Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 21-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexa_summer
Are we all just crazies here or what's really going on? How come the first thing medical practitioners jump to in order to explain this phenomena is mental illness? Who is right & who is wrong when it comes down to it? Does ANYONE really know ANYTHING? It all just seems like theories & made up mumbo-jumbo. Nothing is really certain. There's people out there that really do suffer mental illness, but even if doctors and people think they know the reasons or causes or even the exact illness. It doesn't change the fact that no one really knows WHY it even exists to begin with.
You may want to read my thoughts on religion in this thread.
Quote:

So ever since my "awakening" I have been researching, learning, and building on my beliefs and it has impacted my everyday life as a result. I always thought that being spiritual & interested in everything that is spiritual was a positive, good thing. When I say spiritual, of course I mean any New Age topic.
The term New Age has kind of kooky feel to it. Sorry.
Quote:
"Spirit Science" in general...you know. I felt my awakening when it happened, I believe it was something so authentic, I feel like we are all souls inhabiting our bodies & using them as vehicles...etc...I am fully aware of my spirit when I perceive things visually, which is something I can't fully explain, but that is the closest that makes sense. I believe that many messages we put out there are channeled from our higher selves..& I am aware when I am doing that. I feel these sensations through out my body that I can't explain, but again with the word "awareness". Sometimes it does feel like a long, dragged out dream we are all living in..We have so many different terminologies for the "unexplainable" the "paranormal". But they vary so much to the point of confusion, distress over what is real anymore.
But if each one of us were carefully examined by a psychiatrist I am sure they would come up with some kind of mental disorder or explanation as to why we experience and perceive things the way we do. Is there a line? A veil that rises to expose truth? Does truth exist? It's all what we perceive it to be...if it looks like a duck & quacks like a duck...it's definitely a duck. Well I think there's more to it.
There is a raw experience and then there is how we interpret the experience and how we relate it to others. If two persons are looking at a dog and discussing how it looks, the spots on its skin and so on, that is one thing. But if only one of the guys is seeing the dog, points at it and describes it to the other guy standing by him who does not see the dog, then who is crazy? I think if one wants to describe one's experiences to those who do not share those experiences, then the onus is on the experiencer to make himself understandable to those he is talking to. To be honest, I find lot of weirdness in many posts in this forum. But that's just me.
Old 21-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris
To be honest, I find lot of weirdness in many posts in this forum. But that's just me.

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction
Old 21-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Master
Just some thoughts nothing more :)
I work in mental health and have had this debate so many times now but it always blows my brains out! but i personally always come back to one point, how can someone else be trained to tell the difference? How can we know for instance that indeed all spiritual awakenings or whatever we call them, arent indeed mental illness or vice versa, is there a line? If so how do we find that line in a way that puts no-one at risk who would genuinely need mental health support versus spiritual understanding and again vice versus? If im honest over the years ive seen alot more recognition from professionals in the field, but very very quietly, i have also worked with many people i do believe were indeed having a hard time spiritually understanding some things, which then lent itself to a secondary symptom of mental health problems..Was I in a position to suggest that without loosing my job.. absolutely not! and this is where i think professionals even who agree this could be the case, are way to tied up in red tape, blocked by funding for training/research into the area and pure fear for there job, have infront of them a very huge task to even consider not wether this is the case even or there could be both going on etc, but how on this 'earth' would you define the difference with it, especially in regards to the multiple belief systems out there? Gosh my questions on how if it is the case, it could be incorporated into a support system outside or in combination with our current mental health guidelines in terms of risk etc are endless.
Its a minefield. I hope one day a balance is found that is in the highest interest of everyone, because i personally see a failing system here in the UK, to the point i want out, for my own mental health stability ;)
Anyways just a ramble in my mind :)I do tend to think more of how could it, than just is it hehehe :)
Loopy

◌ⴽAꕂꕂ A simple smile could be the first aid kit that someone has been looking for,
If you believe with absolute honesty that you are doing everything you can....DO MOREꕂꕂ◌ⴽ
~Shane Koyczan~
Old 21-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcau
If a person has a giant blue space hamster named Ned that has accompanied them through their life, and all the while its been whispering tales of a plane of existence where ascended souls turn into zebras and eat from gumball trees, than unless it's causing problems it shouldn't be considered to be one. If it doesn't turn them violent, cause interpersonal issues, depression, an inability to work etc than let them and Ned be in peace. It doesn't hurt them or others.

Lovely!!!

