Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Astrology > Astronomy

Old 24-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Greybeard

It is true this is the most rapid climate change known, or appears to be heading that way, but there have been very rapid changes in the past too. There are also minor fluctuations recorded, like the Little Ice Age in medieval Europe. The climate change that marked the end of the reign of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago was rapid.

Mankind can adapt to a changing climate. Before modern times man inhabited the edges of glacial ice sheets (probably contributing to our evolution as modern man), parched deserts, tropical rain forests, high altitude plains....one of the traits that make us human and a very survivable species is our adaptability.

No wonder Jonathan Swift was almost burned at the stake for writing "A Modest Proposal"; it seems people cannot appreciate the satirical, the metaphorical, the tongue in cheek. Oh well. The world was created 6433 years ago in six days by a supernatural being named Ywh.
Old 24-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Greybeard

P.S.: Let the Deluge come; Man survived God's wrath in the days of Noah. And now we have inflatable rubber rafts and MRE's.

The world is getting warmer, not cooler, despite anomalies. Proof: liquid water is becoming more plentiful -- the seas are rising. What is the point of such an argument?

We can't stop or even influence to any significant degree the process. Our only option is adaptation. Whatever is happening we have no control over it, so all argument as to just what is happening is beside the point.

The entire course of human history, past and future, is beyond our powers. We are leaves floating on the tide. Enjoy the ride.
Old 24-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
Time, the rapid change in climate happened VERY suddenly in the year 2000 and is related to Greenhouse gas emissions and deforestation. Google climate change/global warming and "the hockey stick". In the billions of years of earth's history the weather patterns never changed as sharply and as suddenly as this. It's definitely human intervention. 97% of scientists agree. The other 3% have been bought out by corporations/governments.

That we have discovered

Its changed quite quickly, with in a century before (give or take the same as now). And it didnt instantly change in the year 2000. There have been anomolies prevalent in the north for decades, but since there are no people up there, why would they report it? Its getting more south now, which is why it seems sudden, which again, it IS fast, but not instant. IT has taken 100 years.

Also, I didnt deny the fast changes that have happened since we decided burning fossil fuel. I actually showed parallels between now and natural events of methane release (which is also happening now).
Old 24-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard
It is true this is the most rapid climate change known, or appears to be heading that way, but there have been very rapid changes in the past too. There are also minor fluctuations recorded, like the Little Ice Age in medieval Europe. The climate change that marked the end of the reign of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago was rapid.

Mankind can adapt to a changing climate. Before modern times man inhabited the edges of glacial ice sheets (probably contributing to our evolution as modern man), parched deserts, tropical rain forests, high altitude plains....one of the traits that make us human and a very survivable species is our adaptability.

No wonder Jonathan Swift was almost burned at the stake for writing "A Modest Proposal"; it seems people cannot appreciate the satirical, the metaphorical, the tongue in cheek. Oh well. The world was created 6433 years ago in six days by a supernatural being named Ywh.

P.S.: Let the Deluge come; Man survived God's wrath in the days of Noah. And now we have inflatable rubber rafts and MRE's.

The world is getting warmer, not cooler, despite anomalies. Proof: liquid water is becoming more plentiful -- the seas are rising. What is the point of such an argument?

We can't stop or even influence to any significant degree the process. Our only option is adaptation. Whatever is happening we have no control over it, so all argument as to just what is happening is beside the point.

The entire course of human history, past and future, is beyond our powers. We are leaves floating on the tide. Enjoy the ride.

I cant disagree that climate change has shaped us as a species. I am not disagreeing that climate change is "bad" (if anything our part in it is "bad"). Technically, we are supposed to be entering an new ice age, since the climate has been so "stable". The thing is, when you release large amounts of greenhosue gasses into the atmosphere (natural or man), you cause those cycles to break and change.

As for the dinosaurs, the climate change before the asteroid hit, was a small piece of the puzzle to the already declining numbers of dinosaurs BEFORE that asteroid. Also, the climate change because of the aseroid finished them off.

