Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Books

Old 28-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Master
I've always loved reading and books, so I have a lot of them. I've yet to try an E-reader, although am seriously considering it.

Old 28-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Master
I have never tried an e-book. I had no interest in them and there's something about having the real thing in my hand. I did see a woman at the eye doctor with one and I've seen people with them before and they did nothing for me, but I was thinking about the brightness of it and being able to read it that way or perhaps you can adjust the font? But I still prefer books.
Old 28-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Neville

But think of the forests and trees we could save if we all read electronically.
Old 28-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Master
An e-book is the real thing, ts justs an e-book, you can walk around with a thousand books in your hand, no paper book could ever do that.
Old 29-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville
Yes, this is true and a very good point.
Old 29-07-2012, 05:20 AM
Ascender
There have been some books witch I had to print out from a pdf file (e book). I prefer to have the text on paper :O)

And since I love to write in by books and write in them :O) this is more enjoyable :O)

Yours

A Peaceful Mind
Old 29-07-2012, 05:50 AM
sesheta

There was a great scene in the episode "Court Martial" of the original Star Trek series. Cpt. Kirk's lawyer (Cogley) gives him a mini-lecture about "real books":

Kirk: What is all this?
Cogley: I figure we'll be spending some time together, so I moved in.
Kirk: I hope I'm not crowding you.
Cogley: What's the matter? Don't you like books?
Kirk: Oh, I like them fine, but a computer takes less space.
Cogley: A computer, huh? I got one of these in my office. Contains all the precedents, a synthesis of all the great legal decisions written throughout time. I never use it.
Kirk: Why not?
Cogley: I've got my own system. Books, young man, books. Thousands of them. If time wasn't so important, I'd show you something--my library. Thousands of books.
Kirk: What would be the point?
Cogley: This is where the law is, not in that homogenized, pasteurized, synthesized... do you want to know the law, the ancient concepts in their own language, learn the intent of the men who wrote them, from Moses to the tribunal of Alpha 3? Books.
Kirk: You have to be either an obsessive crackpot who's escaped from his keeper or Samuel T. Cogley, attorney-at-law.
Cogley: Right on both counts.

****wish I could find a video clip of it, because it's better to actually watch it:)
Old 29-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Mayflow

I like them both. The physical books are easier to read I think, but it is just so easy and often completely free to find books and read them on the internet.

Like here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2500

I read that book when I was a kid from the library in hard cover and knew nothing about Buddhism - had never even heard of it and I still loved that book so I highly recommend this book and here I offer it for you for free. Hesse was a pretty brilliant writer I think and a friend and patient of Dr. Carl Jung, so you can see some of the psychological insights he presents in a novel like this.
Old 31-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu
I'm starting to get used to e-books, but I really prefer the real thing. A lot of my texts (not usually the main text books, but the suggested reading materials, and such) from school are e-book or internet download only now... but they still charge a pretty penny for them lol. If I'm still going to be paying an excessive amount for a book, I'd rather have the real deal.

I can't believe the schools are charging high fees for e- books/ or internet downloads too ! The price of college books is way out of line, usually for a book that is used only once and most times on a required subject that one doesn't even have an interest in. Definitely a racket, I would say. College students have enough costs, give them a break on the books, just my opinion.

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction
Old 31-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville

Nice thought Neville, but in reality... even if all books were electronic, the trees would be used for other products.

Kind of like when there are fundraisers in the schools "Save the Rainforest "... now really.... how much of the money raised actually goes to save a rainforest ? And exactly ... how does one save a rainforest ? Impossible ! but it does make for a good sounding fundraiser

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction