Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 13-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G
Meditations do work and bring results without shutting down the mind.
To my experience, shutting down the mind (for more than few seconds) is impossible.
Trying to attain the impossible may lead only to frustration.
In the mediations I practiced, any effort and any attempt to manipulate the process of meditation only interferes with the meditation.
You cam find here instructions to various meditations, none requires shutting down the mind: http://www.the-third-circle.com/nfmedi1.html .
I think there is a confusion of terminology taking place.
When I write of shutting off the explicit mind, I am not referring to the entire brain.
Your explicit mind can certainly be shut off; you would be incapable of getting sleep if such were not the case.

Explicit is a non-specific categorical term which generally refers to direct and focused attention in itemized and associative patterns.
Implicit is equally non-specific, and is a term which generally refers to indirect responses from stimuli.

For examples of the use, look up explicit and implicit memory.

However, specifically, the part of the explicit mind that can be shut down is the cognition.
Cognition is attention; production of, and comprehension of, language; problem solving and analysis; memory (specifically, episodic and semantic memory); executive decision making (executive refers to direct decisions based on all of the previous components in this list to reach a conclusion).

The implicit mind cannot be fully shut down (or you would die).
Specifically, there is no way to shut down the default mode network (DMN [I haven't read over the wiki {because it wasn't written when I first studied DMN a few years ago} but this should have some useful info on the DMN: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Default_network]), which is the cardinal fluctuation of current in your brain in a variety of intersecting cycles when, "idle" (another common way of saying it among neurology is 'waking rest', or 'wakeful rest').

Anyways; the point is that this can't be shut down.
However, this isn't the explicit process of cognition either.

Cognition can be shut down.
We do not need cognition to stay living; not even remotely.
Case in point, the ventral stream is dramatically reliant on interchanging with our cognition, but our dorsal stream is not as directly related to doing so.
The ventral stream can be shut off.
The dorsal stream then remains as the only attended stream.
The result? The individual at hand does not pay attention to what they are seeing, but instead only sees spacial distance and motion without noticing individual objects, or correlating them through cognitive association.

People with rear damage to the brain can sometimes severely damage the ventral stream, yet the dorsal stream will still be intact.
They may not be capable of telling you that to their right is a square.
To them, there is nothing; they are blind.
But move that square and they will tell you that there is motion and in which direction it moves - farther, nearer, up, down, left, right - and its relative speed - fast, slow.

But they will still not be capable of telling you that it was a square.

That is in brain damage.
In non damage brains, this is just as easily accomplished nearly every time someone reads a book and walks at the same time...successfully (some people can; some people can't).

The ventral stream and cognition are tied up focused on the book.
The dorsal stream and sub-cognition are doing the part of paying attention to spatial distance and relaying to the motor cortex via the limbic system (emotions) for walking.

Reflexes work off of the dorsal stream as well; after someone catches something that was thrown at them in their peripheral vision suddenly, that is when their ventral stream will kick in. Once they look at the object and identify it.
Prior to that, the dorsal stream does not look for a label or identification cognitively; it only looks for speed, distance, and direction. If the right speed, distance, and direction are in place; it uses the limbic system (emotions) to raise the alarm - which is then relayed to the motor cortex for reflexive like response (not a true reflex by medical definition).

So what I am discussing is the systematic shut off of the attention to cognitive, and even the limbic, system.
This leaves only the implicit DMN running.
Your bare bone essentials for picking up raw stimuli, and your essential internal life support.

In a way, I suppose it would more akin to being a lizard than a dog.
(A lizard only has the dorsal stream so it is never cognitively aware of what it sees).

Why would anyone want to shut all this off?
Each to their own, and as I've said; I've been shutting everything off down to the bare essentials since I was 2 (or at least, that's as far back as my memory can take me)...so I'm not so great of a sample of ambition as to why someone wants to seek this out.

What I can say about what it does in my body is sort of a simple reboot; if I sit there for a bit.

On the other hand, it happens several times in my day.
For instance, I will walk outside after this post and have a cigarette.
I won't have a single cognitive thought for multiple moments while I'm out there because I just finished thinking allot in typing this up.