In response to "Oh well. The world was created 6433 years ago in six days by a supernatural being named Ywh.", All i have to say is, in the words of police cheif wiggum " wheres your messiah now eh?"

I did also say that the north, which means the "frozen" part, is warming before, and more then the rest. There have been no real anomolies at the equator, the same as the PETM. Just because its a general warming, does not mean that that is the whole story. That is why it is climate change, not global warming, because the climate is changing. The entire planet is NOT heating up, just a large portion, while lots of that area is sstill seeing cooling trends in different seasons.

And we should prepare. We know its going to happen, its just a question if its now 5 10 or 100 years down the road. We should all be making small pockets of sustainable gardens, that grow fod, and bring plants taht are able to cope with new climate (generally warming and getting dry in the southern states, supposidly wet and warmer winters in the north). We should be curbing carbon, by planting diverse native, and drought tolerant species in our forests. We should have boats, and emergancy kits and plans.
Old 24-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Quagmire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
I cant disagree that climate change has shaped us as a species. I am not disagreeing that climate change is "bad" (if anything our part in it is "bad"). Technically, we are supposed to be entering an new ice age, since the climate has been so "stable". The thing is, when you release large amounts of greenhosue gasses into the atmosphere (natural or man), you cause those cycles to break and change.

Also I heard that if enough of the Ice up north melt it actually would start an "ice age" by cooling the golf stream (think this is the right name) so Europe won't get its supply of warm water during the winter.

I think Lomborg is interesting because he do not discuss global warming and just say there exist more imediate problems on Earth than climate change such as poverty. He also say (if I remember right) with just a fraction of the money used on the global warming issue we could actually solve some of these issues and much faster. I also think the key word is adaption and poor people/nations is not as adaptive as the rich.
Old 25-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjoorka
Also I heard that if enough of the Ice up north melt it actually would start an "ice age" by cooling the golf stream (think this is the right name) so Europe won't get its supply of warm water during the winter.

I think Lomborg is interesting because he do not discuss global warming and just say there exist more imediate problems on Earth than climate change such as poverty. He also say (if I remember right) with just a fraction of the money used on the global warming issue we could actually solve some of these issues and much faster. I also think the key word is adaption and poor people/nations is not as adaptive as the rich.

See, at least thats thinking. A bit flawed IMO though...

large amounts of fresh water can, and have changed the flow of water from the equator up to europe. But, the temps europe has, arent really "normal" either. If it gets warmer, the warming effect may balance out the effect of the lack of airflow.

Also, Peoverty and all that have always been prevalent, and have not been solved. Why not take some money out of the TRILLIONS spent on the US defence budget other then programs that are trying to understand our future, and our part in it.

Yes adaptation is the key, but povertry is evidence of more then a climte phemonimon, that is more of a social problem.
Old 25-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Greybeard

I wonder why the Canadians are so interested in the US defense budget. Don't the Canadians have a budget?

Clue: Poverty has been around for a long time, and the problem has not been solved. Climate change is a new phenomenon. Hmmm.
Old 25-01-2012, 01:47 AM
Quagmire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard
Clue: Poverty has been around for a long time, and the problem has not been solved. Climate change is a new phenomenon. Hmmm.

You could argue that climate change has existed on Earth for as long as Earth has existed... that would make poverty the young one.
Old 25-01-2012, 02:22 AM
Greybeard

Climate change is a constant on Earth. What is new is, that like 2012, it is a fad we can fret over. Poverty is a condition we could alleviate if we chose to do so; climate change is not. All we can do with the climate is adapt ourselves to it.

Personally, I am deeply concerned about the missing planet between Mars and Jupiter. What became of it? How can we replace it?
Old 25-01-2012, 02:35 AM
Arawn

That's really interesting and something I didn't know. I don't really know what to say since I don't think Global Warming is all man-made and that I really don't mind the extra growth.