Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Books

View Poll Results: What is your status on this Book?
Read it 1 12.50%
Reading it 1 12.50%
Plan on reading it 2 25.00%
Might read it, Might not, it's not a priority 1 12.50%
Never had read it, never will 1 12.50%
My attention span is too short for... Oh Shiny! 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Master
Peace Is Every Step

This spectacular book is a "Have To Read".Just take it slow and steady once you get to the "Transformation" portion. As chapter by chapter, it forces you into deep introspection and trying to read through it without giving each chapter due time to reflect becomes emotionally painful (at least for myself).

So, 10 chapters forward and 9 chapters back. Just a bit slower for appropriate steeping and sipping time. So the mind can digest it all before I move on.
Old 15-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Master
Today I started a journal where I can document my notes and personal reflections from each Chapter of this book. I am already several chapters into the book but this is where I will start.

Today's Chapter "Meditation on Love":

Love and compassion, in their purest forms are solidified through a process of mindful observation and understanding.

Thich Nhat Hanh makes this analogy using a tree. The tree is understanding nourished through mindful observation, yielding blossoms of love and compassion.

This is a stunning thought to ponder.

He goes on to elaborate our roll in bringing love and compassion into the world as embodying it. That focusing our energy on it is good but will hold a lesser impact than exhibiting love and compassion.

He stresses that only when we have purified our love can we embody pure love. That the love we put into the world can be no more pure than the love we possess in ourselves. Which is why we must first learn what it is to love before we seek to change the world with it and that once we truly get it we will live in a way that emulates the love and compassion we possess.

He says "If love is in our heart every thought, word and deed can bring about a miracle".

Blessings to a great Teacher.
Old 16-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Master
20 chapters forward and all the way back. Here is starting off at chapter one again. For this chapter my notes are mostly paraphrasing.

"Twenty Four Bran-New Hours"

Each day is a gift. Another precious opportunity to discover and contribute to peace in ourselves and our world.

Peace is available at the present if we give ourselves a chance to bear it witness. It is in us and all around us.

Every moment in our day is another chance to find peace in everything we do.

Thich Nhat Hanh says "We are very good at preparing to live but not very good at living". His example, how we will attend college to prepare for a career, yet continually forget we are in the now.

"Every breath me take, every step we make can be filled with peace, joy and serenity."

With this he reminds us to come back to the moment we are in; that it is here where peace and happiness await us. And we should seek to find it now.

"Peace is every step."

Blessings
Old 16-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Master
My notes on the chapter "The Dandelion Has My Smile":

The peace and calm of a genuine smile, wrought of a serenity deep in your soul; witnessed by those around you, carries a certain assurance and comfort.

That we may find our smile as we wake and share this simple gift throughout our day is a profound forward motion to peace.

Peace that is within us and all around us waiting to be discovered. In the fluffy cloud you took the time to notice, the gentle breeze rustling the leaves of the trees, the flowing of a stream, "The Dandelion"... These are of the countless sources of peace available to us at any given moment, as Thich Nhat Hanh elaborates "keeping your smile".

Peace be with you
Old 15-09-2011, 12:25 PM
illusion

I love Thich Nhat Hanh!

His writing style is refreshingly simple and direct. Almost childlike. And yet he is also elegant, penetrating, absolutely wise. I often pick up his books and read just to share the sense of clarity and calm in his thoughts, he always makes me feel better.

I own Peace is Every Step, and The Sun My Heart. Great books.
Old 19-09-2011, 01:24 AM
Master
Agreed. Truly amazing person. I would love to see him awarded the Nobel Peace prize one day. He was actually nominated for it by Martin Luther King back in 1967. Never too late to see Gandhi awarded one either.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Moonkissed ☽O☾ Wolf

Book1 :)

Ooh, thank you for opening my eyes to what looks like an INCREDIBLE book! Plus, it's written by a monk :) Sorry, I've loved monks since I was younger and look up to them so much! I remember as a kid, I'd seen a monk and got all excited about it. They're just so happy and peaceful as well!

Anyway, away from my childishness! I'm definitely planning on reading this book, and was thrilled to see the amazing reviews on Amazon. Definitely going into my wishlist!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:21 AM
Master
Good to hear. He has a very simple writing style but also very thought provoking. Hope you enjoy it.