Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 14-02-2016, 05:57 AM
Guide

Holiday Books?

I was reading a book on the history of the bible being written. It talked about part of the Old Testament (tanuch?) being called "the writings" and said that some of the writings books were Holiday Books to be read at certain Jewish Holidays.

As I recall it listed Ruth, Esther, Ecclesiastes and Lamentations.

I have a vague understanding of Esther for Purim, and Ruth for some kind of harvest festival....

What are the Holidays attributed to Ecclesiastes and Lamentations?

(Is Lam. the 3-day summer fast about the temple?)
Old 29-02-2016, 09:59 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Blue Sky
I was reading a book on the history of the bible being written. It talked about part of the Old Testament (tanuch?) being called "the writings" and said that some of the writings books were Holiday Books to be read at certain Jewish Holidays.

As I recall it listed Ruth, Esther, Ecclesiastes and Lamentations.

I have a vague understanding of Esther for Purim, and Ruth for some kind of harvest festival....

What are the Holidays attributed to Ecclesiastes and Lamentations?

(Is Lam. the 3-day summer fast about the temple?)

Jewish scripture is divided into three parts-
Torah, which translated is Instruction/Teaching;
Nevi'im, which translated is Prophets; and
Ketuvim, which translates as Writings.

One of the ways in which Jewish scripture is called is Tanakh/Tanach which is an anagram of Torah, Nevi'im and Ketuvim.

Among the Writings are the Chamesh Megillot, Five Scrolls -
Esther - read on Purim;
Ruth - read on Shavuot, the Festival of Weeks;
Lamentations - read on Tisha B'Av, the 9th day of the month of Av, the day on which both the First and Second Temples were destroyed;
Ecclesiastes - read on Sukkot;
Song of Songs - read on the Shabbat of Pesach/Passover and by many at the seder of Pesach.

L'shalom,

Peter
Old 01-03-2016, 09:19 PM
Guide

Thank you for your informative response. :)