Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 10-09-2019, 12:24 PM
Knower

God of Spinoza

God of Spinoza

Did you know that when Einstein attended some conferences in the numerous universities of the USA, the recurring question that the students asked him was:

- Do you believe in God?

And he always answered:
- I believe in the God of Spinoza.

For the ones who haven't read Spinoza
hope this shall give them an idea.

Baruch De Spinoza was a Dutch philosopher, of Portuguese Jewish origin, considered one of the great rationalists of his time along with the French philosopher Rene Descartes. Spinoza was born in Amsterdam in the 17th century of a businessman father who was successful but not wealthy.

This is the nature of the God of Spinoza:

God would have said:

"Stop praying and giving yourselves blows on your chests, what I want you to do is to go out into the world to enjoy your life.
I want you to enjoy, you sing, have fun and enjoy everything I've done for you.
Stop going to those gloomy, dark and cold temples that you built yourself and that you call my home.
My house is in the mountains, in the forests, the rivers, the lakes, the beaches. That's where I live and express all my love for you.
Stop blaming me for your miserable life; I never told you that you were a sinner.

Stop being so scared. I do not judge you, nor criticize you, nor ever is angry with you, nothing bothers me, nor do I devise punishment. I am pure love.

Stop asking me forgiveness, there's nothing to forgive. If I made you... I filled you with passions, limitations, pleasures, feelings, needs, inconsistencies... of free will, how can I blame you if you do or say something out of that what I put in you? How can I punish you for being as you are, if I'm the one who made you? Do you think I could create a place to burn all my children who misbehave, for the rest of eternity?
What kind of God can do that?
Forget about any kind of commandments, of any kind of laws; those are wiles to manipulate you, to control you and only to create guilt in you.
Respect your peers and don't do to others what you don't want for you. The only thing I ask is that you pay attention in your life, that your alert status is your guide. This life is the only thing there is, here and now and the only thing you need.

I have made you absolutely free, there are no prizes or punishments, there are no sins or virtues, no one carries a marker, no one carries a record.
You are absolutely free to create in your life a heaven or hell.

I couldn't tell you if there's anything after this life, but I can give you a tip. Live as if there wasn't.
As if this was your only chance to enjoy, to love, to exist.

So, if there is nothing, then you will have enjoyed the opportunity I gave you. And if there is, be sure that I will not ask you if you behaved well or not, I will ask you. Did you like it?... did you have fun ?..What did you enjoy the most? What did you learn?...

Stop believing in me; believe is to assume, guess, imagine. I don't want you to believe in me, I want you to feel me when you kiss your beloved, when you play with your little girl, when you love your dog, when you bathe in the sea.

Stop praising me. What kind of egotistical God do you think I am?
I'm bored of your praise, I'm fed up with thanks . Do you feel grateful? Prove it taking care of yourself, your health, your relationships, the world around you. Do you feel overwhelmed?... Express your joy! That's the way to praise me.

The only thing sure is that you are here, that you are alive, that this world is full of wonders.

What do you need more miracles for?
Why so many explanations?

Don't look for me outside, you won't find me. Find me inside... there I'm beating in you."

Baruch De Spinoza

I am posting this because it resonates.
Namaskar
Old 10-09-2019, 03:29 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uday_Advaita
God of Spinoza

Did you know that when Einstein attended some conferences in the numerous universities of the USA, the recurring question that the students asked him was:

- Do you believe in God?

And he always answered:

- I believe in the God of Spinoza.

Hi Uday, nice to see Spinoza getting some props. There are some striking similarities with parts of his philosophy and the core insights of Taoism, Buddhism and Advaita - of which he was not familiar with.

The God of Spinoza is the God of Pantheism (Pantheism was inspired by Spinoza.) Reality in its most fundamental sense is One. And this Oneness is God (or Nature - he believed that God and Nature are two ways of thinking about the same reality.)

Yes, Einstein resonated with this view as do many who are averse to the idea of God as some sort of interventionist being - even the arch skeptic Carl Sagan was sympathetic.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:36 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondance
Hi Uday, nice to see Spinoza getting some props. There are some striking similarities with parts of his philosophy and the core insights of Taoism, Buddhism and Advaita - of which he was not familiar with.

