Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Taoism

Old 08-03-2012, 02:27 AM
Master
Wu wei

Doing without effort. It involves listening to my inner voice and allowing myself and my activities to "flow" without hindrance. I'll then often find myself in precisely the right place at the right time to best use my gifts or take advantage of whatever I'm given. I've managed to cultivate this is a very big way over the years (it is also useful in my teachings with my students when I'm trying to find a way to reach them).
Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 AM
Master
I'd like to know more about how you've cultivated it, John.

Letting go of the effort habit is quite a challenge because you can't 'do' it.

Xan

Old 09-03-2012, 01:27 AM
Master
That's the weird thing-it came absolutely naturally to me. I just allow myself to listen to my inner voice, allow myself to "drift" (for lack of a better word) to the right place and time, setting aside all attachments, and there along the path is something waiting for me or a solution presents itself or it (whatever "it" is) all works out. Trivial but illustrative example: a friend needed a college catalogue (she lived out of town, and I was going to visit her on the weekend to deliver it). Come Friday and my lazy *** (as usual) has procastinated on it all week. I'm walking to my car on Friday afternoon, it looks like rain is in the offing, and-right there on the hood of a car-is the catalogue I needed to get her.

I don't know if this will help, tried explaining it as best I can.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:33 AM
Mayflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool
Doing without effort. It involves listening to my inner voice and allowing myself and my activities to "flow" without hindrance. I'll then often find myself in precisely the right place at the right time to best use my gifts or take advantage of whatever I'm given. I've managed to cultivate this is a very big way over the years (it is also useful in my teachings with my students when I'm trying to find a way to reach them).

You have students? What are they learning from you?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:00 PM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Life is constantly conversing with us, it speaks through 'feeling'.. Wu-Wei, is 'listening' to the feeling, sensing the natural rhythms and flow of Life.. if we 'hear/sense' our conversation with Life, we integrate with it effortlessly.. we realize our interconnectedness with Life and function in harmony with it..

Be well..
Old 10-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Master
LOL

Quote John ..[Trivial but illustrative example: a friend needed a college catalogue (she lived out of town, and I was going to visit her on the weekend to deliver it). Come Friday and my lazy *** (as usual) has procastinated on it all week. I'm walking to my car on Friday afternoon, it looks like rain is in the offing, and-right there on the hood of a car-is the catalogue I needed to get her.
]

You have to love that .. I know me and my big mouth ,,naturally says to people ( without me thinking of time or cost ) OH I will get that or this for you ..and after saying it I am looking up thinking OMG ..how is that meant to happen or fit into my busy life ..it happens ..it simply does ..and I am grateful ..always delighted ..and it needs no explaining..

One fav sayings of late ... I have in my head Is .." Can I have an AAWEEEEEEEEEEEEE moment please God ..you do it so well "

Its Grand :)

Love it

lol
Old 10-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflow
You have students? What are they learning from you?

Mostly practical things (reading, writing, arithmetic), but often I've found the (indirect) force of my personality and beliefs influencing them in more subtle yet nonetheless profound ways. For example, a fellow teacher who was a close friend of a student I worked with said that I alone was able to reach him-and in fact that is probably a much better example of wu wei than the one I gave above-all I remember was being supportive yet firm, compassionate yet unattached, always finding ways to explain things such that he would get it. I didn't "try" to save him in any way, just took things moment by moment.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Mayflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool
Mostly practical things (reading, writing, arithmetic), but often I've found the (indirect) force of my personality and beliefs influencing them in more subtle yet nonetheless profound ways. For example, a fellow teacher who was a close friend of a student I worked with said that I alone was able to reach him-and in fact that is probably a much better example of wu wei than the one I gave above-all I remember was being supportive yet firm, compassionate yet unattached, always finding ways to explain things such that he would get it. I didn't "try" to save him in any way, just took things moment by moment.

Wu wei is doing without effort so it seems you just do things that come natural to you and it appears to work well and be helpful to others and true to yourself. This seems to me to be a pretty good way to be. I don't think everyone is yet ready to do this, but it does seem a very good thing to me. Indirect teachings are invaluable I think.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:02 AM
Rin

Wu wei is not doing without effort but doing without unnecessary effort. It is not opposed to action, which always requires some effort at least.
But, one should only use as much energy as is necessary to achieve one's goal and nothing more. This requires great awareness about what one is doing and its timing.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:12 AM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin
Wu wei is not doing without effort but doing without unnecessary effort. It is not opposed to action, which always requires some effort at least.
But, one should only use as much energy as is necessary to achieve one's goal and nothing more. This requires great awareness about what one is doing and its timing.
Hi Rin: Like, maximum result for minimal effort..

Be well..