Spirals signify a radiating consciousness, and an inner-centeredness that exudes outwardly. Ideally that brilliant core emits positive change in environment and community.’
http://www.tarotteachings.com/nine-of-pentacles.html

An interesting insight about snails representing whole, merged beings:

‘... Snails are also hermaphrodites, meaning they carry both male and female reproductive organs, so pretty much an all in one package, though they do need to meet up with another snail in order to use them. .’
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=50679

Later in the same link Umbrae discusses the sacred geometry of the snail’s shell. A portion of this discussion-

‘Fibonacci brought back from Egypt the concept of the Zero, that started the Banking Industry in Tuscan in the early eleven hundreds but he is most often remembered for the "Golden Mean.”

The “Golden Mean” was important to occultists of old – proof that God(dess) was found in mathematics.

The Snail represents, and equals 1.618033963.

Which relates to both the Falcon and its handler in myriad of ways.

Begin at your knuckles. Measure the individual finger joints. What is the ratio between them? What is the ratio between the distance from your mouth to chin in relation to the distance from mouth to nose?

What is the size difference between each spiral on a snail cross section?
1.618033963 is referred to as the ‘Golden Ratio’, or Phi (not Pi)…stick with me here

Pythagoras is said to have said, “Numbers rule the universe.” Euclid once said, “The laws of nature are but the mathematical thoughts of God.” ...’
Old 25-06-2011, 09:40 PM
green

thanks Mattie
it looks very interesting, i should take a deeper look into it maybe it will clear things up for me,
thank you for taking the time and posting it all

G