Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 23-11-2018, 07:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
Maybe gnosticism started in Judaism just before Jesus, and when the Jesus message came along they twisted it to suit gnostic philosophy.

So now they think they know 'the real Jesus' and believe that Christians have been fooled by the church.

Gnosticism is a perfect new age philosophy, palatable Christianity for those unwilling to accept a higher authority than themselves.

I think that is pretty close to the truth of the matter.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 23-11-2018, 08:13 AM
Master
One thing that I did not know is that the Christians persecuted the Gnostics.

Old 23-11-2018, 08:20 AM
Master
"Jewish gnosticism unquestionably antedates Christianity..." http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/ar...723-gnosticism

Can we all accept this?
Old 23-11-2018, 08:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza

What kind of ' Christians ' persecute others? They do have a History though of persecuting others, Christian by name but not by nature
Old 23-11-2018, 09:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza

I don’t think gnostics were persecuted by the early church as such, though I understand their teaching was deemed heretical and rejected and criticised by the developing orthodox church.
Old 23-11-2018, 09:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
What kind of ' Christians ' persecute others? They do have a History though of persecuting others, Christian by name but not by nature

Christians have a lot to learn. Christians can't just snap their fingers and be like Jesus, it takes a lot of work, and many mistakes have been made in the name of Christianity.

It doesn't mean gnostics have fared any better though, are gnostics beyond reproach in your experience? If you identify as a gnostic, are you always loving, and thinking of others, or do you still fall short some times?
Old 23-11-2018, 09:17 AM
Master
' Early Christian beliefs were highly diverse.

There was no single Bible, there were dozens of books all saying contradictory things, and different groups considered different books to be true.

In order for Christianity to be used as a political tool of the Empire to control the masses, it had to be one solidified concrete set of beliefs without variation, codified into a single book created by committee.

Thus, Christianity was born, and all of the unacceptable variations were persecuted and killed off as heretics.'
Old 23-11-2018, 09:24 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
Christians have a lot to learn. Christians can't just snap their fingers and be like Jesus, it takes a lot of work, and many mistakes have been made in the name of Christianity.

It doesn't mean gnostics have fared any better though, are gnostics beyond reproach in your experience? If you identify as a gnostic, are you always loving, and thinking of others, or do you still fall short some times?

You don't ' Learn ' to be like Jesus django your essence is Divine as is Jesus. You strip away your learned knowledge and are left with your inner knowledge, thats the difference.

Btw, I am not a Gnostic
Old 23-11-2018, 09:39 AM
Master
Quote:
You don't ' Learn ' to be like Jesus django your essence is Divine as is Jesus. You strip away your learned knowledge and are left with your inner knowledge, thats the difference.

Btw, I am not a Gnostic

"Christians have a lot to learn", and I would agree the way to learn is indeed to strip away all the conditioned baggage. I think Christianity falls short in not teaching this, though I gather the Christian mystics did come to this knowledge time and again. "First self-knowledge then God-knowledge".

What the Christian mystics have through their stripping away and afterwards is faith in God and Jesus as the messiah/Christ, when everything is stripped away Jesus is still needed, and God is still needed, I think the gnostic has dispelled the need for Jesus or God or Christian emptying of self because to them they already are like Jesus or already are God.

Oh, and I did think you were gnostic because you seem to defend gnosticism and have always professed an appreciation and gnostic understanding of the Gospel of Thomas.
Old 23-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Master
Quote:
Btw, I am not a Gnostic

Of course you are. All your posts indicate this.