Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 09-01-2017, 02:46 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Necromancer
As for 'goodbye computer forums' I have thought about it too, but then again, if I am going to discipline/regiment myself, going online and onto sites like this one, I can even make a time for doing that, like 1-2 hours every second or third day with no more than 6 hours per week and gradually decrease the time spent online until I can find a comfortable time every time.

I may even say "I am only going to go on SF for one hour before bed, so 9pm - 10pm is 'SF time'. This is better than leaving the site in my taskbar all day, checking up on it every 2 hours or so and replying to what I do for about 4-5 hours straight every day.

With discipline also comes moderation, but yep - free time, I have a LOT of it and the nurse wants to change that and so do I, really.

This year is going to be all about:

1. Meditation and spiritual pursuits
2. Aqua Aerobics
3. Getting my Reiki qualifications
4. Learning Tai Chi
5. Doing Yoga
6. Joining local social groups &
7. Going fishing (don't worry veggie people, there aren't any fish around here).lol

...and a lot of other things besides.

I just have to find things that interest me and that I want to do to fill in that diary/planner thing she's going to bring me in 2 weeks.

So yeah, I said thank you and I don't care for platitudes either - but I am always rummaging around for words to say after somebody is helpful, friendly and offers sound advice. I can say "thank you" I can say "pee off now" or I can say nothing and act like a rude a-hole....so I'd rather say 'thank you'.

So, I shall not thank you for your posts and contribution here as I am aware now that you won't appreciate it.

Don't get me wrong, because appreciation is a deeper thing than gratitude. It's just that I'm not trying to be helpful of give anything and don't want anything, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate you.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Don't get me wrong, because appreciation is a deeper thing than gratitude. It's just that I'm not trying to be helpful of give anything and don't want anything, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate you.
I personally feel that gratitude is deeper than appreciation, but that's just me.

Yep, no giving and getting here, just respect and acknowledgment of your involvement in the conversation. It makes for a welcome change of pace for me.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator
Necromancer, you are not in the military.
Does it really matter what the clock says in order for you to do what you either know is a great idea, or what you feel inspired to do?

Setting a routine every day at a certain time, and setting alarm clocks is certainly a good idea for some people, and is the whole meaning of ritual. Ritual does condition the mind. For some it's best done that way. Others are more spontaneous.

Routines and habits are always looked on as 'healthy'. Why?
What really matters is -get the job done. FEEL it -enough to want to do it. And no matter when or what time it is.

Some people like to go running before it's even got light in the morning!
Other people are better going running at 5pm! Some even go running at midnight!

I have tried the 'going running before the crack of dawn' thing (haha tried to be 'military' about it!) My dog went with me.
Maybe I'm anthropomorphising here, but on our run -about which I was not 100% happy -she glanced at me and I almost heard her say, "Why don't humans run when they feel like it....as dogs do? Instead of treating themselves like this?"
I replied by saying, "Okay let's go back and eat, then sleep a bit longer". She grinned.

Sod the clock. Do your thing. But if you judge that it is a great idea to do a certain thing, or exercise, or meditation, or whatever....then DO it. Do it because you love it, and not because it's 6am or whenever.... but make sure you do keep up whatever it is that is meaningful, healing, or helpful for you. That means repeated efforts -hopefully with some joy.

We all have different body-rhythms, we all have different sleep needs and sleep-wake cycles. What is good for one person at 6am isn't good for another, any more than everyone can eat peanuts!
My brother wakes at 6.30 am every day. My Aunt (in her 80s) doesn't get to bed until 6am! The only 'wrong' thing about that is the unnecessary guilt she feels about being nocturnal, and having a totally different sleep-wake cycle to most other ritually-oriented people her age.

So....so long as you get things done that you know are a good idea, does it matter WHEN they are done?
Love it. Do it because you love it and love yourself.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
Necromancer, you are not in the military.
Does it really matter what the clock says in order for you to do what you either know is a great idea, or what you feel inspired to do?

Setting a routine every day at a certain time, and setting alarm clocks is certainly a good idea for some people, and is the whole meaning of ritual. Ritual does condition the mind. For some it's best done that way. Others are more spontaneous.

Routines and habits are always looked on as 'healthy'. Why?
What really matters is -get the job done. FEEL it -enough to want to do it. And no matter when or what time it is.