My brain seems to just retreat to non-cognition regularly between functions.
If I have no direct need to think; my brain seems to happy to oblige not to.
If, on the other hand, I want to think - that is all that I will be doing (don't try talking to me while I'm writing, reading, thinking, watching a show, etc...)
[though...watching a show is different, but that is another matter entirely]

So I disagree with you on whether explicit shut-down is possible.
Primarily I disagree because of the neurological architecture of the human brain, and also...because explicit shut-down has been a principle part of daily function with or without meditation.

Now, that does not mean that one needs to shut off the explicit to receive benefits from meditation; far from it.
But if you can accomplish the task...I encourage it.
It is, in sensation (as best as I can convey it), a bathing of the brain.
Old 13-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Ivory
Jayson, i think you have a valid process...A mantra can also help.
Sure.
Heck, use all five senses if you want.
Make a symbol - stare at it in reverence, play a tone [personal suggestion: 80Hz in one channel 80.33Hz in another channel], chant a mantra, move the body & touch an object, eat a bite of a thing that is only used in this event.

What did I just describe?
The basic outline of every orthodox ceremony (the 80Hz is just my suggestion; some ceremonies play music and sing, others just a bell chiming periodically while chanting...etc...).

So yes, use whatever works for you.
Some people need the full immersion of all senses; others do not.

Glad you like the outline; hope it helps.
Old 13-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Joshua_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysonR
I think there is a confusion of terminology taking place.
When I write of shutting off the explicit mind, I am not referring to the entire brain.
Your explicit mind can certainly be shut off; you would be incapable of getting sleep if such were not the case.

Explicit is a non-specific categorical term which generally refers to direct and focused attention in itemized and associative patterns.
Implicit is equally non-specific, and is a term which generally refers to indirect responses from stimuli.

For examples of the use, look up explicit and implicit memory.

However, specifically, the part of the explicit mind that can be shut down is the cognition.
Cognition is attention; production of, and comprehension of, language; problem solving and analysis; memory (specifically, episodic and semantic memory); executive decision making (executive refers to direct decisions based on all of the previous components in this list to reach a conclusion).

The implicit mind cannot be fully shut down (or you would die).
Specifically, there is no way to shut down the default mode network (DMN [I haven't read over the wiki {because it wasn't written when I first studied DMN a few years ago} but this should have some useful info on the DMN: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Default_network]), which is the cardinal fluctuation of current in your brain in a variety of intersecting cycles when, "idle" (another common way of saying it among neurology is 'waking rest', or 'wakeful rest').

Anyways; the point is that this can't be shut down.
However, this isn't the explicit process of cognition either.

Cognition can be shut down.
We do not need cognition to stay living; not even remotely.
Case in point, the ventral stream is dramatically reliant on interchanging with our cognition, but our dorsal stream is not as directly related to doing so.
The ventral stream can be shut off.
The dorsal stream then remains as the only attended stream.
The result? The individual at hand does not pay attention to what they are seeing, but instead only sees spacial distance and motion without noticing individual objects, or correlating them through cognitive association.

People with rear damage to the brain can sometimes severely damage the ventral stream, yet the dorsal stream will still be intact.
They may not be capable of telling you that to their right is a square.
To them, there is nothing; they are blind.
But move that square and they will tell you that there is motion and in which direction it moves - farther, nearer, up, down, left, right - and its relative speed - fast, slow.

But they will still not be capable of telling you that it was a square.

That is in brain damage.
In non damage brains, this is just as easily accomplished nearly every time someone reads a book and walks at the same time...successfully (some people can; some people can't).

The ventral stream and cognition are tied up focused on the book.
The dorsal stream and sub-cognition are doing the part of paying attention to spatial distance and relaying to the motor cortex via the limbic system (emotions) for walking.

Reflexes work off of the dorsal stream as well; after someone catches something that was thrown at them in their peripheral vision suddenly, that is when their ventral stream will kick in. Once they look at the object and identify it.
Prior to that, the dorsal stream does not look for a label or identification cognitively; it only looks for speed, distance, and direction. If the right speed, distance, and direction are in place; it uses the limbic system (emotions) to raise the alarm - which is then relayed to the motor cortex for reflexive like response (not a true reflex by medical definition).