The God of Spinoza is the God of Pantheism (Pantheism was inspired by Spinoza.) Reality in its most fundamental sense is One. And this Oneness is God (or Nature - he believed that God and Nature are two ways of thinking about the same reality.)

Yes, Einstein resonated with this view as do many who are averse to the idea of God as some sort of interventionist being - even the arch skeptic Carl Sagan was sympathetic.

Hi Moondance I have come across quotes by many eminent scientists who have intuitively understood the oneness in everything. In their research work they must have experienced this unicity. It is quite amazing to see similar understanding continents and cultures away separated by centuries.
I do not remember who said this - It was one of the scientists
"I am not sure who created Man, but I am very sure Man created God"
Namaskar
Old 11-09-2019, 01:16 AM
Yes...Spinoza was the best!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 25-09-2019, 07:56 AM
Master
When various scientists, and some philosophers, mention they talk about god it's good to remember the context and that they usually refer to a pantheistic god and a mere sense that all is connected. This isn't exactly matching belief in spirits, life after death, souls, etc. Usually these people are still materialists. Einstein's views: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...ert_Einste in
Old 01-12-2019, 06:36 PM
Thumbs up

I want everyone to read what Spinoza said in the first post.
Spinoza was brilliant and wise!!! Briefly -

God would say:

"Stop blaming me for your miserable life. I never told you you were a sinner."
Stop asking me forgiveness, there's nothing to forgive. If I made you...
I filled you with passions, limitations, pleasures, feelings, needs, inconsistencies...
of free will, how can I blame you if you do or say something out of that what I put in you?
How can I punish you for being as you are....

I don't want you to believe in me, I want you to feel me when you kiss your beloved,
when you play with your little girl, when you love your dog, when you bathe in the sea."

Baruch De Spinoza

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 01-12-2019, 06:40 PM
Master
Quote:
I don't want you to believe in me, I want you to feel me when you kiss your beloved,
when you play with your little girl, when you love your dog, when you bathe in the sea."

………..
Old 01-12-2019, 08:01 PM
Master
God of Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
I want everyone to read what Spinoza said in the first post.
Spinoza was brilliant and wise!!! Briefly -

God would say:

"Stop blaming me for your miserable life. I never told you you were a sinner."
Stop asking me forgiveness, there's nothing to forgive. If I made you...
I filled you with passions, limitations, pleasures, feelings, needs, inconsistencies...
of free will, how can I blame you if you do or say something out of that what I put in you?
How can I punish you for being as you are....

Baruch De Spinoza

Miss Hepburn,

I hadn't read anything from Spinoza before, but I like these words.

These are not the words of God of Spinoza.

These are the words of God in Spinoza, speaking as the God within us has always spoken were we to listen the way Spinoza learned to do.
“Why, that’s true! I am a perfect, unlimited gull!” Jonathan opened his eyes asking, "Where are we?” The Elder Chiang said, “We’re on some planet with a green sky and a double star for a sun.” Jonathan made a scree of delight. “IT WORKS!" “Well, of course it works, Jon,” said Chiang. “It always works, when you know what you’re doing." (and even when you don't)
Old 01-12-2019, 08:22 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uday_Advaita
Stop going to those gloomy, dark and cold temples that you built yourself and that you call my home.
My house is in the mountains, in the forests, the rivers, the lakes, the beaches. That's where I live and express all my love for you.

I'd take exception with this one part. For Spinoza, being the towering intellect he was and his family background, this probably works for him. However for those not possessing his intellect and opportunities for experiencing the splendor of nature, communal worship in an organized fashion might be all that's available for their spiritual succor.

I don't think a God would admonish people for worshiping in the way available to them and based on their capabilities, tendencies and opportunities.

Aside from that I like it.

Oh, especially the end-point being it is what it is and whatever we believe, no matter how stridently and faithfully, isn't going to change that. Choose your path, do your earnest best and leave the nitty-gritty details to God. I'm pretty sure S/he has it all under control. LOL!