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx
Old 21-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Angel
Angel, are we agreeing here or disagreeing?
Old 23-11-2013, 02:41 AM
Pathfinder

I have questions about this topic, too. During my awakening, things were happening to me that I didn't "believe in ". When I started researching those things, my fear was that I was mentally ill. I still have moments where I look back and wonder what happened. But I, personally have come to the conclusion that the sudden shift in awareness and change in perceptions can, at times, feel a little ...crazy.

I agree that if I try to tell someone who hasn't experienced the things I have, the onus is on me. I tried to talk to my sister about it and that didn't go very well. It made me clam up about it, which is part of the reason I joined this site. I, sometimes, feel like I need an outlet. I started dating a great guy about 3 months ago and I knew I would, eventually, need to tell him. He can't truly love me if he doesn't know me. Right? I opened up to him last weekend. Before I did, I warned him that he would think I'm crazy if I told him. When I was finished, he told me he thought I was blessed, not crazy. I agree.
Old 23-11-2013, 02:54 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Yes, not only the psychiatric dept , but just anyone thinks we are crazy
to experience anything Divine or Supernatural.
They are the losers, not us.
Be clear on that right now, have no doubt...we are in the minority and yet we
are the ones' blessed.

In the beginning I thought I was crazy. Then I thought they were crazy. Now I think everyone is crazy but me. Lol

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 23-11-2013, 04:40 AM
Master
I should be quick to acknowledge that one person's wack is another's wisdom . Whatever floats yer boat, I guess; to each their own and all that. That being said, spirituality is one area in life where I hear a lot of stuff that sounds not just crazy to me, but koo koo .

But what are our options?... the insanity and ugliness of accepting that everything is **** and there's nothing magical or mystical behind it all , when we are inspired in so many ways to imagine and experience that there IS ? .
I threw that option out the window eons ago , before I was even ready to do so, because I didn't quite have my true inner magnificence to grab onto.

So yeah, what 'we' do looks psycho to a lot of people, sometimes including (or especially) to each other , but therein lies one of the beautiful things about individuality (and everyone is free to extrapolate to their own delight the details of how the rest of this paragraph goes... )

The thread header made me think of something I read in 'The Spiritual Doorway In The Brain' -a book more about the brain than spirituality, but which offers valuable insights nevertheless - about brain disorders related to spiritual and/or mystical awareness. There is sometimes a connection, the premise goes, and sometimes a fine line between someone who is visionary and someone who is mad. Sometimes it's the same person , and there's a clinilcal condition relating to it , so the premise (one of them) goes. (read the book if that's interesting) .

Old 23-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexa_summer
Thanks for clearing that up Meadows.
But when people who are diagnosed with the disorder didn't induce those beliefs and if those beliefs are similar or the same to someone who purposely induced them, it doesn't change the fact that the ones diagnosed are still having a spiritual experience, right? Some people can't handle all this inner truth to the point where I could see how it could bring them down a destructive path. Not saying that's the cause. Maybe they really do have some chemical deficiency or something that makes them act toward things differently or something. But if they didn't have that chemical deficiency they would be just like us. There can't be too much that sets them apart. It's obvious that I've never known anyone with depersonalization. But from learning about it it doesn't seem like mental illness. I guess I actually need to witness what it's like

I think a lot of damage or worry is caused by people seeing natural changes as 'symptoms' (the whole awakening trend doesn't help) and going online to look up what their symptoms mean.

I have an open or strong connection spiritually. I also experience symptoms of mental disorder. Sometimes the spiritual connection is a help, sometimes it isn't. Life, for me, is about learning how to use the spiritual connection within a practical life.

For example, if somebody attacks you, dissociation (which is what depersonalisation is) is helpful. If you meditate, it is dissociation. But when you're out in town getting the shopping, and dissociate involuntarily, it isn't helpful. The way to deal with that is to go straight home. But in this way it's then interfering with the practical side of life. When it interferes with the ability to hold down a job or form relationships, then it is wiser to ask for help.

It is easy to be open to spirit whilst tucked away in a monastery. But to live in the western society as if you were in a mountain monastery, brings more challenges.
Old 23-11-2013, 09:21 AM
JOP67

Before doing any kind of SA research I thought I was crazy too. I was and still am very antisocial, liking being with myself. My mundane parents took me once to the psychiatrist but that lady found nothing. She just told me to go outside more often. But that wasn't the most important part. The most important part were the dreams, the things I was seeing, the senses that were increased and many other symptoms. I had the symptoms since I was 11 ( my grandfather died 2 days before my b-day) but for un unknown reason my mind blocked them and stood like that until I was 23. I started doing astrology and tarot and make use of my psychic abilities. When people started to tell me how accurate I can be I was bit scared. Still am and I cannot say I fully accepted my "new me" but I'm working on it. Not that I have another choice.