So what I am discussing is the systematic shut off of the attention to cognitive, and even the limbic, system.
This leaves only the implicit DMN running.
Your bare bone essentials for picking up raw stimuli, and your essential internal life support.

In a way, I suppose it would more akin to being a lizard than a dog.
(A lizard only has the dorsal stream so it is never cognitively aware of what it sees).

Why would anyone want to shut all this off?
Each to their own, and as I've said; I've been shutting everything off down to the bare essentials since I was 2 (or at least, that's as far back as my memory can take me)...so I'm not so great of a sample of ambition as to why someone wants to seek this out.

What I can say about what it does in my body is sort of a simple reboot; if I sit there for a bit.

On the other hand, it happens several times in my day.
For instance, I will walk outside after this post and have a cigarette.
I won't have a single cognitive thought for multiple moments while I'm out there because I just finished thinking allot in typing this up.

My brain seems to just retreat to non-cognition regularly between functions.
If I have no direct need to think; my brain seems to happy to oblige not to.
If, on the other hand, I want to think - that is all that I will be doing (don't try talking to me while I'm writing, reading, thinking, watching a show, etc...)
[though...watching a show is different, but that is another matter entirely]

So I disagree with you on whether explicit shut-down is possible.
Primarily I disagree because of the neurological architecture of the human brain, and also...because explicit shut-down has been a principle part of daily function with or without meditation.

Now, that does not mean that one needs to shut off the explicit to receive benefits from meditation; far from it.
But if you can accomplish the task...I encourage it.
It is, in sensation (as best as I can convey it), a bathing of the brain.
My experience is different.
Old 13-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G
My experience is different.
Yes, but can you sympathize that if you cannot do something; this does not present itself as a universal clause for all of the human biological capacities?

Some people say that a person cannot whistle and hum at the same time simply because they cannot and have never seen someone do so.
This, however, does not mean that the human biology is incapable of whistling and humming at the same time.
Obviously; as there are those who can whistle and hum at the same time.

Further, clearly, neurology is aware of such a state as non-cognitive processing; as I showed above.
So humanity is quite aware of "auto-pilot" mode; whether you can do it or not.

I'm not saying that everyone who meditates needs to do this.
I am saying that it is possible; regardless of your personal experience.
Old 13-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Joshua_G

Quote:
Yes, but can you sympathize that if you cannot do something; this does not present itself as a universal clause for all of the human biological capacities?

Some people say that a person cannot whistle and hum at the same time simply because they cannot and have never seen someone do so.
This, however, does not mean that the human biology is incapable of whistling and humming at the same time.
Obviously; as there are those who can whistle and hum at the same time.

Further, clearly, neurology is aware of such a state as non-cognitive processing; as I showed above.
So humanity is quite aware of "auto-pilot" mode; whether you can do it or not.

I'm not saying that everyone who meditates needs to do this.
I am saying that it is possible; regardless of your personal experience.
In an infinite universe, everything is possible.
There are many views and theories.
I can relate only to what I know out of my own experience. I'm not denying other experiences, I only cannot relate to them.
Old 13-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Knower
Fair enough, but for the record; what is being discussed is something that has been overtly observed in neurological studies.
Look up Dr. Zoran Josipovic.
He's a leading neurologist at NYU.
http://psych.nyu.edu/josipovic/

What you are describing is what would be classed as parietal (lobe) meditation practices (that which suppresses the attention to stimuli).
What I'm discussing are what would be classed as medial (lobe) meditation practices (that which suppresses internal response to our own system).

Here's a very quick blip of Dr. Josipovic breaking down the principle difference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4azqqBVv2f0

Also, jump to the 19 minute mark of this talk:
http://vimeo.com/28047600
The external stimuli and internal stimuli processing during meditation processes that suppress medial lobe processing are able to allow the DMN to become more in sync in bilateral oscillation; where it otherwise is typically more one or the other; rather than a more even distribution of current.

