Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 21-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 002 Cents
I know this to be true, a persons true character is evident in their actions.

I would sooner follow the path of an honorable atheist than a corrupt Christian. Because at the end of the day I don't care what building you worship in, what books you worship out of or what Religious label you associate yourself with.

What truly matters to me is the quality of your character, the virtue of your heart and the values you brings into this world exhibited through your behavior. Claiming the "title" of Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, Taoist, Sikh, Atheist,... doesn't insure your righteousness.

This is why I say time and time again, 'Showing love and respect for all God's creations is the only true way to show our love and devotion to the Lord.'

Religion should not be used as a way to reinforce ones sense of self importance. When it is used this way, the true message is lost.

And that message, I have found, in most religions, is to embrace ideals of brotherhood, equality, goodness, compassion and love.

Amen to that, 002 Cents.

So many people are getting too entangled in self-righteousness. They use religion to take some kind of moral high ground to be better than everyone else, but then the rich and famous can do that as well. I'm not saying everyone does it because I have met some rather nice Christians and landed gentry who are 'my kind of people'. It's basic human nature for some.

Personally, I really don't give a single hoot about the moral high ground or who's right and who's wrong. If you want the moral high ground you go fill your boots, but while you're there open your eyes and have a good look around instead of closing your mind to all that's around you. I'd much rather get down and dirty with all that's around me, that way I don't subscribe to Separation and therefore (Love the irony) am more Enlightened than you :-) In the meantime I'll sit back and wait for the backlash of that from people who can't see the tongue firmly planted in the cheek.

Defining an honourable Athiest? I try my best to be honourable, and if you met me in the street and I hadn't told you I was an Atheist you'd think I was a Christian :-)
Old 21-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter
Alright starting with your " I know this to be true, a persons true character is evident in their actions" as a guide lets look at this.

Others respond, in agreement with your views,, you respond with blessings
I enter the discussion with questions about your view
You respond by not bothering to answer my questions, just answers to statements that I haven't made and then you obsfucate stage left to some supposedly difficult ethical brain teasers. And, I might add, without so much as a blessing lol.
See the difference in actions there? Is that behavioural evidence of a little too much pride in the character maybe?

I appreciate your criticism. Without criticism we are not given the opportunity to pause and reflect on our selves. It is a detrimental tool in growth. I can see how you could have interpreted the absence of the blessing as distaste. I have countless responses where you will find the absence of the word blessings. It was nothing personal.

I do however feel I answered you. You don't have to like my answer. But it was not given with little thought. You raised a very good question. You may have been looking for a simple yes or no, but I wanted you to be able to relate to the conflict it creates when those you care about behave carelessly, selfishly or without compassion towards others you also care about.

I wish you well. Never loose that ability to get people to look inside themselves.
Old 21-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Master
Thank you Greenslade.
Old 21-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Kapitan_Prien

Thumbs up

I would sooner follow the path of an honorable atheist than a corrupt Christian. Because at the end of the day I don't care what building you worship in, what books you worship out of or what Religious label you associate yourself with.

What truly matters to me is the quality of your character, the virtue of your heart and the values you brings into this world exhibited through your behavior. Claiming the "title" of Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, Taoist, Sikh, Atheist,... doesn't insure your righteousness.

This is why I say time and time again, 'Showing love and respect for all God's creations is the only true way to show our love and devotion to the Lord.'

Religion should not be used as a way to reinforce ones sense of self importance. When it is used this way, the true message is lost.

And that message, I have found, in most religions, is to embrace ideals of brotherhood, equality, goodness, compassion and love.

(Sorry - I couldn't resist. I loved your 'go for it' attitude when you made that huge 'Like' icon )
Old 22-11-2010, 04:26 AM
Master

it!

That is awesome! Thank you Kaptn. Prien!

I didn't make it though... just hot linked it.

Old 22-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Thank you Greenslade.

You are very welcome, 002 Cents
Old 08-12-2010, 03:51 PM
A Glass named Esther

Quote:

In the Torah, evil is defined as selfishness. Self importance, the way you describe, is definitely selfishness.

A person's true character is certainly evident in their actions when considering every action in their entire life, the motivations for those actions, their challenges, and their potential. That being said, we should all be careful when we judge other people by their actions. We haven't lived their life. If I were in that person's shoes perhaps I wouldn't even do as well as that person.

Also, we don't know if the actions of yesterday will be the actions of tomorrow. It's good to focus on the potential for good in each person and help each person actualize their potential.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Master
Great point... Perhaps I do leave too much to the imagination when I write these things.

That said, the vagueness of your statement is giving me pause, as when I think of those we should try to relate to... imagining "What it would take for me to be in their shoes"... I think of homeless, junkies, prostitutes... people who steal to survive...

I do not feel some people warrant that same level of compassion. Murderers, child molesters, those who mistreat other human beings and animals... I don't care how they got there or what they endured as a child. I can not find it in myself to say, "They did the best they could." I do read some cases of criminals where I can see the direct link between their upbringing and their own disturbing nature. And it saddens me that they endured what they did and I can say Shame on those people who took it upon themselves to do this to them. But they still need to be held accountable for their actions. Honestly, in some cases the punishments should be more severe.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
I do not feel some people warrant that same level of compassion. Murderers, child molesters, those who mistreat other human beings and animals... I don't care how they got there or what they endured as a child. I can not find it in myself to say, "They did the best they could." I do read some cases of criminals where I can see the direct link between their upbringing and their own disturbing nature. And it saddens me that they endured what they did and I can say Shame on those people who took it upon themselves to do this to them. But they still need to be held accountable for their actions. Honestly, in some cases the punishments should be more severe.

True compassion is not then realized. Compassion is not a pie to be divided out based on your moral views. Compassion cares for all the same. You may still have compassion for these offenders and they still pay for their crimes the same. This goes along the lines of the conversation we had on forgiveness. Even if human justice does not correct them, Divine Justice will.

Old 14-12-2010, 01:06 AM
Master
I value your opinion. So, I have to consider there may be truth in this observation.

I find notions of compassion and punishment can exist hand in hand. The areas I find need harsher punishment are in cases of repeat offenders and those involving children. It is appalling to me that in the news there is a man being tried for attacking a priest who assaulted him and his younger brother as children, and at the same time there is no punishment for this priest. Due to the statue of limitations this man will never be punished for his crimes. So, I can absolutely sympathize with the man who is currently being prosecuted by our law, for acting with aggression towards this man.

Quote:
A man allegedly molested three decades ago by a priest was arrested Friday on charges that he lured the clergyman to the lobby of a Jesuit retirement home and beat him in front of shocked witnesses, authorities said.
Lynch harbored a fantasy for years of confronting the priest, who also allegedly molested his little brother.
The boys, who were 7 and 5 at the time, were raped in the woods and forced to have oral sex with each other while Lindner watched, Harris said. Lindner has been accused of abuse by nearly a dozen people, including his own sister and nieces and nephews.

Entire article available at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/29/will-lynch-arrested-in-re_n_776328.html

In conclusion. You may very well be right but I am not likely to let go of injustices like these.