Some people like to go running before it's even got light in the morning!
Other people are better going running at 5pm! Some even go running at midnight!

I have tried the 'going running before the crack of dawn' thing (haha tried to be 'military' about it!) My dog went with me.
Maybe I'm anthropomorphising here, but on our run -about which I was not 100% happy -she glanced at me and I almost heard her say, "Why don't humans run when they feel like it....as dogs do? Instead of treating themselves like this?"
I replied by saying, "Okay let's go back and eat, then sleep a bit longer". She grinned.

Sod the clock. Do your thing. But if you judge that it is a great idea to do a certain thing, or exercise, or meditation, or whatever....then DO it. Do it because you love it, and not because it's 6am or whenever.... but make sure you do keep up whatever it is that is meaningful, healing, or helpful for you. That means repeated efforts -hopefully with some joy.

We all have different body-rhythms, we all have different sleep needs and sleep-wake cycles. What is good for one person at 6am isn't good for another, any more than everyone can eat peanuts!
My brother wakes at 6.30 am every day. My Aunt (in her 80s) doesn't get to bed until 6am! The only 'wrong' thing about that is the unnecessary guilt she feels about being nocturnal, and having a totally different sleep-wake cycle to most other ritually-oriented people her age.

So....so long as you get things done that you know are a good idea, does it matter WHEN they are done?
Love it. Do it because you love it and love yourself.
Yeah, but it is something I need to do and I cannot explain why (it's an 'Angel thing').

Maybe I was being too hasty in posting it, because nobody is me and you are right, so I still don't know what I am doing on here if I decide to keep my experiences to myself anyway.

Those voices saying "sod it" and "you don't have to do this" and "you are not in the military" and all of that are the same voices I have been fighting for years now. The ones that keep me locked in a cycle of self-destruction.

The same ones that make me sleep for 14 hours a day, eat garbage, don't do spiritual practice, get angry and annoyed with things, and smoke excessive amounts of cigarettes and weed until I green out really bad, start having panic attacks really bad and feel like I'm gonna die.

I cannot afford to listen to those people who say "do you really need to do this?" 'cause I am like "yes, yes I do!" .

I don't know what it is like for "New Age" meditation, I think they can be more lax because they follow no rules, no scriptures and nothing telling them "you need to do this and that to achieve this and that".

If I was posting this in the Hindu forum and was relating it to "Hindu Meditation" and not "New-Age Meditation" the guidelines are 100% perfectly clear - discipline and routine and ritual are essential for doing things like yoga and meditation.

Still, even though it is my personal saga, others can get out of it what they want, no disrespect, but I am fed up with people giving me the 'lazy option' here because after many years of taking it, I am a complete mess at the point of nervous breakdown and nobody can help except for me, really.

Thank you for replying.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:25 AM
Master
Quote:
I personally feel that gratitude is deeper than appreciation, but that's just me.

Yep, no giving and getting here, just respect and acknowledgment of your involvement in the conversation. It makes for a welcome change of pace for me.

That's great because it lets me be here without something tagged on.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
That's great because it lets me be here without something tagged on.
....and it makes me happy for the fact that you are.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Master
Quote:
Yeah, but it is something I need to do and I cannot explain why (it's an 'Angel thing').

Maybe I was being too hasty in posting it, because nobody is me and you are right, so I still don't know what I am doing on here if I decide to keep my experiences to myself anyway.

Those voices saying "sod it" and "you don't have to do this" and "you are not in the military" and all of that are the same voices I have been fighting for years now. The ones that keep me locked in a cycle of self-destruction.

The same ones that make me sleep for 14 hours a day, eat garbage, don't do spiritual practice, get angry and annoyed with things, and smoke excessive amounts of cigarettes and weed until I green out really bad, start having panic attacks really bad and feel like I'm gonna die.

I cannot afford to listen to those people who say "do you really need to do this?" 'cause I am like "yes, yes I do!" .

I don't know what it is like for "New Age" meditation, I think they can be more lax because they follow no rules, no scriptures and nothing telling them "you need to do this and that to achieve this and that".

If I was posting this in the Hindu forum and was relating it to "Hindu Meditation" and not "New-Age Meditation" the guidelines are 100% perfectly clear - discipline and routine and ritual are essential for doing things like yoga and meditation.