The way that medial meditation processes function is by suppression of the brain's function of relaying processes relating to the explicit memory (both in saving and retrieving).
If your explicit memory is not accessed, then regardless of what your temporal lobe is doing; you are going to have far less cognizant decision processes in explicit labeling or thought.

There's really no possible means of "thinking" (in terms of words, associations, deductions, etc...) without the medial temporal lobe processing.

Suppressing this section, as some meditations do [this is not suposition - we have the fmri scans thanks to folks like Dr. Josipovic and other DMN neurologists], does remove the cognitive labeling of the mind.

This is essentially the, "shutting off of the mind", that people speak of.
The chatter.

It's not a matter of an infinite universe.
It's a matter of a plane flight to NYU to sit in on an fmri to see it for yourself.
Or, you can simply start reading any publication material on the DMN, or the material on DMN and meditation practices (such as those by Dr. Josipovic).

I'm not speaking of some flight of fancy that is magical and special.
This is something that is physical, empirical, studied, quantified, and actively published scientifically.

I don't know of a way to say something exists much better than that.
Old 13-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Joshua_G

Quote:
Fair enough, but for the record; what is being discussed is something that has been overtly observed in neurological studies.
Look up Dr. Zoran Josipovic.
He's a leading neurologist at NYU.
http://psych.nyu.edu/josipovic/

What you are describing is what would be classed as parietal (lobe) meditation practices (that which suppresses the attention to stimuli).
What I'm discussing are what would be classed as medial (lobe) meditation practices (that which suppresses internal response to our own system).

Here's a very quick blip of Dr. Josipovic breaking down the principle difference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4azqqBVv2f0

Also, jump to the 19 minute mark of this talk:
http://vimeo.com/28047600
The external stimuli and internal stimuli processing during meditation processes that suppress medial lobe processing are able to allow the DMN to become more in sync in bilateral oscillation; where it otherwise is typically more one or the other; rather than a more even distribution of current.

The way that medial meditation processes function is by suppression of the brain's function of relaying processes relating to the explicit memory (both in saving and retrieving).
If your explicit memory is not accessed, then regardless of what your temporal lobe is doing; you are going to have far less cognizant decision processes in explicit labeling or thought.

There's really no possible means of "thinking" (in terms of words, associations, deductions, etc...) without the medial temporal lobe processing.

Suppressing this section, as some meditations do [this is not suposition - we have the fmri scans thanks to folks like Dr. Josipovic and other DMN neurologists], does remove the cognitive labeling of the mind.

This is essentially the, "shutting off of the mind", that people speak of.
The chatter.

It's not a matter of an infinite universe.
It's a matter of a plane flight to NYU to sit in on an fmri to see it for yourself.
Or, you can simply start reading any publication material on the DMN, or the material on DMN and meditation practices (such as those by Dr. Josipovic).

I'm not speaking of some flight of fancy that is magical and special.
This is something that is physical, empirical, studied, quantified, and actively published scientifically.

I don't know of a way to say something exists much better than that.
I can relate only to what I know out of my own experience. I'm not denying other experiences, I only cannot relate to them.
Old 13-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Knower
Well, of course.
But it is something that you can study and can learn about.
Here's a starter:
http://www.cns.nyu.edu/heegerlab/con...ntiers2012.pdf

The human body is capable of amazing feats.
You don't have to be capable of doing them, but you can learn how they work - regardless of your experience.

That's our gift as humans.
We can learn.
Old 13-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Joshua_G

Quote:
Well, of course.
But it is something that you can study and can learn about.
Here's a starter:
http://www.cns.nyu.edu/heegerlab/con...ntiers2012.pdf

The human body is capable of amazing feats.
You don't have to be capable of doing them, but you can learn how they work - regardless of your experience.

That's our gift as humans.
We can learn.
I prefer my own experiences and insights over studying by reading.
Old 13-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Knower
Fair enough, but at some point you learned how to do what you do now.
If you are happy with what you have, then stick with that, indeed!
When I mentioned learning, I was referring to learning more about what you previously thought was simply non-existent.
I was not implying to do so for your use.