Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 AM
3dnow

I think it is because people who created religion were fearful and needed protection.

Protection is the man's role so God was created as he.

Man protect woman so protection cannot be associated with women.

I suspect that it is all about fear/protection. We (including women) feel safer with a strong man lol.

It is ridiculous of course.

3dnow
Old 13-11-2010, 07:56 PM
orli_the_owl

possibly because, in the english langage at least, people do not wish to use the genderless 'IT' to describe their higher power.
but more than likely because history, the bible and everything in it was writen by men who wanted to feel good about themselves.
Old 15-11-2010, 06:54 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova
God is gendered and deemed masculine mostly if not always. In most cultures God is a male and mostly is addressed as "He". Why dis God manifest in male figures? In Christianity females have little role. There is an example of St. Mary, Magdalena and the like but mostly it is males.

In Hinduism there are female figures but mostly male figures. In Islam there God is a male figure.

Why we do not address God as "SHE"?

Is it because the world is male dominated? Or it is male's muscular prowess that femininity always has to be subservient?

I do not want this to be a controversy and just want people's opinions on the issue so that I and the rest who might have questions on this can learn

God made man, man made religion and religion was - for centuries and still is - male dominated.
Old 15-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Master
I don't see any dingle dangles hanging from God or any uncharted caves, I just see God, Consciousness and me.
Old 26-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Zenith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
"As for the reasons why God incarnated as Jesus,....." Huh! Musta got that wrong - thought it was claimed that the Nazarene was the son of god, not God the father etc?

Hey Mac,

Not even orthodox Christianity says that Jesus was God the Father; they say he is God the Son. Christianity, generally, believes that God the Son incarnated in the human person of Jesus.

God bless.
Old 26-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Sira

Why God is labelled he?
If I take a look at the last few thousand years of humankind's history, it seems quite masculine by its energy. Maybe that's why.
Old 27-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sira
Why God is labelled he?
If I take a look at the last few thousand years of humankind's history, it seems quite masculine by its energy. Maybe that's why.
Could you define masculinity? Our ideas of what is masculine and what is feminine is borrowed from cultural values and beliefs.

And why is the history of mankind ''masculine''?

Last edited by Chrysaetos : 27-12-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 27-12-2010, 02:06 AM
Racer X

God is "No-Thing"

A "Symbol" is a once removed "sign of God".

Words are descriptions of Symbols.........as such, they are twice removed.

This is why it said "Be still and know God"; its means "stop thinking", let the words dissolve & quiet the mind. It takes some effort at first....

It is neither a she nor a he.....no word will suffice here.
Old 27-12-2010, 03:19 AM
TheDivine

I think trying to put a name to the divine, or source, or whatever it is you want to call it, is absurd. But humans will try because we like to identify with things based on what they are called. In order to name something though, your ego has to get involved, and that is where gendered names come from, or tribal divisions between whose identification of the divine is more correct.

I accept what anyone decides to call the higher power because I know everyone is basically referring to the same thing, and the connection is the same in all of us.
Old 27-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X
God is "No-Thing"

A "Symbol" is a once removed "sign of God".

Words are descriptions of Symbols.........as such, they are twice removed.

This is why it said "Be still and know God"; its means "stop thinking", let the words dissolve & quiet the mind. It takes some effort at first....

It is neither a she nor a he.....no word will suffice here.
i agree, i find i use the term "It" for God quite a bit...
"Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu, Buddhist, Sufi, or Zen. Not any religion or cultural system. I am not from the East or the West, not out of the ocean or up from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not composed of elements at all... I belong to the Beloved, have seen the two worlds as one and that one call to and know, first, last, outer, inner, only that breath breathing human being."
Rumi