Still, even though it is my personal saga, others can get out of it what they want, no disrespect, but I am fed up with people giving me the 'lazy option' here because after many years of taking it, I am a complete mess at the point of nervous breakdown and nobody can help except for me, really.

Thank you for replying.
Good for you, and I agree with you, as Einstein said (or something like it) the definition of lunacy is to do the same thing all the time and expect things to change.
Old 13-01-2017, 09:32 AM
Master
One good thing about, well, being in 'my position' is that I get to host and stage my own 'spiritual interventions' with all in attendance.

...and so it was, Necro's Soul Council meeting # (I really should start counting these) - attendees: Necro, 2 guides, one angel and God. Item of submission: "Tobi's proposal".

I am still very open minded despite being determined and 'cold turkey' isn't sitting too well right now.

After an hour of debating this thread with all in attendance - God gets to have the 'final say' - well, I do in the end, but only if I agree with Him. LOL

Anyway, it was decided that for 6 days of the week I would be all disciplined and do work on myself, but for one day, I don't have to. I can wake up whenever, eat rubbish, smoke stuff, not do meditation - whatever I want to do as a 'reward' for progress for the other 6 days, and also to go back on the regime the very next day or it is 'all bets off' and cold turkey it is then.

I can compromise in this, then after a couple of months, I can re-assess to see if I want to keep it, lose it or do the 'once a fortnight' thing.

After a month of 'getting in the habit' I should be able to establish certain routines that keep me there.

For now it's "as long as you go to bed before midnight and wake up before eight" so at least that is an improvement.

If I get up earlier, bonus.

I understand what you said Tobi about 'taking it easy' and this reply I got back from my own soul council' so they are cool with it - as long as I am moving in a forward direction, 'one step backwards' doesn't hurt sometimes if I don't fall down.
Old 13-01-2017, 09:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
Necromancer, you are not in the military. Does it really matter what the clock says in order for you to do what you either know is a great idea, or what you feel inspired to do?
My experience:

I cannot get into daily rhythms when my life is out of sync. So I work on eliminating all the annoyances and frustrations in my life, so as to create the peace that I require, in order to get into those rhythms. This anxiety-eliminating process has been years in the making. I consciously set out on this path in 1998. It's only been in the last 2-3 years that I can say I have accomplished what I set out to do. And this isn't just a spiritual list. One important practical aspect was paying off my mortgage and credit cards two years ago so as to be able to live mortgage and debt-free.

Also, and I spoke of this in another thread yesterday: there is an inner-transformation process I experienced many times, that I have come to recognize as my higher self inspiration: This has happened a number of times in my life: I tried to will myself to accomplish this or that task (stop smoking; lose weight), but would always fail. It was only when my higher self inspiration stepped in and took over, that was I able to instantaneously succeed and accomplish what I couldn't will myself to do in months of trying. Just recognizing the reality of this "cosmic will" already puts one in contact with it. Or so it seems given I am now able to call upon this higher self inspiration, much more quickly and with much less effort.
Old 13-01-2017, 08:22 PM
Suspended
Guide

A friend of mine has 2 sons & a husband w/asbergers ...
As long as she keeps everyone on schedule, they're happy & productive ...
I don't know how she does it all, but she's a powerhouse although somewhat neurotic ...
Her goal is to get her sons to be independent as well as out in the workforce to be successful like their father ...
Their father has come a long way in the 33yrs I've known him ...
He no longer has meltdowns or violent outbursts like his sons do ...
She spends quite a bit of time researching & developing goals for her sons where emotional detachment is valuable in getting a job done as well as little interaction w/people, if possible ...
Such would be an emergency room nurse or doctor, EMT, fireman, accountant, investigator, etc ...
She also taught her faith of Judaism to all 3. From what I've witnessed at one barmitzvah it provided a sense of belonging, even though it seemed to be a foreign feeling every time they were at the temple practicing. It still provides a connection w/people as well as allows them to practice social skills & control, which is very difficult ...
I do recall a time talking w/her on the phone as she watched through a window all 3 in the backyard, she was very sad that they were each in their own world playing independent of one another ...
Being she is quite the social butterfly, she was not about to let that issue go unaddressed & that is where her faith came in. The other nice thing about Judaism is their rocking back & forth in a stationary position; it kept them from fidgeting ...

I do believe you are headed in right direction ...