Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 12-05-2013, 11:42 AM
icy_su

Hi! I am a Chinese Buddhist.

Hi everyone! Let me briefly introduce myself.

My name is Icy(nickname). I am from China. And I am a Buddhist.

I join the forum because I would like to share with you my knowledge and experience in Buddhism and meditation. We have a meditation forum in Chinese, and many experienced Buddhists volunteer to answer questions to beginners everyday. I am one of the volunteers. People there are so helpful to one another, and I somehow feel that maybe I can go to some other places, where there are fewer volunteers who help people to meditate. So I am here.

I have been meditating for almost three years. I practice Pure Land Buddhism and follow the same spirit when meditating. It has been working pretty well. I can share more of my backgrounds and experience with you if necessary. As for now, I just wanted to let you know that I will come here as often as possible to answer your questions about Buddhism and meditation.

I am not a guru, but am only trying to help as much as I can. So if you encounter any question in your practice, maybe you can let me know and I'll try to answer.

Best wishes,
Icy
Old 12-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Mayflow

Hi, Icy. I've heard of Pure Land Buddhism. Would you mind giving us a sort of overview or general idea of what Pure Land is all about?
Old 12-05-2013, 12:14 PM
icy_su

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflow
Hi, Icy. I've heard of Pure Land Buddhism. Would you mind giving us a sort of overview or general idea of what Pure Land is all about?

Dear Mayflow,

It's hard to introduce the spirit of Pure Land Buddhism in a few sentences. It envolves far too many things. But the general idea is that we chant the Buddha's name continuously, and wisdom comes naturally. In the mean time, we are blessed and led to adjust ourselves to become a better person. I am sure you have heard of how Buddhists refrain from killing, drinking, wasting, etc and devote to give. When it comes to the end of our human life, Buddha leads us to the Pure Land, where we will continue to learn, and become completely enlightened. I know it sounds mysterious, especially with my limited English...

Kind regards,
Icy
Old 12-05-2013, 12:15 PM
icy_su

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflow

By the way, your signature sentence is a very right understanding of Buddhism. Cheers!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:27 PM
icy_su

As with Christianity, Buddhism has many branches. Yet the difference is that among different branches of Buddhism, Buddhists do recognize the merits of one another. Like Pure Land Buddhists know and respect the merits of Zen Buddhism. We all know that the branches exist because Buddha teaches us different methodologies to fit our different situations. And for anyone who is truly determined to practice Buddhism, it's no good to wander in different branches and places. You got to find the methodology that fit you best, and practice it relentlessly.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:17 PM
icy_su

A very important advice on meditation is that you need to try hard till you can comfortably meditate on FULL LOTUS POSITION, if you have not acheived so.
Old 13-05-2013, 10:36 AM
icy_su

Guide to Meditation -- Step 1. Set a Proper Goal

Encouraged by the kind rating, I decided to compose a brief introduction of meditation. Here is Step 1 -- Set up a proper goal.

I noticed that many people who meditate end up in illusions. They see strange things, hear strange voices, and have other mysterious feelings. There are even posts in this forum that claim having a 3rd eye.

However, if you go back to the true spirit of meditation, you will know that it is a way to peace, wisdom, joy and comfort. If you are experiencing fear, anxiety or other negative emotions, that means you need to think whether you are going wrong. I don't know where the illusions will lead you, but it can be dangerous.

Why so many people go wrong in meditation? It's because they do not have a proper goal. Put it simple -- you get what you pursue. If you pursue fantasy, then you will go into fantasy.

And what is a proper goal? There is a universal standard actually --- truth, kindness, and beauty. No matter what nationality you have, no matter what religion you believe in, the standard never change. If you always go toward this end, you can't be wrong, in anything.

In meditation, you need to acknowledge that you are human, and all you do is to be peaceful, to clear the mind, to enlighten the heart, and to be a better person -- physically and mentally. If you have this goal or similar healthy goals in mind, you can't go awry.

In Buddhism we believe that the level you can achieve largely depends on the goal in your mind. So you can even think of higher goal -- E.g., I am trying to become a better person so that I will be able to help others, and to help all living beings on earth.
Old 13-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Master
Welcome icy,

I am enjoying reading your words

:)

The one thing that can enslave or liberate you is your ...........................thought............................

quote~by Bernard/George

Old 13-05-2013, 10:47 AM
icy_su

Guide to Meditation -- Step 2. The Lotus Position

For anyone who wants to become physically healthier through meditation, Lotus Position is a must. I know some people meditate only for a clearer mind, e.g., one of my bosses, but lotus position can certainly help much more.

It's usually very painful for beginners, but as westerners always say, "there's no shortcut to any place worthwhile." Please do try, make each and every effort, till you can do half lotus position, and then full lotus position.

Why lotus position is so important?
Old 13-05-2013, 10:50 AM
icy_su

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiler
Welcome icy,

I am enjoying reading your words

:)

Thank you Smiler! :-)

I will continue to write when I have time.